Celebrating 20 Years of Xbox

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We used to have an Xbox thread, in the old universe. But not in this new one we find ourselves in... until now!

Besides just liking to have a thread to talk about Xbox, I just wanted to share some stuff I've been up working late on for the holiday (over several days) that is relevant to the topic:

Hope some of you find this informative or, if nothing else, enjoy some of the staged amateur photography.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I got my Xbox from a good buddy of mine. He got it when he was deployed in Iraq, and brought it home with him. He then decided that he shouldn't have it as it would effect his studying in college. So I bought it off of him, with an s type controller and Halo 1. I was hooked! I got KOTOR, and a ton of other games! I really had a blast with it at my first apartment in college, and I probably have more games for it than anything else that generation. My most rare game has to be Conker's bad furday.

See what I did there?

Last edited:

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I only ever had a 360, and it was mostly used as a Fallout and Skyrim machine, with a few odd other exceptions here and there. Definitely enjoyed it, surprised it didn't die with how hard I went in on New Vegas right after its launch. Wish I'd kept it, though.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I got an Xbox 360 as a Graduation gift from my girlfriend and friends at the time. They were hard to find, but they got me one! We played Halo 2 on it that first night with it connected to a old PC monitor. The first game I got for it was Call of Duty 2, as the in store demos were awesome! I picked up a few games for it, but the big one was Dead Rising. It was a load of fun! That summer after Gradation I was back at my folks house, where I would play KOTOR 2 on it until the sun came up. When I got a job and my own apartment, I got the internet and discovered two joys of the Xbox 360: Gears of War and Xbox Live. I loved that game, and had a blast playing multiplayer! In the spring of 2007, I got my first HDTV after I got my Six month raise from my job. It was a 42" 1080p Sharp Aquos LCD flat panel. It weighs 78 pounds(36 kilos)! My Xbox 360 looked amazing on that! At that point I started playing some Halo 3 with the guys at work. I also got the HD-DVD add on drive for the Xbox 360. I know that a lot of folks diss it, but at the time the movies were great and it didn't put any strain on your 360 disk drive to play movies like the PS3's did. Also, with the movies being region free, I was able to watch Mr Bean's Holiday on HD DVD in my living room the day it was opening in theaters here in the US. That was unheard of back in 2007! Of course my 360 got the RROD, and had to be sent back and replaced. Eventually I got a Xbox 360 Slim(The first revision not the last one that came out after the Xbox One had come out) and I played the heck out of that! The HDMI out gave a much better picture and at that time I had a 1080p Projector in my new house with 5.1 surround sound. Gaming on that was epic! COD multiplayer had a bit of extra lag to it, but otherwise, it was fun! I played the heck out of this console. I have around 80 games for it, and I got into customizing the controllers. I made an all pink one for my buddy so when he beat the COD bros he could let them know he did it with a pink controller! lol.

I got a used Xbox One off of ebay about 7 months after it launched. I was dating my now wife at this point and didn't have too much time to game, but still wanted to play. Eventually, I just stopped having time to play, but it sits there, underneath the tv now. It disk drive is messed up, and I should open it up to see if I can fix it. I plan on getting a Series X this coming year for my office/gameroom, and when I do that, I have a bunch of xbox One games that I still need to play through.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't have time for a long post right now, so I'm just going to tell my Xbox story in pieces.

First time I remember seeing an Xbox in person was at the EB Games at Yorkdale, right after it launched-- possibly the day after.

My recollection here is a little murky. I think the kiosk might have been running an Oddworld game and was occupied, unless that was later.

I do remember that, unless I'm mistaken, the first game I played for it on the demo unit there was the one I was most interested in: WWF Raw.

I don't remember much about the gameplay, though apparently it's a pretty bad game. I mainly remember being impressed by the graphics, and also in awe at the size of that first controller. I'd like to see how that would feel in my hands today.

It was neat, but I was still dismissive then because "lol micro$oft" and all that at the time.

Funny how things change...

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I got my first Xbox for KOTOR. I already had a PS2 and a GameCube, but I quickly discovered that multiplatform titles tended to look and perform better on the Xbox so it ended up being my main console for them as well.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
As I mentioned at the time, I got an Xbox 360 at a rummage sale back in the spring. Right now it's still in pieces all over the room because I thought I could maybe address the grinding noise the disc drive makes, but I ran out of ideas once I got it open and couldn't find any obvious sources of friction. But also I don't really know what games are available that I'd want. Red Dead Redemption and Viva Piñata are the only ones I've been able to think of. Just about everything else worth playing that generation was either a PS3 or Wii exclusive or also on PC.

I've actually passed up multiple original Xboxes at thrift stores over the past few years for similar reasons; I'm not aware of it having any exclusives worth playing at all.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Am I the only one who liked the original controller? I though it fit my hands fine.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Am I the only one who liked the original controller? I though it fit my hands fine.
I'd like to give it another go.

As I mentioned at the time, I got an Xbox 360 at a rummage sale back in the spring. Right now it's still in pieces all over the room because I thought I could maybe address the grinding noise the disc drive makes, but I ran out of ideas once I got it open and couldn't find any obvious sources of friction. But also I don't really know what games are available that I'd want. Red Dead Redemption and Viva Piñata are the only ones I've been able to think of. Just about everything else worth playing that generation was either a PS3 or Wii exclusive or also on PC.

I've actually passed up multiple original Xboxes at thrift stores over the past few years for similar reasons; I'm not aware of it having any exclusives worth playing at all.
There are definitely games worth playing on both. Hoping to do something with that idea soon.

Pale Rider

Citizen
I recently did some housecleaning on my 360 to remove all the games that I no longer needed it for and I was surprised how many remained.

I hope Microsoft changes their mind about the backward compatibility program. There are still a lot of old games that are stranded on old hardware.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I agree so much on that.

Having Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed there but not their predecessors has been killing me for years.

And while not a BC issue, I really wish they would port Halo: Spartan Strike over already.

Pale Rider

Citizen
I can't believe Soulcalibur IV and V haven't been either remastered and re-released or made backward compatible. Same with Fall of Cybertron. Those were some big games on the 360 and it's a shame we can't play them on new consoles.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
The problem with Xbox backwards compatibility is that Microsoft isn't doing this out of altruism; while they're perfectly fine with you being able to play your existing purchases, any work they put into backcompat has to also be able to be purchased digitially, as such they need to work out the rights with each of these titles. In some cases, these companies don't even exist anymore, making it impossible to track down who owns the rights (if they even belong to a company that's in the business of selling games), in other cases its games made with licenses (like the Cybertron or Riddick games) where they'd have to work the licensing out with a third party on top of the publisher. Additionally, remasters are a big thing these days, and a company like Activision would rather you pay $60 for the Fall of Cybertron remaster than use your existing War for Cybertron or Fall of Cybertron discs. And at the end of the day, some companies just don't care enough to participate in the program.

Beyond that, there's just some titles that aren't ever going to be compatible. Kinect titles, titles that use the OG Xbox's analog buttons, and a few titles that are just programmed differently enough that they defy emulation. Xbox has said they've reached the end of where backwards compatibility can take them within these limitation, and while I'm sure they could probably eke out a few more here and there, the broader program is probably going to get refocused to implementing enhancements to older titles (4k resolution, HDR, better framerates etc. etc.)

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I imagine the Series X is powerful enough that it could just straight-up emulate the 360. Whatever they did to get eight 1.8GHz cores to do the work of three 3.2GHz ones is still witchcraft to me, and it's no surprise it required effectively modding the games, but the Series X's CPU is clocked at 3.8. If they needed to, they could dedicate three cores to just translating instructions from PowerPC to x86 and three more to execution. I don't know how many games with physical releases are still stranded, and obviously their hands are probably tied as far as digital ones (it still amazes me how open-ended Steam's agreement with third parties is and how few publishers have rejected it; if Microsoft thought they didn't have enough clout for that, then they were selling themselves short), so it might just not be worth the effort when the One's backward compatibility code already runs on the Series X with the added benefit of upscaling.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Eh, I haven't done much to keep this thread up, have I?

Following on from above, the next time I really remember getting involved with Xbox was when I was working at Blockbuster. Good times.

Money was tight at the time, so all we owned from that generation was the GameCube my parents got us the Christmas after we got married. Working at Blockbuster proved to be a boon to our gaming interests at the time.

I ended up keeping a PlayStation 2 and Xbox perpetually rented out. Well, I say perpetually... I think I might have had to alternate, I'm not quite sure. The Xbox spent a fair bit of time in our home, though...

The main game I'd play on it? Burnout 3. Man, that game was such a great stress reliever after work. I wish I could still play it today.

I also spent a fair bit of time with the Dead Or Alive trilogy. Crazy Taxi 3 and Cabella come to mind as well, at least at the store's demo kiosk, which I was more or less in charge of for a time... I'd have to look to see if I can remember any others I'd rent or put in frequently.

It was some good times, but eventually I left the job there. Wish I'd been able to maybe purchase that Xbox (I think it was possible with the "no more late fees" thing, but we couldn't afford that). I think that was the last time I really got to do anything with an OG Xbox.

Hopefully I can get another one sometime, but right now, I'm more interested in what came after.

Top Bottom