Car Meachanic Simulator 2021

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Okay, so one of the youtubers I routinely watch for "let's play" videos recently started doing a CSM 2021 series. Which inspired me to try CMS 2018 again. Which... did not work... did not...

I like the core concept of most "simulator" games. I've been a fan of mechanic simulators way back to "gearhead garage" and "Street Rod". But there is a fine line where I just check out because; quite frankly, it gets too realistic. CSM 2018 didn't do anything for me. The controls were slow, the cars over detailed and the processes complicated. While it's probably a more accurate simulator of actually working on a car: I don't find it fun.

But still... I wanted to keep trying. 2021 had a demo, and the let's play stuff was making it look very good. After running through the demo, I went and spent the money on it. I don't regret it: even if deep engine work is still tedious. :D

Controls are fairly fluid, breaking down and rebuilding the cars are streamlined (in comparison.) and the extra tools are automatic use so you just get information to work with and not another puzzle to understand. Combined with the simplified job system: you can fairly quickly get even complicated jobs done and always have your hands on something new and be pushing forward in skill and shop progression. I'm actually looking forward to acquiring my first barn or junkyard find and rebuilding it. Hell, I'm giving serious consideration to the marked DLC's.

Is anyone else playing?

Cradok

Citizen
I played a lot of 2018, I generally find stuff like that super interesting. I love knowing how things come apart (I love World of Guns for much the same reason, I'm not a huge gun person, but I love the mechanical aspect). I personally thought it could have gone further, the car exterior and interior parts are pretty basic, and there's no wire or pipes.

As a game, CMS did leave a lot to be desired. Pulling off every bolt on every part is only vaguely interesting the first few times, and gets downright tedious by the time you're stripping a car to the chassis to get at all the damaged parts. The shop interface, likewise, it's fun finding the parts the first few times, but it again gets pretty tedious when you've got fifty things to buy, and that's before you get into tyres. And then there's the grind, wow. I basically got everything I wanted out of the game, did repairs, made the garage big, refurbished personal cars, and I was still only about halfway to unlocking the spray shop.

Top Bottom