Captain Laserhawk on Netflix (crossover with Rayman, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good and Evil)

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Was there any hype for Captain Laserhawk? It's a six ep show that crosses over Rayman, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Beyond Good and Evil and other games.

I actually saw this clip first and got me interested cuz of the animation style and the sudden 16 bit (?) game graphics.

I thought the whole show would have those game graphics and, yeah, they do but the most enjoyable parts of the show were the first three eps, then it got post apocalyptic serious, aw. Would there were more of the first three eps type.

I've never actually played Rayman or Splinter Cell or Assassin's Creed but I recognized the references. I didn't get Beyond Good and Evil, Rainbow Six something, Farcry, Rabbids, Crew, Watchdogs etc until i checked the cast list after.

The only game franchise reference I did get and did play was Just Dance, which was a side commercial Must Dance, haha

I figure gamers would be into this? I'd actually like a second season and maybe they can shove more references that I don't get, haha.

Fave character is the Assassin and the twist.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I'm up to ep four, and other than the fact that it's mildly entertaining: ubisoft paid netflix for a blowjob. That's basically all this is. They could have wholesale lifted the plot and tone for the actual blood dragon game (which was a standalone derivative of far cry 3 and a love letter to late 80's early 90's dystopian action films.) and made a series based on that and it would have been just as okay.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I had to look up Blood Dragon after you said it. Holy cow, it's trippy! And the main guy Rex Power Colt has a face plate and a robot arm too! Maybe he was originally suppose to be Laserhawk as a game homage anyway? Powercolt = Laserhawk?

Anyhow, you must be done with the last two eps. What did you think?

I think I would have been fine if they kept the Suicide Squad aspect and continued to use more Ubi game homages. I mean, I would have gone bonkers if they used one for the Just Dance instructors as an agent or an enemy (or like a squad of killers with rhythmic dance moves and chameleon clothes switching).

And more of the fun game graphics inserts. We didn't even get a quick time event.

20231024_232129.jpg

The dating sim (?) was super silly, haha
20231024_232222.jpg

We kinda lost these bits when things got serious / dramatic. I mean, did the wrestling parts even have wrestling controls or brawler type stuff?

Oh, I didn't realize until after that Laserhawk practically has a Megabuster from Megaman AND he has my favorite travel mechanic, a Bionic Commando grapple type. Sorta. Would that he used it more, haha.

Also, since I don't know, what's up with Bullfrog having an oracle bubble thing? Is that an Assassin's Creed thing? Cuz they're from the future, using VR to go to the past?

And Rayman? I don't know his game mechanic either but is he some sort of autonomous anti gravity creature? Having disembodied hands and feet is actually a cool ish super ability.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Rayman started as a side scroller, and I eventually spawned the whole "rabbids" franchise; and that's the length and breadth of my knowledge about as I've never played those games. So the whole armless/legless thing was an artistic and game mechanic choice.

And yeah, seems like the tone and art direction changes pretty drastically at the halfway point, almost like they switched writers and they did not agree with each other on standards.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I found out about this via screencaps/clips of Rayman having gone off the deep end making the rounds on twitter, so that bit was spoiled going in, so there was an expectation that Everything Was Going to Go to Even Worse Shit when I started. I had a lot more of a fun time than I expected to, for what amounts to an Ubisoft version of There Will Be Brawl. Probably would've been pissed if I was invested in Beyond Good & Evil, tho. My only real gripe was that Bullfrog was a pain in the ass to understand what he was saying.

Sjogre

Citizen
And yeah, seems like the tone and art direction changes pretty drastically at the halfway point, almost like they switched writers and they did not agree with each other on standards.
The first episode ended with Laserhawk betrayed and nearly killed by his lover, then enslaved by the authorities, so I'd say that it continued as it started. It's just... Usually a series would lighten up a bit by the end, but this had a downer ending. And middle. Kind of a grim story, under all the neon.

So....

Was the Warden really Sara Fisher, or was she just using Sara's face? When she was shown to be the Sigma director, I took it as a given that she was only disguised as Fisher, but some people seem to think otherwise. Combined with being fully robotic while the Cybersoldiers seen were only partial, and discussing adding new blood to Eden like she didn't count as such, I got the feeling that Sara Fisher was only one identity that she's used.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Well, while it didn't lighten up, per se, it did at least make some considerable headway into giving the world some hope with what Rayman and Laserhawk pulled off. (At least, prior to coming back to the VR Facility in Laserhawk's case, but that long-shot bomb bit got a real good cackle out of me, even if it didn't work out.)

I'm not really sure what to expect out of the Warden in that particular context, it could go a number of ways.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Dunno anything about Splinter Cell so don't know about if Sara Fisher is real or not, via her characterization. Like, looking at The Crew game, I don't think Alex Taylor is gay there either and it's just a new thing they did for the show. (Pagan Min is listed as bisexual in Far Cry). I suppose it softens the blow to Beyond Good and Evil fans, with the raw deal Jade and Pej spelling got.

(It's not I felt when IDW Countdown was killed off unceremoniously by the personality ticks issue. He was my childhood fave and he got done dirty!)

I think the Continue option means in-show extra Lives for the characters. It would cheapen the fatalities so I don't know if I want it to happen not. Though I do want folks to have a happy ending, even Alex. And there is a precedent, with the second Rayman.

Edit - oh, I totally enjoy the hilarious Red and the Niji 6 so I want them back to life too. Some of them were possibly killed by Laserhawk at the start and their bodies could have been replaced. Sooo that could be a thing too. They're my secondary fave characters to see, next to Bullfrog, haha

Last edited:

Top Bottom