Canon/Transformers Collaboration

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
22222.PNG

His little camera hat is adorable.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I'm curious what prompts them to choose between making new characters for these crossovers, or using existing popular ones?

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Total units sold, likely. An original character probably sells far less than shoehorning Optimus Prime in somehow.

RCX

Citizen
Apparently NOT working cameras, and not 1:1 size. Roughly 80% of original models.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Still less than the actual camera, the body alone without the rest is close to four thousand bucks, isn't it? This is like a weird Rolex crossover or something.

Reflector's head looks sort of like Megatrons. Now I want to see a Canon Megatron with his cannon so Canon Megatron's Canon Cannon will be Canon.

My brain hurts now.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Reflector's head looks sort of like Megatrons. Now I want to see a Canon Megatron with his cannon so Canon Megatron's Canon Cannon will be Canon.
When the first preview pics of Reflector went up, people elsewhere thought that he was Megatron.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen

My brain hurts now.

Heh, if you think that's bad, look for the 1985 animated "Solar Adventure". It features a Korean version of Whirl (piloted, so I guess it would be the Dorvack Gazette) on a mission to retrieve the Canon Robo, a Korean version of Reflector, which gets used as a super-powerful laser cannon. Totally looks like a camera shooting a beam.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
This thread isn't linked to at the main page(s) for these stories at the main thread. Could someone fix it/them please?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm curious what prompts them to choose between making new characters for these crossovers, or using existing popular ones?

Total units sold, likely. An original character probably sells far less than shoehorning Optimus Prime in somehow.
I'd say a combination of that and the property in question.

A transforming Ecto-1 or DeLorean? That sells itself.

A transforming Canon camera? Weeeeeeeeeeeell... maybe, but it seems like a totally different type of demographic.

One could also argue that in the former cases, Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are the fiction, whereas here, Optimus Prime is the fiction, and so has more of a load to carry.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'd say a combination of that and the property in question.

A transforming Ecto-1 or DeLorean? That sells itself.

A transforming Canon camera? Weeeeeeeeeeeell... maybe, but it seems like a totally different type of demographic.

One could also argue that in the former cases, Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are the fiction, whereas here, Optimus Prime is the fiction, and so has more of a load to carry.
These types are not really "crossover" figures, like the Hasbro versions. They're more like previous Takara "collaboration" figures, such as OP pen, OP Playstation/Megadrive Megatron, sport cap OP, trainers OP, USB Ravage, MP3 player Soundwave, etc. They are mainly to promote a brand of goods, etc.

Top Bottom