Can no longer subscribe to Transformers comics via Comixology

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
I've found a rather torturous way to save the images one by one while using the Kindle Reader on the Amazon site in Firefox but the resolution is nowhere near as good as it was in Comixology.
Don't torture yourself: look into Calibre.

TerraEsperZ

Videogame Cartographer
Citizen
If we don't count mangas as comics, Amazon has pretty much conquered the whole market aside from DC and Marvel that have their own platforms.

TerraEsperZ

Videogame Cartographer
Citizen
I did but even with the appropriate plugin (DeDRM), it couldn't remove the DRM from the new IDW issues I bought and judging from the file size, the quality was almost certainly the same as what I grabbed manually. And considering that would be my only use for Calibre, I just uninstalled it.

Salt-Man Z

Citizen
I did but even with the appropriate plugin (DeDRM), it couldn't remove the DRM from the new IDW issues I bought and judging from the file size, the quality was almost certainly the same as what I grabbed manually. And considering that would be my only use for Calibre, I just uninstalled it.
DeDRM has to be set up with the serial number of the device you told Amazon your were transferring the book to, or it doesn't do anything. Calibre can't even open your AZW3 files if DeDRM isn't set up correctly. Once DeDRM is set up, and the book converted, the resulting individual images are 1249x1920px, averaging maybe 700KB each.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I'd try the CMX Customer Service email, I've seen complaints to Amazon help during this where the help staffer seemed to not even understand Amazon owned CMX even after being pointed towards the logo "Comixology: An Amazon Company".
Well, if they're going to get back to me, they're certainly in no hurry to do so.

TerraEsperZ

Videogame Cartographer
Citizen
DeDRM has to be set up with the serial number of the device you told Amazon your were transferring the book to, or it doesn't do anything. Calibre can't even open your AZW3 files if DeDRM isn't set up correctly. Once DeDRM is set up, and the book converted, the resulting individual images are 1249x1920px, averaging maybe 700KB each.
That's the problem, I don't have such a device since I'm using my PC. However, the images I'm saving using Page Info (CTRL + I) in Firefox have the same resolution so it's only taking me a few minutes more than by using Calibre.

The Phazer

Citizen
Comixology posted a small Twitter thread about the changes today. It was sort of a grudging acknowledgement there are issues, but without any meaningful promises of improvement or genuine apology.

TerraEsperZ

Videogame Cartographer
Citizen
I wonder just how often the acquisition of a small company by a much bigger one results in better products and/or service to the customers. I'd say very rarely, if not exceptionally rarely.

The Phazer

Citizen
I guess it does depend on if you regard "continues to exist" as a benefit to customers - Comixology at the time lost money (indeed, for sales through their iOS app Apple charged Comixology more than their margin on most books, so they were losing money on every sale and hoping to make it up through scale).

Of course, there might be other ways to address that - Comixology might have run a more sensible business course if it wasn't aiming to get acquired, and working anti-trust law would prevent the iOS app store scam in the first place.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Was that an old feature? Because you couldn't use the app to buy books for as long as I've had it.

Salt-Man Z

Citizen
That's the problem, I don't have such a device since I'm using my PC. However, the images I'm saving using Page Info (CTRL + I) in Firefox have the same resolution so it's only taking me a few minutes more than by using Calibre.
DeDRM can be made to work with the desktop Kindle Reader program, but you have to locate and install an older version (the current one's DRM is too strong) and it sounds like you've got yourself covered anyway!

Top Bottom