Buzzworthy Bumblebee - the "everything goes" toyline

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Watch them retool the Kingdom Waspinator mold and retcon Bumblebee into Beast Wars...

They have to be very careful doing that. From what I remember hearing, if they release a Bumblebee (the character) that turns into a bumblebee (the insect), then it actually weakens their claim on the trademark as the word could be thought of as a description rather than a name.

It's the same reason why, in recent years, they insist that the toys "convert" instead of "transform," because they want to keep Transformers as a name, not a description.

Or as is my understanding.

Nevermore

Citizen
They have to be very careful doing that. From what I remember hearing, if they release a Bumblebee (the character) that turns into a bumblebee (the insect), then it actually weakens their claim on the trademark as the word could be thought of as a description rather than a name.

It's the same reason why, in recent years, they insist that the toys "convert" instead of "transform," because they want to keep Transformers as a name, not a description.

Yes and no.

It may weaken their trademark if was the only "Bumblebee" toy they were putting out in like two years. As long as they have a shitton of other "Bumblebee" toys that aren't insects, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Besides, they could always call him "Maximal Bumblebee" or "Beast Bumblebee" and use the compound term as a trademark. Works with "Predacon Tarantulas".

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yes and no.

It may weaken their trademark if was the only "Bumblebee" toy they were putting out in like two years. As long as they have a shitton of other "Bumblebee" toys that aren't insects, it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Besides, they could always call him "Maximal Bumblebee" or "Beast Bumblebee" and use the compound term as a trademark. Works with "Predacon Tarantulas".
Or just call him "Goldbug" despite having a Bumblebee head, with a sort of nod and wink like they do.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Creatures Collide 4-pack designer notes from Mark Maher:

Now that some time has passed, I’m able to share with you the Creatures Collide Buzzworthy Bumblebee four pack! I had a really great time working on this pack and I hope all of you have had a chance to scoup it from 🎯 Target.
So I’ve seen a lot of great pictures being posted of these great characters, but I did not see many mention the black hardware that was issued on all of the creatures in the pack. I thought the black hardware was essential to relay how evil these guys are. I tried for copper hardware for the main man Goldbug but alas, that hardware does not meet our current safety standards.
As you swipe you can see I was able to keep all the extra heads for the creatures. My idea behind this was just lil old Goldbug going up against an army of insecticons and predacons, obviously he triumphs defying all odds. The extra head with ransack was to utilize your Legacy Kickback for that sweet G1 look with the black visor! For the Waruader Parasyte you have the alternate head that is linked to the Skywasp horrorcon prototype that was never released back in the day of beast wars. The other head of Scorponok was paying homage to his first toy release mutant battle mask. I did my damnedest to try to match that crazy pearl essence metallic blurple color on his OG toy but I ended up leaning more towards predacon purple and I even matched the partial transparent look with the metallic fleck the original rocked.
Ive been really trying hard to have secret features hidden in the first molds of character releases to sweeten the deal for their redeco releases. That mid section torso was the idea me and Kunihiro san worked on together to give the redeco Ransack as much love as possible. Be on the lookout 👀 for more features such as these!
This pack also delivers the #netflix Bumblebee licensed VW mold which was also my plan up front when we did the Shattered Glass BB. This place moves incredibly fast and thoughts such as these always don’t come to fruition, but the fact that this release happened, gives me all the warm and fuzzy feels!!
Still trying to answer comments when I can, apologies for all that I miss! Pulsecon soon!!!!

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

Arguably, if he turns into a wasp, it's not a bee, and they could always call it "Goldbug" or something else. WE would still know the "correct" name for him regardless...

Anyway, I didn't understand the designer's reference to "black hardware" and a "black visor". I could only see red visors and multicoloured accessories. Also, what's the reference to "bronze hardware" and it being "dangerous"?

Last edited:

Nevermore

Citizen
Arguably, of he turns into a wasp, it's not a bee, and they could always call it "Goldbug" or something else. WE would still know the "correct" name for him regardless...

Anyway, I didn't understand the designer's reference to "black hardware" and a "black visor". I could only see red visors and multicoloured accessories. Also, what's the reference to "bronze hardware" and it being "dangerous"?

From what I was told, "hardware" refers to the pins.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

From what I was told, "hardware" refers to the pins.

Yeah, it seems to refer to the pins, which I have to admit I hadn't noticed until he mentioned them. With them being black, they become a lot less noticeable, which is nice.

Not sure why the copper colored ones wouldn't pass safety, unless the copper-colored coating isn't approved for children's toys.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Yeah, it seems to refer to the pins, which I have to admit I hadn't noticed until he mentioned them. With them being black, they become a lot less noticeable, which is nice.

Not sure why the copper colored ones wouldn't pass safety, unless the copper-colored coating isn't approved for children's toys.

Cheers. Any info about the "black visor" they mentioned? I only saw red ones? Also, why would the designer want bronze pins for a gold repaint of BB?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Cheers. Any info about the "black visor" they mentioned? I only saw red ones? Also, why would the designer want bronze pins for a gold repaint of BB?

The set includes a toy-accurate, black-visored head for Kickback. The Legacy Kickback comes with a cartoon-accurate red visor.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
The set includes a toy-accurate, black-visored head for Kickback. The Legacy Kickback comes with a cartoon-accurate red visor.

Ahh, yes, silly me. I was looking at the picture showing the loose accessories, which seems to have a red visor...

Head Swap.png

Because bronze is a better color match for gold than black is. Bronze pins would blend in better and stand out less, color-wise, than black pins would.

I suppose, but I suspect I would want to paint over them with gold paint regardless...

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
TakaraTomy often used black hardware in their Generations line. They sometimes use it in Masterpiece, particularly if the figure is black (Skywarp). Nice to see that this was a consideration for this set.

Nevermore

Citizen
Creatures Collide and Energon Escape out at retail in Canada as Toys"R"Us exclusives (as alluded to on the previous page):
Creatures Collide.jpgEnergon Escape Canada.jpg

Energon Escape out at retail in Hong Kong:
Energon Escape Hong Kong.jpeg

Energon Escape out at US retail (found at Target in Albany, California):
Energon Escape US 1.jpegEnergon Escape US 2.jpegEnergon Escape US 3.jpeg

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Turns out that terrorsaur is in fact NOT exclusive, because my local TRU (brossard, QC.) actually had an entire pegs worth.

But the price is 44.99. Hell, it's 20 for a ******* basic. Guess I'm out of the hobby.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Huh? Buzzworthy Bumblebee is exclusive to Target in the US, and to TRU in Canada.
... I want to say that I've seen them at the local walmarts... but those might have been left over cybertron stuff.

Either way: I was under the impression that terrorsaur at least was a target exclusive.

Top Bottom