Botbots Appreciation thread!

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd believe literally any of that more if you hadn't spent all this time trying to make "Notbots" happen. This personal rejection of the line is fine, whatever, like what you like, but you can just admit these aren't for you and pass on them, without trying to beef up that position with the convenient "oh, but it's not me, it's the culture". With goalposts that go from "not kawai enough" to "they won't understand or like these punny names", which are entirely different reasons.

Name one other non-traditional aesthetic Transformers subline that has been retooled in that specific manner to appeal to the "older collector audience" when being brought over from the US to Japan. Go-Bots? Rescue Bots? Angrt Birds Transformers? Tiny Turbo Changers? There's more precedent for this not happening than there is for it happening. There's more precedent even for a line just not being brought over.

If anything, these could see a similar case to Kre-O where a handful are brought in with zero changes (with some as gashapon fodder, which the blind-packed nature of the line lends itself well to), or as Bot Shots/BeCool where they're repackaged as their own thing (maybe with different groupings or release organization). As with BeCool, color changes are entirely possible, although it's as likely to get a culture-based or "hewing closer to traditional TFs"-based reason for it as not.

Or if the cartoon-faithful aesthetic holds, we may get Netflix-based stuff that is recolored and possibly even retooled to be more in line with the show models. They HAVE a cartoon of their own to be more accurate to now, after all.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I'd believe literally any of that more if you hadn't spent all this time trying to make "Notbots" happen. This personal rejection of the line is fine, whatever, like what you like, but you can just admit these aren't for you and pass on them, without trying to beef up that position with the convenient "oh, but it's not me, it's the culture". With goalposts that go from "not kawai enough" to "they won't understand or like these punny names", which are entirely different reasons.

Name one other non-traditional aesthetic Transformers subline that has been retooled in that specific manner to appeal to the "older collector audience" when being brought over from the US to Japan. Go-Bots? Rescue Bots? Angrt Birds Transformers? Tiny Turbo Changers? There's more precedent for this not happening than there is for it happening. There's more precedent even for a line just not being brought over.

If anything, these could see a similar case to Kre-O where a handful are brought in with zero changes (with some as gashapon fodder, which the blind-packed nature of the line lends itself well to), or as Bot Shots/BeCool where they're repackaged as their own thing (maybe with different groupings or release organization). As with BeCool, color changes are entirely possible, although it's as likely to get a culture-based or "hewing closer to traditional TFs"-based reason for it as not.

Or if the cartoon-faithful aesthetic holds, we may get Netflix-based stuff that is recolored and possibly even retooled to be more in line with the show models. They HAVE a cartoon of their own to be more accurate to now, after all.

Again, no goalposts were changed. I'm sorry that you still keep thinking that. As for my references regarding Japanese culture, they are relevant and stand. It seems to me that your own apologist views for Botbots have clouded your judgement and that someone, such as myself, who raises one contrary to your own is somehow "wrong" or "hiding behind a culture". I will not hide behind my outspoken position here that there are parts of the toyline and show that I don't like, but that doesn't negate any points I've raised regarding potential reasons why Botbots (or indeed, as I've occasionally called them "Notbots") hasn't been released in Japan (including the show, which seems the only Netflix market which it's been blocked in).

The other point about other "cute" or "childish" western TFs not being released in Japan could just as easily correlate to my previous points; Rescue Bots et al could be seen as "too childish" in Japan for the currently aging TF collectors' market and as for Kre-O, I believe that I've already mentioned it alluded that such "limited" releases of "strange" TFs might be the way to go (rather than a more "mainstream" push into toyshop aisles).

I think, if anything, the gachapon market for Botbots would be the most attractive one. It might even be to the extent that the "Transformers" brand wasn't even mentioned and they were just sold as-is, without any back story or names (perhaps simply as "(ALTMODE NAME) robot/monster/boy/girl/etc".

Regardless, of all the unreleased (American) TFs that have "failed" to enter the Japanese market so far, Botbots seems to be one with the most potential, as the seemingly flat surfaces of some of the toys'features can be easily repainted/have different stickers added to them, to create new aesthetics.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
..."apologist views".

For a toyline.

And I'M the one with "clouded judgment" who's unwilling to accept a point of view "contrary to my own."

I'm not the one who renamed a toyline to invalidate its entire design sensibility (aside from certain designs I so magnanimously decide would fit my, I'm sorry, "a culture's", tastes).

I'm done. I'd be better off discussing this with a brick wall.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
..."apologist views".

For a toyline.

And I'M the one with "clouded judgment" who's unwilling to accept a point of view "contrary to my own."

I'm not the one who renamed a toyline to invalidate its entire design sensibility (aside from certain designs I so magnanimously decide would fit my, I'm sorry, "a culture's", tastes).

I'm done. I'd be better off discussing this with a brick wall.
I'm sorry you are unable to grasp the fundamentals of a contradictory POV. The best of luck in your endevours.

Dvandom

Citizen
Just got an email saying my wave 6 sets should be arriving at the beginning of September.

---Dave

Dvandom

Citizen
Now, usually when the ship date gets moved to such a stupidly distant day, it means they're not allowed to just put "We Dunno" so they pick a date really far off so that they can't be blamed for whenever it shows.

---Dave

NovaSaber

Citizen
But in this case, next April is also what Hasbro said when they revealed the wave in the first place.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Now Amazon is saying series 6 releases tomorrow.

Also, packaging pictures of the 8-packs:

Dvandom

Citizen
Yeah, once again I got a notification that my pre-orders would ship in a few days. Of course, last time that happened, it got pushed back to Spring 2023 soon after.

---Dave

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I havnt seen anyone say do this series come with a little catalogue/ checklist sheet like previous ones?

-ZacWilliam would have expected to see pics somewhere already if the did

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I havnt seen anyone say do this series come with a little catalogue/ checklist sheet like previous ones?

-ZacWilliam would have expected to see pics somewhere already if the did

Yes, Strafe from TFW2005 posted some pics in a thread over on that forum:

thread

There's a few great ones in there. Most of the Gamer Geeks are must-haves, like Pew Pew Pew, Go-Naut, Retro Recon, Joystick. They're all pretty great.

Top Bottom