Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Echowarrior

Citizen
I saw an article saying Black Panther's opening might be making the same amount that Black Adam has made so far.

This doesn't surprise me. Black Adam may or may not get a release in China, and that's going to take a chunk out of its box office. Plus, this is a sequel to Marvel's first billion-dollar blockbuster.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
Saw this today and loved it. Best movie of Phase 4, which I realize doesn't sound like THAT much of an accomplishment, but it's really, really good. (I mean, I loved No Way Home, but that was way more for nostalgia-bait reasons that had little to do with the quality of the movie)

It felt like a true sequel to the first movie, in a way that many MCU sequels don't. But at the same time, it added to the universe in a substantial way, which many MCU sequels also fail at. And my only real issue with the first movie (that lackluster final battle) was absolutely not an issue with this one.

It's crazy, it's almost like if you don't deflate every moment of tension or gravitas with a stupid joke, it really helps you invest in the movie.

MrBlud

Citizen
I largely enjoyed it. The final conflict was a bit idiot ball in setup but the resolution was worth it.

I enjoyed it less than No Way Home but it’s probably tied with Shang-Chi for second place.

Axaday

Citizen
It is easier for me to accept space aliens than Atlanteans, so I was concerned about that. And I was concerned that Shuri couldn't win the right to be the Black Panther in ritual combat in a real scenario. They mostly allayed my concerns. The story sidesteps those issues tidily.

M'Baku has grown as a person. I appreciated that.

I don't think they actually built an IronHeart suit for the production. IronMan's armor always looks real. IronHeart really looks like a 3-D cartoon and not cutting edge stuff.

I did not realize that Killmonger burning up the heart shaped herb was an ongoing story point. I'm pretty sure they found one he missed and had thought ever since that they'd been able to restore it from there, but I guess they just used the last one and it was gone.

This isn't exactly a complaint, because it was an intentional part of the story, but I didn't like Shuri. I liked her in Black Panther and Infinity War. It isn't because she or the writers forgot how to do it. They put an edge on on purpose for the story, but for ME it was a little too much or resolved too late in the story or something. I just left with a bad impression of her.

It isn't clear to me who will be The Black Panther next time.

So the Thunderbolts work for the regular plain old CIA? In retrospect I kinda feel like maybe that should have been plainer in Hawkeye, but it wasn't plain to me.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
A new thought crossed my mind, and I say this without having seen any spoilers that could potentially debunk it.

What if T'Challa being dead in this movie is actually a sign of the movie taking place before the Blip brought back him and everyone else snapped away by Thanos?

We did hear about an underwater earthquake in that movie that is believed to be foreshadowing Namor. Well, what if this movie is set during Endgame, after that scene, but before the time heist's conclusion?

That would allow them to make this be a movie without T'Challa, and then leave things open to possibly recast him later in the future of the MCU, after such amount of time has passed in the real world that recasting Boseman would no longer feel insensitive.

Sure, Endgame showing Shuri among those snapped away would be an issue, but that could easily be retconned away.
That would have been an interesting way to deal with it, but it isn't what they did as you are probably aware by now.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
So just saw it.

UN scene in the start is kinda weird. Like its there to establish that the thing that the UN states only care about is Wakandas vibranium and they are willing to attack them over it but it also they kinda gloss over that apparently Wakanda isn't actually helping people all that much which is sorta wierd gven the end of BP1. Honestly Wakanda is still pretty odd in the MCU. In another other setting they would be presented as an obviously evil nation given the way they operate and how they hoard life saving resources and technology due to xenophobic elitist belief that nobody deserves or can be trusted with them except them. When that carrier comes under attack they assume wakandans despite them not having done anything to provoke them and its kinda not hard to see why, in the past they've made it clear no nations governments or boundries matter to them enforcing their laws.

It's a small bit but Shuri completely dismissing the dangers of AI in a post Ultron world is... an opinion to be sure. I kinda also don't love that Riri gets her debue kinda relegated to the sidelines of this movie. I dunno. I get why this is where they wanted to insert her but feels like Id rather she had gotten her own standalone movie. I like seeing how people get to where the are and I feel like given Riri is kind of the next Iron man and how central Ironman was/is to the MCU that you know... maybe give her more to work with. Granted I know that its more Spiderman thats was/is supposed to become the heart of things but also like... we don't even know if hes showing up again or not

The queen stripping Okoye of her rank was hard to watch. And more than a little bit unfair. Sure the queen was emotional about shit but man throwing siding with Killmonger in her face when the entire reason she did that was the royal families own stupid rules is kinda low. the killmonger problem only existed because of the actions of her husband and the dumb traditions used to determine who gets to rule.

I know that we are supposed to be sympathic to Namor over what happened to his people but in the back of my mind I have to contend with the fact they are based off the Mayans and the Mayans were... really ******* messed up. I mean the god that Namor talks about his people praying too was the same god that they drowned babies alive to please. It doesn't change that the Spanards were ******* evil too but a sympathetic people it doesn't really make for.

Shuri.. just looked weird in the suit not gonna lie. Riri too. Shuri looks way to small and skinny that she doesn't look badass. Riri suit looks like a rushed CGI project for a proof of concept for some anime. again not great for her first outing but I appreciate its a mechanical suit at least. The nano armor was neat but I feel like everybody missed mechanical suits. Just something satisfiying about watching stuff move and have some physicality to it. Sorta wish we had gotten a proper suit up shot for either of her suits really, sort of a lost opportunity. Hopefully we will get it next time she shows up in the MCU

I dunno. It wasn't a bad movie in any ways but It does feel lacking and like we lost more than we gained. It's also inescapable not to notice the giant Boseman sized hole in it all.

MrBlud

Citizen
It’s entirely possible they were helping in other wars BESIDES their vibranium tech. And, they’re not wrong that other countries can’t be trusted with Vibranium given their actions in this movie or in real life because *any* country that has acknowledged superiority would violently assert it like the US very much does and Wakanda very much doesn’t.

The carrier was mining Vibranium. A resource that Wakanda said they’d go to any lengths to protect. They had just paraded prisoners that tried to steal some. They were BY FAR the most likely suspects.

Axaday

Citizen
It’s entirely possible they were helping in other wars BESIDES their vibranium tech. And, they’re not wrong that other countries can’t be trusted with Vibranium given their actions in this movie or in real life because *any* country that has acknowledged superiority would violently assert it like the US very much does and Wakanda very much doesn’t.

The carrier was mining Vibranium. A resource that Wakanda said they’d go to any lengths to protect. They had just paraded prisoners that tried to steal some. They were BY FAR the most likely suspects.
Oh, Blud.... When a ship at sea gets attacked, the most likely suspect is ALWAYS the Mayans and I am really surprised that I'm having to tell you that for what the THIRTIETH TIME???

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
I mean I literally said it wasn't hard to see why they were suspect number 1 with how they act. I'm not sure where you two are coming from? I'm very clearly saying that of course they suspected the Wakandans because they've made it clear they don't give a shit about anybody elses laws if its in the pursuit of getting vibranium back. Seems like we were all on the same page with that one.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Just got back from the movie. Very pleased with it overall, and I think that it was a great tribute to Chadwick Boseman. I do have one issue, however.

Where was Namor in the aftermath of the Snap? Thanos wiped out half of all life in the universe, so I would assume that includes half the population of Namor's civilization. Was Namor among the victims? If not, then why didn't he come up to the surface to investigate why half of his people had suddenly been wiped out? Also, how did he know about Wakanda? As pleased as I was with the film, that does feel like a plot hole that didn't get addressed.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Just because they are underwater mayans doesn't mean they don't have Wifi to check on the news, obviously.

Axaday

Citizen
I mean I literally said it wasn't hard to see why they were suspect number 1 with how they act. I'm not sure where you two are coming from? I'm very clearly saying that of course they suspected the Wakandans because they've made it clear they don't give a shit about anybody elses laws if its in the pursuit of getting vibranium back. Seems like we were all on the same page with that one.
Yes all on the same page.

Axaday

Citizen
Just got back from the movie. Very pleased with it overall, and I think that it was a great tribute to Chadwick Boseman. I do have one issue, however.

Where was Namor in the aftermath of the Snap? Thanos wiped out half of all life in the universe, so I would assume that includes half the population of Namor's civilization. Was Namor among the victims? If not, then why didn't he come up to the surface to investigate why half of his people had suddenly been wiped out? Also, how did he know about Wakanda? As pleased as I was with the film, that does feel like a plot hole that didn't get addressed.
He said he had heard legends of another place like his where people didn't have to change their lives because of colonizers. He didn't find out anything solid for a long time, but Wakanda has been revealed for several years. Not certain when HE found out, but now the knowledge is easy to get. He didn't come pay a visit until he had a greivance because HE was a secret too.

Last edited:

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it.

So Riri is 19 years old and at least a year in MIT. She's how much older than Peter Parker? Shame that they could have met up but Peter didn't make it to college, aw.

Why do they have Namora? Why not Namorita? Namorita was blue skinned for a while as Kymera spelling in the comics. Don't even know how that happened or how she became blue. Is Namorita still around anyway?

Movie kinda hurt alot. Too many people got killed when they didn't have to. War is hex and all that.

Also kinda unfocused at the start, when you're not sure if Shuri is the main character or not. It hovered to Okoye for a bit.

It's 550+million so far. Hope it reaches the 1 billion mark.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
it was a little all over the place in its storytelling, but ... boy howdy did that wrap up quickly... 5/10, wont need this one on bluray

wentwood

Citizen
Thanks for the heads up. I'll put this on my disk library list. I should be done with most of the Marvel movies late 2023. (Taking into account any single disks after Black Widow.) I finished all of Spider Man live except for No Way Home. I also need to watch X Men , and Fantastic 4 to catch up. Is Ghost Rider part of MCU or did he show up before MCU?

Echowarrior

Citizen
Thanks for the heads up. I'll put this on my disk library list. I should be done with most of the Marvel movies late 2023. (Taking into account any single disks after Black Widow.) I finished all of Spider Man live except for No Way Home. I also need to watch X Men , and Fantastic 4 to catch up. Is Ghost Rider part of MCU or did he show up before MCU?

The Nicholas Cage Ghost Rider movies were pre-MCU. A different incarnation of Ghost Rider appeared in the MCU as part of Agents of SHIELD, but its canonicity is currently dubious.

wentwood

Citizen
I got the first Black Panther movie with 23 others so I'll watch it when I get to it. I want to see it but not enough to pay 12 bucks in the theater. I'll watch it on Disney + possibly.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I watched this movie on Disney+ this weekend and I loved it! It's definitely the best MCU film since End Game, although I didn't like a few of the points in the film.

I really feel that they killed the Queen off, and nothing happens for it. Shuri sees her cousin in the night lands, and I freaking loved it. He was right, Killmonger was who she needed to see. I get the whole sparring Namor to prevent an eternal war, but if he killed my mom, his head would have been all that I would have brought back with me.

I think that Namor and his people are ehh. I really don't care for them, and I am a bit confused by them. Like how do they survive the battle on the bridge? Its like they just re-animated. Yet that doesn't come up again.

I was kind of bummed that they just start out with Tchalla dying off screen. I was kind of hoping that they would have him go out fighting someone. I do like that the mirrored the way he went, and I will be honest that Marvel footage reel of him after the opening scene got me choked up. Also, I loved that he had kid, and that his family got to be with him some, and his son got to know him.

Iron heart was great and I want to see more of her!

Top Bottom