Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
So I'm hearing reports Namor's actually Prince of Talocan and not (specifically) Atlantis.

This, naturally, has let to a general outrage and much wailing and gnashing of teeth from predictable portions of the fandom. For myself, I'm indifferent to the change. Firstly, nothing says Talocan isn't another name for Atlantis/suburb/province/etc. Secondly, Aquaman did get to the big screen first and stake the claim of Atlantis. While Marvel's Atlantians are quite different from DC's, no sense in muddying those waters until Disney and Warner Brothers decide to ride the Super Hero bubble down in flames with the MCU/DCEU crossover.

Shadewing

Citizen
I find it interest how they decided to scale the logo. Look at Spider-Man NWH, Spider-Man is big font. Thor love and thunder; Thor is in big font. Even MoM, Doctor Strange is in just slightly smaller font. But here? Its Black Panther Wakanda Forever; its black panther Wakanda Forever I have to wonder if the title size is scaled to how much Black Panther is actually in this movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This movie is also the milestone 30th movie in the MCU. For that alone, it needs to be a really big deal.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
I got off the MCU train with Endgame.
I'll come back for Wakanda Forever. Not simply because Black Panther was damn good, not simply because the Chadwick Boseman tributes are on point, but because the movie actually looks GOOD. Namor looks fantastic. I want to know more.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Gonna be honest, them making Letitia Wright the new Black Panther is a huge turnoff to me wanting to see it. Her Anti-Vax nonsense should have lead to her getting the boot, not the big chair.

Paladin

Citizen
so from the look of it the MCU really went ahead and replaced Chadwick Boseman with a transphobic antivaxxer.

Way to piss on a hero's grave.

Shadewing

Citizen
I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that most of this was already shot and decided, before that came out. As iirc there was a fairly long delay in filming afterwards; so maybe they were considering letting her go but there was just too much work done already to completely scrap her at Black Panther. That said, I am REALLY not happy with this.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
iirc the delay in filming was BECAUSE Wight didn't want to get vaccinated and follow covid guidelines.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
She has been injured and went home to recover. She eventually rejoined filming. Guidelines mentioned she needed to be vaccinated to return to the USA for filming.

Echowarrior

Citizen
And they had to pay her more for her to finally get her shots.

Right now, I just suggest that everyone do what I do - separate the character from the actors who play them. There are plenty of actors who are delightful, wonderful people, and have played some of the most despicable villains. Meanwhile, there are characters who people absolutely adore, being played by absolute jerks. There are limits, of course - I don't think Ms. Wright's actions or behaviors are anywhere on the level of, say, a certain performer involved with the Distinguished Competition - but it's still something that I try to keep in mind.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
I'd be more inclined for outrage if the trailers were making it clear Letitia Wright was the star of the movie, but since they aren't and the trailers are showcasing all the other brilliant actors and actresses working on this film I'm going to go see the film for them, not her.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, if anything, these trailers are making it look more like Angela Bassett is the main star of this movie.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am admittedly more drawn to this film by Angela Bassett's few lines in the trailers (among some other things like the fascinating spotlight given to another ancient culture) than actual Black Panthering.

It would be pretty neat for there to turn out to be multiple Black PantherS, with Shuri taking the proof-of-concept lead before going back to being the person-in-the-chair for say, Okoye and Nakia and M'Baku and Ramonda.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I am admittedly more drawn to this film by Angela Bassett's few lines in the trailers (among some other things like the fascinating spotlight given to another ancient culture) than actual Black Panthering.

It would be pretty neat for there to turn out to be multiple Black PantherS, with Shuri taking the proof-of-concept lead before going back to being the person-in-the-chair for say, Okoye and Nakia and M'Baku and Ramonda.
And then every Wakandan gets a Black Panther suit, "Everybody gets a car!" style.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
A new thought crossed my mind, and I say this without having seen any spoilers that could potentially debunk it.

What if T'Challa being dead in this movie is actually a sign of the movie taking place before the Blip brought back him and everyone else snapped away by Thanos?

We did hear about an underwater earthquake in that movie that is believed to be foreshadowing Namor. Well, what if this movie is set during Endgame, after that scene, but before the time heist's conclusion?

That would allow them to make this be a movie without T'Challa, and then leave things open to possibly recast him later in the future of the MCU, after such amount of time has passed in the real world that recasting Boseman would no longer feel insensitive.

Sure, Endgame showing Shuri among those snapped away would be an issue, but that could easily be retconned away.

Top Bottom