Black Adam Coming to theaters October 2022!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Looks neat, and I like the cast and characters. I will definitely have to watch this when it gets to streaming at least.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Aaaah. That's why Marvel has Adam Warlock appearing in Guardians.

It's the war of the Adams. Black Adam vs Adam Warlock!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Something someone else noticed online but a kid in the trailer has a shirt like Silver Age Starboy of the Legion of Super-Heroes. Perhaps other Legionnaires will pop up... in the future, haha

IMG_20220611_011753.jpg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Spin Masters actually has a modest little product line for this movie! About on par with The Batman, it's still a better showing than most of Hasbro's recent MCU stuff or how they've been handling Star Wars the last few years.
The central focus is a 4" line akin to what they've been doing for the last few years. Confirmed are Cyclone, Atom Smasher, Hawk-man, Dr. Fate and Black Adam. Also on offer is the Hawk Cruiser which comes with both Hawkman and Black Adam. Amazon also has an exclusive pack which features the entire wave of figures plus a throne for Black Adam (at the expense of the accessories they would have come with individually, it seems).
12" iterations of BA, Atom Smasher, Dr Fate and Hawkman are being offered as well.
Black Adam has a 12" "Power Punch" feature figure on tap.

If they continue following the pattern of The Batman, other retailer exclusive bundles are likely on tap, unlikely to offer much changes from the usual retail release.

These are due on shelf by the end of the month, just in time for the movie's release.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Seeing it in an hour.

Too many headlines in Facebook spoiling some stuff about it, urgh

Edit - it was awesome! I went in semi blind, as I didn't watch the trailer. Heck, I only knew two of the JSA who were suppose to appear.

(In fact, if I didn't see the posters out front, I couldn't have answered the trivia question they had before the screening. It was 'what was the super team' so I knew it was JSA but they asked secondary questions like what it stood for and who were the members shown in the movie. Thank goodness I checked the standees and posters outside. Also, I thought I might be penalized for saying Justice Society of America, when they just said Justice Society in the movie. Anyway, I won a shirt, cap and power bank).

IMG_20221018_231555.jpg

Anyhow, yeeeeah Dwayne still had a nice-guy twang to his voice and the whole deal of the Justice Society being there was odd (ala, if you're so well prepared, where were you during the Justice League movie type thing. Also politically) but you kinda forget it later.

Dynamic action pieces, Adam being veeeeery outworldly, the powers on display were well done, especially the wind, some humor (hints of Peter Parkerness actually).

Main thing is this totally could have been a Justice Society vehicle. Like, dang.

Oh, confirmed that the mid credit scene was ruined for me by huge headlines in Facebook, blarg.

Hmm, my best DC movie pick is still Shazam for the humor but Black Adam is probably my second best now.

My top 3 movies of 2022 still Maverick but Black Adam is now in it too. Wondering if I'll drop Strange 2 or Bullet Train.

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
Yet another movie to watch on DVD in 2023. It's a good thing I'm holding off on all the Marvel movies. I want to watch the entire MCU as a group.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Got this on digital.
Cheets was right, there's really no plot to spoil. It's basically a 2 hour fight scene with very little tying it all together. It's not bad for what it is, but it hardly advances the narrative or universe.
It's okay. Nothing too spectacular, nothing really that disappointing. It sure is something, but that's about it.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I mean, it was FINE…but it was just that. It wasn’t a mess of a film like the Sony live action films have been. It’s clearly cut from the same cloth as the post-Justice League DCEU films (ie, more blatantly trying to “Marvel up” their films). The writing really isn’t up to to handling the volume of characters the way The Suicide Squad was able to, so the JSA stuff falls a touch flat, despite the efforts from the actors.
Dwayne Johnson is playing “intense Dwayne”, but trying to balance his arc while accommodating the JSA seemed beyond the ability of the filmmakers. He’s basically playing “anti-hero Superman” and the entire film is built around that premise more than anything else. It delivers on that…but I’m at a loss to say if it delivers much more.

It’s a completely average, enjoyable, superhero film. The issue is that between DC’s own Suicide Squad, The Batman and Shazam, much less the average MCU output (the shows have been solid, the Phase 4 films have, in general, been on the weaker side), have elevated that standard enough to just leave the film being…just fine.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
It didn't suck, which puts it ahead of the curve as far as DC goes. The fact that it's thin on plot works in its favor in my opinion. It doesn't waste too much time, it gets fairly quickly to Dwayne popping mercs like grapes.

Axaday

Citizen
the whole deal of the Justice Society being there was odd (ala, if you're so well prepared, where were you during the Justice League movie type thing.

Right. There is the normal MCU solo film thing where the threat is big enough that Iron Man or Vision really should've shown up. But this is a whole other level. The world's greatest detective tracked down all the superheroes he could discover to form a team to deal with a world-ending threat and someone he didn't detect Dr Fate and Hawkman? They don't seem to be keeping a low profile.

And alternately...Waller shouldn't need to call in a favor to get Superman interested in this. What was he busy doing while a Superman clone was wreaking havoc in Kandaq?

=-=-=-=

I felt like this movie was garbage. I watched half of it Wednesday night and could've stayed up to finish it, but didn't feel like it. So I finished it last night. And I think breaking the movie in half was really instructive. When they captured Adam and put him in the black site, what we had was a movie that was really on the short side and not quite satisfying, but it felt whole. I would have been ripe for a sequel, because it felt like Adam needed some kind of redemption. I like my villains to be understandable, but he was portrayed just a little to affectionately to be left as a captured villain.

But the continuation of the movie undid things that were right and did things that were wrong. They went there and captured him because his behavior (not his goals) was terribly villainous and you can't have someone with that kind of power killing whoever he wants or needs to. They were right. That was a complete story. Dr Fate calls him back because he's the only one who can stop the world-ending threat, but the after credits scene reminds us that he is not. Bring Superman and/or Wonder Woman in. Don't free the murderous rampager that you were lucky to capture. He comes back and tears the demon in half, which is what Superman would have done because this is a demon whose due process will have to come from God, not the courts. And then the movie (in the form of the lady) tells us that Adam is good because he could do what the JSA could not and Hawkman agrees. The actual moral at the end of the story is that sometimes you need a murderer on your side, which is totally off message. The kind of murdering that Black Adam does (and we see no sign that he has really changed?) is not what you need on your side. You need Superman who reluctantly kills the baddest bad guys when it is absolutely necessary, but would never wantonly kill someone for not telling him where the bad guy is. I have no respect for Hawkman in his first movie outing and the 20-somethings were just boring. Dr Fate was interesting to see, but his powers were difficult to parse and his future visions are apparently wishy-washy and he's the guy that decided to free another monster to deal with the monster instead of calling Superman and it would seem he is able to contact anyone anywhere, so it isn't as if Adam was just handy. And it doesn't appear to me that he needed to sacrifice himself. If he was going to bring Adam in, it didn't take Adam long to get there and I think they had a few minutes to spare before the world was going to get ended.

Top Bottom