Being unfairly evicted

Shadewing

Citizen
Our landlord is trying to evict us, without going to court and only giving us 3 days to get out; both against GA law when it comes to our rights at tenants. We're gonna try and fight this, but if anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated even if it's just spreading this around.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
Do you have a lease? Is your rent paid up? How long have you lived there?

Dake's link looks useful, even if it's primarily intended to drive you to hire one of their lawyers.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
This probably won't be very helpful BUT: tenants rights and the associated housing laws are different state to state and sometimes even city to city. Look up if there's a tenants rights advocate for your area and see if they can point you towards useful resources, like housing lawyers and which forms to fill out to register this event against your landlord with the city and police.

Dake

Citizen
Respectfully, but what steps have you taken beyond the Gofundme? Are you actually $6k behind on rent? Have you attempted to contact any professionals that could help you? As you say, you should have the law on your side, and if any of the reasons mentioned in your Gofundme are why you're being evicted you may have a Civil Rights case as well.

Shadewing

Citizen
No, were up to date on rent. They come up with things saying that we need to clean and reduce the clutter, we do and they tell us its not good enough. That we needed to get rid of 'everything but the bare essentuals' and things like that. They never bring up anything about us, but they are always moving the goal posts. The $6000 is an estimate to be able to find a place to stay in the mean time (nothing around us is very cheap, and often needs at least double, if not triple in a few cases, the rent price to get in), possibly a hotel to stay in till we find a place, to be able to store stuff, afford moving; and possibly afford legal fees. I'm not sure if we can actually prove discrimination (but the way they've been treating us lately is very sus), but this IS against Ga Renter law at the very least. But they are known to call the cops, who they are very friendly with, to forcibly evict tenants so we want to be able to have something or somewhere to go while we deal with this.

Kaon

I guess moving in with parents for the time being isn't an option while you try to get things together?

Dake

Citizen
I am genuinely sorry to hear that.

The landlord's serial harassment, threats and illegal practices are all the more reason to consider getting the police involved now, and reaching out to some of those organizations.

Shadewing

Citizen
Update: at a cheap motel for the next two nights at least.

Two potential options, but both need time and planning. Either find a place in Douglasville here in GA as I can pretty easily get an old job back. Or my roommate's friend has offered to share an apartment with us but we'd need to get to Memphis TN or Olive Branch Mississippi.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Oof. I'm so sorry. The guaranteed job in the same area where you can continue to fight if needed seems like the better option for the short term, at least. Otherwise, see if there's any decent jobs/housing in the other states online?

Shadewing

Citizen
Been awhile, posting an update: We're both currently living outta hotel, about all we can find and afford atm. Still too far to get to the job I mentioned. Roomie went to ER last night as he's been sick regularly since this BS started; and might have something wrong with his pancreas. They don't want to call it pancreatitis yet, but have referred him to a gastroenterologist. So that means we now got one hospital bill to pay and maybe another in the future.

Link to our GoFundMe: https://gofund.me/87477d10

Top Bottom