Bayverse Appreciation Thread

MadameVixen

Cat outta Hell
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Let us discuss the 5 live action movies. The toys and everything about them. Positives and negatives.
Personally I love how much of a cultural impact the first film trilogy had. 20210802_213301.jpg20210824_222911.jpg20210830_154247.jpg20210901_005934.jpg20210824_223145.jpg20210802_212745.jpg20210831_214702.jpg20210828_233331.jpg20210824_224203.jpg20210828_225037.jpg

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
9iy0iwE.jpg

Love the designs and the toys! The movies themselves I enjoyed at the time since I was more into dumb action flicks back then; haven't felt the need to rewatch any of them. I picked up some of the games this year: I quite liked DotM (no surprise given it was made by the WfC/FoC team), while RotF was kinda disappointing after others kept hyping it up.

The toy-only characters are pretty amazing, yeah?
gPEqlZw.jpg

Notomus

Unofficial Pope of Devconism
Citizen
9iy0iwE.jpg

Love the designs and the toys! The movies themselves I enjoyed at the time since I was more into dumb action flicks back then; haven't felt the need to rewatch any of them. I picked up some of the games this year: I quite liked DotM (no surprise given it was made by the WfC/FoC team), while RotF was kinda disappointing after others kept hyping it up.

The toy-only characters are pretty amazing, yeah?
gPEqlZw.jpg
Love me some toy only! I really hope we see some of these guys in Studio Series.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nothing will ever top the leadup to the 07 movie, and the relief when the movie finally landed and was actually kinda good.

I saw it on preview night. After so many long months of the worst doomposting this fandom has ever seen, once I was in the theater none of it mattered. The doomposters were wrong.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
As much as I malign those films, it is a bummer that we never got to see the resolution for the Unicron story. I would have been interested in seeing what weird take on that they would have had.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I resent the Bumblebee movie and it's G1y Prime so much. Cool for those who waited that long to finally see him like that. But it came at a moment when Generations went full mini-Masterpiece and the new kid line turned out to be Cyberverse. You better like that truck because there is no escape now.

Notomus

Citizen
I resent the Bumblebee movie and it's G1y Prime so much. Cool for those who waited that long to finally see him like that. But it came at a moment when Generations went full mini-Masterpiece and the new kid line turned out to be Cyberverse. You better like that truck because there is no escape now.
as long as they actually harken back and make fully faithful versions of other interpretations of Optimus I'll be fine.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
To be fair, I HAVE seen about as much praise for the better character dynamics in Bumblebee. Although it's not brought up a LOT, it seems to be one of those things that doesn't get brought up if it's working properly (like your blood pressure, or your car engine) but will get talked about when it isn't.

But of course there are circles where it's the designs that did all the heavy lifting. As soon as I see someone go "yeah just watch the first five minutes, on Cybertron. That's the whole movie for me", I know that that's the whole conversation for me because I'm not going to bother with any more.

I mean, I've seen people say they got "chills" from the moment in Kingdom when Prime brings out the Matrix and it shines a beam into the sky, and then toward where the Allspark is. It's just another macguffin moment in the least terrible of the trilogy, but they got "chills" because it was THEIR macguffin and whipping it out to make it shine a beam, just that very action, has been codified into their brain as all it takes for something to be good. Never mind that it was literally a sentient flashlight, or that it was a plot device existing solely to point to another plot device, or that Optimus' entire character here was to be the plot device carrier. None of that's needed.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
As soon as I see someone go "yeah just watch the first five minutes, on Cybertron. That's the whole movie for me", I know that that's the whole conversation for me because I'm not going to bother with any more.
Heh, I'm like that with TLK. The first few minutes with King Arthur, Merlin, and the Guardian Knights/Dragonstorm are the best parts of that movie for me. As soon as it cuts to the present, the rest of the movie is one long agonizing mess, made only slightly more bearable whenever Cogman is onscreen. 🥴

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sure, but that's because the rest of the movie is a noisy mess, not because "Geewun triumphs over Bay".

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
TLK still feels like a movie that had a lot of interesting ideas, and was probably a good script, but then got killed in editorial decisions. I just wonder if it got killed in script edits, or if there might still be some unseen footage somewhere that fills in some of the gaps.

Whatever the case, the end result was very disappointing. It's the one TF movie I have yet to ever rewatch. This coming from someone who has watched Energon in its entirety at least three times.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
TLK comes across like they trimmed at least a few seconds off the start and end of every single scene in a desperate attempt to shave down the running time. I 100% believe the rumor that it was originally much longer.

If they released the longer cut I'd give it a watch to see if it flows better. It would be a tragic shame if they killed that movie in the editing room.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Don't forget, TLK was the movie that had that writer's room made up of like a dozen different people who came up with ideas for like 15 different movies, all of which was spearheaded by the guy who wrote Batman & Robin.

Notomus

Citizen
JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLT

If only mine would ship :l

Top Bottom