Allsparkle General Discussion

Guardian Prime

Veteran Allsparker
Citizen
$13 a box is a bit much for a blind pick. Celestia's the rare, so you'd be better off getting a full box set of 6 at the $75 if you want all the mane 6. The risk of that, though, is getting the rare and you're out one of the mane 6.

Too risky at that high price point.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The first image you pick to launch the new Holiday Thread has a big job.

No pressure.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So the kids and I have slowly been finishing up the TV series. We watched all of them on netflix and found the last season on Hulu. So we finally watched the last episode this week. We have been watching this series together for three years or so and its kind of bitter sweet that its over. I do like the character resolutions for them though, and the epilogue episode was great. Seeing grown up spike was cool, as was a fully grown Twighlight sparkle.

I have to admit though, my favorite part was when Pinkie got the chaos magic. I figured that she would be the only one to be able to use it.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Imagine what a leap of faith it was for whoever said "Nah, let's start over with a complete clean slate of characters" however far into preproduction that was.

I like what I see here but I'm glad it's not what we got. One of my favorite things is exploring unproduced alternate versions of things we've gotten, and this is a rare case where I feel like every change went in the right direction.

It's bizarre how good G5 is. It was designed by a committee but they managed to figure out what it needed to be.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
The models look nice, but yes, I'm very glad they decided to go all new with this one. I liked FiM and all, but after 9 seasons plus the spin-offs...it was time for something completely new.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Dewit.

I don't know if I can judge it fairly because it brought me a sliver of happiness on a very bad day, and for me it will always have that. But I did watch it again and it still seemed good.

Caldwin

Citizen
That seems to be the general consensus. People seem to enjoy it but feel like it had no right to be that good. It's been a while though. I feel like I should watch it again. Izzy is just too great.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean: netflix usually kills it when it comes to animation. Good quality, good writing, good voice work. I was expecting something more along the lines of the g4 movie: decent but rehashing what was already there. But they made a genuine and good effort, gave us something unique and original based on the property. If they handle the series as well as they made the movie: it has the potential to do what g4 did.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's just a movie, but in this case that's genuine praise.

The 1986 movie is part of an experimental wave of Hasbro movies, made when they really didn't know better. It at least has the dignity of not being the worst performer at the time.

G3 is a series of electronic babysitter tapes, from an era when everyone was pumping out garbage animated movie sequels for that purpose. It met all of its aspirations. The VAs seemed to have fun with it though, so there's that. And it also has a terrifying stage show (that probably looked fine from the back row, to be fair) that weirdly had the ambition to wrap up several ongoing character arcs I didn't know were actually ongoing.

The G4 movie is a movie that was released.

The G5 movie just feels like a normal animated movie.

Caldwin

Citizen
G1 felt like an extended episode. They didn't up the quality at all. I'd barely say they upped the stakes with the Smooze considering the Flutter Valley 5-parter had similarly high stakes. Which brings me to the fact that it was immediately followed up with a 5-parter that made the "extended episode" aspect less special.

G3 was a lot of fun until 3.5 and I will die on this hill.

G4 I actually enjoyed. It had a higher budget. I absolutely loved Tempest. It expanded the map past Equestria, introducing new areas and species that they continued to use for the rest of the series. I wouldn't want to trivialize it by saying it's just another movie.

G5 had to (and succeeded at) take on a huge undertaking. They had to introduce us to new characters, create a new world with a big back story... and they had to stand on their own separate from G4, the biggest phenomenon in MLP history. Sure they still gave G4 a mention. But at the end of it, it had to stand on its own merits...which I think it did.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Absolutely. They did an amazing job with this, and it actually makes me look forward to the new series.

Top Bottom