Adventures in troubleshooting, or why you try to keep old technology.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Alright, so: I lost my internet this morning. It wasn't the router, the modem or the service... it was my PC's wireless antenna... which my fuckwit ginger cat chewed through.

And of course, because I needed to fix something, I was immediately overwhelmed by everyone else needing technical help as well. So I sorted through everyone elses problems, and finally got to the point where I can solve MY problem.

Got no internet, can't order parts. I grab the junk antenna (which whiskey had managed to chew through FOUR loops of the ******* wire.) and head off to the local parts store. And because my bad day doesn't get better: they do not have anything like that in stock. Now; this store is the ABSOLUTE best for spare parts in my region. Hands down. If they aren't carrying it, none of the other tech stores (like best buy or CCE.) will have JUST the antenna. I'd have to buy an entire new wireless card.

So I'm driving home, defeated. I'll need to steal the antenna off my fathers computer (cause he's the only other one in the family who uses a desktop wirelessly.) and order parts offline...

Wait a sec. A few years ago, I bought a mid tier router before we switched to videotrons helix service. It was covered in wireless antennas. Took me a while to find where I put it, cause I was damned certain I did not get rid of it, but find it I did. Three antennas, so I even got one spare, and now my desktop has rabbit ears.

So yeah, keep some of your old tech, never know what comes in handy. I went from a multiday day, probably expensive repair, to absolutely free and instant.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
I'm waay ahead of you.

One of these days I'll find another use even for this!

TrQoF2I.jpeg

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
New wireless cards are pretty cheap and easy to install. Assuming they work and don't end up getting too much interference from the video card... *side-eyes the computer I'm currently using*

Top Bottom