Ads

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I don't mind ads. It helps the site so I don't even consider an ad block.

But...just putting it out there...kinda awkward when someone walks by me at work and I have a Victoria's Secret banner on my phone.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Weird. Do you have a screen shot of it? All the ads I ever see are stupid and look like this

dumbads.png

Caldwin

Citizen
Never when I'm trying to prove it. Now I'm just getting jewelry stores and Asian Soul Mates. If I see it again, I'll be sure to take a screen shot.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
Just got these on mobile. First time I've seen the "husbend" one, but the sports photos have been showing up for a couple of days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-215922.png
    Screenshot_20211031-215922.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20211031-215930.png
    Screenshot_20211031-215930.png
    286 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20211031-215954.png
    Screenshot_20211031-215954.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 76

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, I'm not getting Victoria's Secret ads anymore. So, problem solved. *pout*

*looks at CPF's post*

So, I'm all to familiar with the scenario were you have an issue right up until you try to prove it to the one who can fix it. This is the first time I had an issue right up until I try to prove it to the one who can fix it... but then someone with an even worse case comes by and proves it for me.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I’m on a tablet at work (hospital) on a public network…and it’s pretty..yeah.

Attachments

• 750D346C-D7E3-4222-8AE7-CE6EE10E465E.png
    750D346C-D7E3-4222-8AE7-CE6EE10E465E.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 78

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm trying to address this but you have to keep in mind the Google algorithm serves ads based on what it thinks is your interests based on your cookies, things you've searched for or sites you've visited that are independent of this site. We don't really get a say in what ads people see. You can test this by going into Incognito mode and visiting the site and see how different they are.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do about specific ad groups but it hasn't had much impact overall it seems.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was able to find and block that specific ad as well as report it to Google for violations of their ToS

Caldwin

Citizen
Finally happened again...at work...with a co-worker right over my shoulder.

I wonder if someone on the network at work is looking for this stuff. If we're on the same network, can their searches affect my algorithm? Cause I haven't looked up crotchless panties in like...years!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I wonder if someone on the network at work is looking for this stuff. If we're on the same network, can their searches affect my algorithm? Cause I haven't looked up crotchless panties in like...years!
giphy.gif

In all seriousness, I think that might well be the issue. On my home network, across multiple devices both in normal and private/incognito modes, I get the same general range of ads (Squarespace, Etsy, Ebay, retailers, etc). The only time I've come across questionable ads was when I was at work, using the public network.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Finally happened again...at work...with a co-worker right over my shoulder.

I suspect that might be the case. That said, it's an underwear store so I don't know what to think about it.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I found a couple different ones. I couldn't find the specific ones you listed but I'll keep looking

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I just got the Victoria’s Secret one at home on my phone.
Also been getting ads for shirts with “Let’s Go Brandon” and looking up what that’s about a week ago that’s really irking me a bit.2D5EAE98-9905-45AC-8411-8FA25B5D55CE.png

Caldwin

Citizen
8BAB741B-3BCB-44B9-8859-FBE2D9FD3861.png

I will say, if I were getting these at home instead of work, I wouldn't mind so much. It's almost like karma is telling me I shouldn't be on my phone at work.

Top Bottom