Activision-Blizzard Thread: Just announced the Layoffs of 1900 jobs.

Ironbite4

Citizen
I need to start drinking. Hard.

Don't think of this as an automatic win for Blizzard. They're still in a lot of trouble.

Ironbite-just that two of the three lawsuits they're facing are hugging each other up.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Even if it were a win for Blizzard, the damage has already been done. Lord knows the company's not getting a red cent from me ever again, and I doubt I'm unique in that regard.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Sadly, people who actually care about any of that stuff are a lot rarer than you think. Companies like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Konami wouldn't still be the biggest and most successful ones in the industry if the vast, vast majority of gamers weren't utter sheep who will shell out for a turd in a plastic box year in and year out, and that's not even getting into what the company gets up to behind the scenes. EA was voted the "worst company in America" for two years in a row and it hasn't hurt them one bit.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
And WoW promptly "hotfixed" the anniversary boss to give out 100% drop rates on the good goods, meaning this doesn't really do anything to impact the bottom line.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Also, the email that Fran Townsend allegedly sent that kicked this whole thing off? The one that even Kotick decried as "tone-deaf"? Turns out he was the one who actually wrote it, and sent it from her address.

She'd only been working there for a few months at the time. At this point I'm willing to bet Kotick hired her specifically to be a scapegoat. I wonder what he offered her—or, more likely, threatened her with—to get her to go along with it.

Ironbite4

Citizen
Oh boy. Activision-Blizzard had a massive walkout over some layoffs in the QA department at Raven Software over CoD's latest infestation(tells you how bad that game's gonna be), and then the employees decided to get together in some form of business union. Activision-Blizzard has responded.

Ironbite-they be scared.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Good God, Microsoft is just determined to rescue every terrible game company from the consequences of their own actions, aren't they. It was one thing when it was just serially-incompetent Bethesda, but... no, Activision does not deserve to go on existing. And we don't deserve to go on coexisting with it on this planet.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
LIST: Here’s every Activision Blizzard IP Xbox now owns, including Crash Bandicoot and Guitar Hero

The list of IPs that could potentially be owned by Xbox following Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard includes:

Blur
Caesar
Call of Duty
Candy Crush
Crash Bandicoot
Diablo
DJ Hero
Empire Earth
Gabriel Knight
Geometry Wars
Guitar Hero
Gun
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm
Hexen
Interstate ’76
King’s Quest
Laura Bow Mysteries
The Lost Vikings
Overwatch
Phantasmagoria
Pitfall
Police Quest
Prototype
Quest for Glory
Singularity
Skylanders
Solider of Fortune
Space Quest
Spyro the Dragon
StarCraft
Tenchu (legacy games)
TimeShift
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
True Crime
World of Warcraft
Zork

spikeriley

Citizen
I can accept this as long as Microsoft cleans house and fires all employees who were involved in the sexual misconduct (which sadly, I know won't happen considering the state of the video game industry and how they protect their own when such accusations fly).

However, this makes me want to see Banjo, Crash, and Spyro meet in a crossover game.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Honestly their willingness to bail out a company that's been involved with such terrible shit just makes me want to know how much dirty laundry of their own Microsoft has, and how long we'll have to wait until it's all made public. If someone has, perhaps, been on the fence about leaking the company's deep dark secrets, now would be an excellent time to do it.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
I'd wait for some actual allegations before I suspect Microsoft of being guilty by mere association. Until then, I think this is just a case of Activision's plummeting value making the acquisition affordable by Microsoft's standards.

Last edited:

Top Bottom