A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
JmzSk33.png

My comment for today, 3 September 2021: I hope Mara Jade joins Disney canon in due time as Mitth'raw'nuruodo has.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The best part is there's no unnecessarily elaborate explanation for why Fordo is so awesome. He has no extra backstory whatsoever. It's just his training.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
There was some really good stuff in the EU, but yeah, a lot of it was awful too. I haven't been crazy for a lot of how Disney has handled Star Wars, but I don't fault them for deciding to wipe the slate clean.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I've read the Legacy of the Force over the summer.

I don't think I hate the Sequels anymore....
Legacy of the Force is still better than the New Jedi Order and Fate of the Jedi novels to me. Heck quite a bit can be compared to the sequels in areas. Rey and Jaina, Ben/Kylo and Jacen/Caedus. In ways the Sequel Trilogy was a merging of the Legacy of the Force series with a dash of Dark Empire.

And I still prefer Traviss' version of the Mandalorian culture over what we got in the Clone Wars. But I'll always have a soft spot for Jaina and Jacen. Much of the initial Legends books I read had a focus on them in some way. I'm sad I'll never probably get a animation or live action version of Tenel Ka or Lowbacca. Though to be fair making Chewies Nephew a Jedi was a tad far fetched.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My favorite Star Wars comic I've ever read is the Attack of the Clones adaptation. It's based on an earlier cut that had a lot of the deleted scenes (not all, unfortunately) still in it, and they really do help. Yes it's a longer and slower version of an already long and slow story, but it's the intended story and it flows better.

I'd like to see more of that. A comic adaptation of all six films that incorporates every scrap of plot known to have existed. Because as much as I'd love to see that done with the actual films, some scenes were never completed, other scenes were never shot, and other scenes had their footage degrade into uselessness over time. But that's not an obstacle for a comic. It can just do those scenes anyway. It can just do them.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
I've been mostly enjoying the EU. Disappointing entries usually were either harmless and forgettable, so bad they were fun, or ended up leading into something much better. Like, The Courtship of Princess Leia is horrendous, especially as a follow-up to the X Wing novels featuring Warlord Zsinj, but it serves as a backstory of sorts to Tenel Ka, who ended up being my favorite of the Young Jedi Knights.

LotF is just dire, though.

Been reading the Jedi Prince books, which are at least just silly-stupid. Like claiming Darth Vader's right hand glove is indestructible. Y'know, this one:
pvlF4va.gif
I think this is also the novel series that gives us Leia shooting eye-lasers at her groom during a wedding. Can't wait to get to that part.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Ah the earliest of the 90’s kid novels. The Glove of Darth Vader, Lost City of the Jedi, Zorba the Hutt’s Revenge, Mission to Mount Yoda, Queen of the Empire, and Prophets of the Dark Side. They were fun for what they were back then. They do not mesh at all well with any of the other post RotJ Legends books. But they had some good illustrations for the time.

I mean these were books they just let the writers create some fun stories with without the limits of what would come later as the story group tried to tie everything together.

And as far as Courtship of Princesses Leia, that came some time before they even got to Warlord Zinj in the X-Wing books, so if anything Stackpole had a good follow through with the Wraith Squadron books on what Dave Wolverton set up.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
I am impressed that the stories of Xanatos and Ferus Olin lasted across Jedi Apprentice in 2001 (set before TPM) to Rebel Force (set after ANH) in 2010.
I've read the Legacy of the Force over the summer.

I don't think I hate the Sequels anymore....
Legacy of the Force is still better than the New Jedi Order and Fate of the Jedi novels to me. Heck quite a bit can be compared to the sequels in areas. Rey and Jaina, Ben/Kylo and Jacen/Caedus. In ways the Sequel Trilogy was a merging of the Legacy of the Force series with a dash of Dark Empire.

And I still prefer Traviss' version of the Mandalorian culture over what we got in the Clone Wars. But I'll always have a soft spot for Jaina and Jacen. Much of the initial Legends books I read had a focus on them in some way. I'm sad I'll never probably get a animation or live action version of Tenel Ka or Lowbacca. Though to be fair making Chewies Nephew a Jedi was a tad far fetched.
I also remember reading Jacen and Jaina's adventures in Young Jedi Knights from my local library after the prequel trilogy and before the sequel trilogy. I never got into The New Jedi Order to Fate of the Jedi.
There was some really good stuff in the EU, but yeah, a lot of it was awful too. I haven't been crazy for a lot of how Disney has handled Star Wars, but I don't fault them for deciding to wipe the slate clean.
I do wonder what Disney plans for eventually redoing the Knights of the Old Republic as a full media project given that "The High Republic" actually tries to have technological progression leading into the film era.

I love me some Hammerhead class cruisers!
Ah the earliest of the 90’s kid novels. The Glove of Darth Vader, Lost City of the Jedi, Zorba the Hutt’s Revenge, Mission to Mount Yoda, Queen of the Empire, and Prophets of the Dark Side. They were fun for what they were back then. They do not mesh at all well with any of the other post RotJ Legends books. But they had some good illustrations for the time.

I mean these were books they just let the writers create some fun stories with without the limits of what would come later as the story group tried to tie everything together.

And as far as Courtship of Princesses Leia, that came some time before they even got to Warlord Zinj in the X-Wing books, so if anything Stackpole had a good follow through with the Wraith Squadron books on what Dave Wolverton set up.
My current Twitter display name pays homage to X-Wing: Mercy Kill. I was sad to discover that Aaron Allston died not long after coming back to the series to write that one.
Read The Crystal Star. You'll realize the sequels could have been so much worse.
It is unfortunate that Resistance pilots merely fly slight updates to the X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, and B-Wing. (I don't care about the MG-100 StarFortress 17. I don't.) Even adapting the E-Wing to the big screen would have satisfied me more.

The sequel trilogy deserved something as different as the ARC-170 and V-Wing of RotS. The fact that the Battle of Exegol cheated us not out of not only the Eclipse class but also any long beauty shots of ships rubs salt in the wound.

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
finally watched the mandalorian a couple weeks ago. it was very good. even though i knew who showed up at the end of season 2, and had seen numerous videos of it, the second that green lightsaber ignited my entire body turned into a giant goosebump!

And as far as Courtship of Princesses Leia,

i tried reading that when it came out. but i didnt like how they made han kidnap leia so she woudnt get married. i just didnt feel that was a thing he would do

Top Bottom