A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

Cybersnark

Citizen
Also, despite everything that's been written about him, we don't actually know much about what makes him tick.

Traditionally, he's the Star Wars equivalent of Judge Dredd; he just does badass things and we-the-audience never see inside his head. We (now) know he has a personal hatred of Jedi, but Jedi are basically extinct by the time of the OT, so what else motivates him? His skills mean that he only has to bother with high-value bounties, but what does he spend the money on?

Is he actually rich? Is he sending funds somewhere to support a secret family? Does he just channel all of his money into new gear and upkeep (as the 90s-era EU suggested)? If so, why? He seems to be completely amoral (Lawful Neutral), but what does he actually think of the Empire?

The thought of Fett actually taking over part of the underworld is somehow completely out of left field, and there's no telling where they're going with this.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He stands up to Vader over money. You don't see a lot of people stand up to Vader, and especially not over something so trivial. On top of this when he does so, Vader doesn't threaten or dismiss him, he assures him.

Here's the thing about that. Vader doesn't owe him anything. Boba Fett wanting Han alive so he can get paid by Jabba as well is none of the Empire's business. As far as they're concerned, their business is done when they have Han in their custody and Fett is paid for his efforts. Vader could tell him to buzz off. But he chooses not to. He doesn't need to compensate Fett if Han dies, nor does Fett specifically demand it, but Vader is willing to do that.

Again, I think Vader just kinda likes having Fett around at that point in the movie. After an excruciating time chasing the Falcon with no success, he hires Fett and the guy immediately gets the job done with no setbacks and no excuses. It's refreshing.

Cradok

Citizen
There was quite a bit written about Fett and from his perspective , but that was all before AotC, let alone before Disney, so a lot of it was deliberately vague, and none of it really matters anymore. He was mostly written as you might expect, though; cold, calculating, professional, very good at what he does. He didn't really need money for a lot of the time, just what he spent on gear - he spent a lot on Mandalorian armour, he liked to have several sets for backup - and later what he needed for ongoing medical costs following his time being digested.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
As part of Walmart’s “Deals for Days”, today they had in store displays of $5 Galaxy of Adventures figures. A majority was obviously the same couple waves that bogged retail for months last year. But a small percentage (at least at my store) WAS the rare white box figures, including good number of “last wave“ figures Ashoka, her Clone Trooper, and Darth Maul. Didn’t see any of the Sith Jet Trooper or Yoda, but I DID snag Luke Skywalker, Ashoka, Boba Fett, and a white box Darth Vader. I skipped the lone Darth Maul and the Clone Troopers.

So, might be worth checking out if your local store hasn’t been cleaned out yet (seems the Marvel selection was largely cleaned by the time I got there, just a couple of Atmospheric Iron Mans left. The Marvel figures are overstock from the Avengers video game line that was out a year and a half or so ago).

Cybersnark

Citizen
Note that Patty Jenkins is booked all next year for at least two different movies, including another Wonder Woman sequel to round out her trilogy. She's clearly not hurting for work.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Sounds like they're systematically dismantling all of Kennedy's plans.

Rumors are also saying KK's contract has been renewed, thou nothing soild has come out from Disney last I checked, so I guess that says there isn't a lot of faith in Kennedy otherwise they would likely publically say so because its a vote of confidence in her! Personally, I think KK should leave Lucasfilm and hand control over to someone else, in her time as leader, there been five films with less and less returns, and far more directors than movies, thou I believe the media are using the excuse of "Creative differences" when the main problem seems to be Kennedy herself, the only trouble free shoot from what I gather was Last Jedi but that was a really poor story and divided the fan base and she did nothing to deal with the social media backlash as Rian Johnson went out of his way to attack fans, if the rumours of her contract renewal are true, I doult Disney will see much in the way of profit from any films, if they ever get off the ground!

Ironbite4

Citizen
The Force Awakens: $2.9 billion
Rogue One: $1.056 Billion
The Last Jedi: $1.3 billion
Solo: $393.2 million
Rise of Skywalker: $1.08 billion

Cost of Disney Buying Lucasfilms: $4.05 billion.
Total Box Office of Kennedy's Tenure so far: $6.729 billion
Profit: $2.679 billion

Yeah while you're technically right about the less and less returns, they made back the buy out and then some. And that, not some people whining on social media, is all the Disney bean counters care about at the end of the day.

Ironbite-sad ain't it?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The Force Awakens: $2.9 billion
Rogue One: $1.056 Billion
The Last Jedi: $1.3 billion
Solo: $393.2 million
Rise of Skywalker: $1.08 billion

Cost of Disney Buying Lucasfilms: $4.05 billion.
Total Box Office of Kennedy's Tenure so far: $6.729 billion
Profit: $2.679 billion

Yeah while you're technically right about the less and less returns, they made back the buy out and then some. And that, not some people whining on social media, is all the Disney bean counters care about at the end of the day.

Ironbite-sad ain't it?

Don't forget a lot the money they made from the films, is used to pay off production costs of the films, including the Stars and whatever backend deals they got, so its not as much as you think, plus there is the cinema chains getting their share of the money, so, they haven't made that much and its likely the bulk of the money is meant to be coming in from mech sales but they collapsed after TLJ and it took the mano to help boost them back, also, marketing have pretty much abandoned the sequel trilogy as they know it doesn't sell and they are selling classic stuff, I have no doults by now they paid off the investment but many people are still likely asking "Was it worth the cost?" same can be said about the Fox buy out, was that worth the cost?

Marvel & Pixar have proven their worth, thou both of those brands seem to be entering a period of decline with nothing that really says "WOW" the three resent Marvel movies, none of them have actually broken even YET and the "Disney plus day" didn't exactly wow investors as the stock dropped and not really recovered, Star Wars to them, I think is what many are kind of looking at now, but with nothing but bad news with delays, its also aided the drop off of the stock, so, its kind of "What is the future of Star Wars as a brand?" So far, I say pretty dark with only a few bright spots, of course, Lucasfilm is also meant to be a production company, yet in the years since Disney bought it, there been only five movies, five animated shows, one live action show, two live action shows in the works, everything is based on Star Wars, yet nothing else, aside from Indi 5, thou they are trying I believe to get other projects off the ground, I don't think they are going to well because of poor leadership at Lucasfilm in general. If I was a investor, I would pretty much be questioning what the hell going on with Lucasfilm in general, right now and do the people in charge of Disney, actually have a handle on the company?

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I think your forgetting the Willow show in the works. But your acting like all this glut of content we've gotten isn't enough? 9 years and you want more than what's been put out? Not to mention the first few years had to be the initial brainstorming for the future of the brand. I'm sure 5 movies, 7 animated projects, one show and many more coming is pretty damn impressive considering they don't have as big a map of possible stories as they inherited with Marvel. Let alone handling the publishing imprints in Comics, Books, and other media. They can still borrow from the Legends cannon if they want too as they've demonstrated.

And the Fox buyout? It was worth the cost just to get a rival company off their backs and consolidate some of their major properties back into their respective folds. Not to mention gaining others that could potentially see more come in.

I don't pretend to know everything. All I know is for the most part I'm glad we've gotten the opportunity to tell new stories good or bad in more mediums than just print and a cartoon. If anythings really diminishing me as a fan it's the lack of positivity that is being shown with Star Wars from the fans. Heck it's not even contained to Star Wars. I'm sick and tired of coming into a thread about something I want to enjoy with others and all I see is moaning and whining about petty bs or snide remarks. When did it become wrong to like something just because we like it? Star Wars has never been fine art, yet the standards it's held to seem to have some people's noses so stuck up their bending into their backside. There is nothing wrong with criticizing things but it's about most of what I see anymore is blame gameing Disney, Lucasfilm, Kennedy or others for ruining their beloved childhoods.

I don't know where I'm really going with this any further without just getting frustrated even more. I'm just tired of trying to be happy when everyone just wants to whizz in my C3-PO's

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Man I feel the Hasbro Star Wars team really needs a check to their heads. The Rancor was already doing poor in the HasLab campaign as it was, but the stretch goals may have just torpedoed any chance it’s going to make much more than maybe hitting the first one or two.

So tier 1 is a Gamorrean Guard on an old school card.

Tier 2 is Bones skulls and various dungeon decorations.

but here’s where it gets stupid.
Tier 3 is Salacious Crumb….. I kind of get it but it’s not really a character people want interacting with the Rancor.

Tier 4 makes more sense but it’s a Jedi Luke… New tooling supposedly but damn Hasbro are you tone deaf.

If they wanted this to sell it should of done either Oola the dancer or the Rancor’s Keeper. Another Luke is just another Luke. It’ll happen again eventually with or without the Rancor.

So I really don’t see it succeeding excessively.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Here's the thing about that. Vader doesn't owe him anything. Boba Fett wanting Han alive so he can get paid by Jabba as well is none of the Empire's business. As far as they're concerned, their business is done when they have Han in their custody and Fett is paid for his efforts. Vader could tell him to buzz off. But he chooses not to. He doesn't need to compensate Fett if Han dies, nor does Fett specifically demand it, but Vader is willing to do that.

Again, I think Vader just kinda likes having Fett around at that point in the movie. After an excruciating time chasing the Falcon with no success, he hires Fett and the guy immediately gets the job done with no setbacks and no excuses. It's refreshing.

I like to think that Vader like hearing his voice.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Woof, I’m beginning to doubt the Rancor even funding now. They’ve actually lost progress since they announced all the tiers. They had made it a little over 5,000 before the announcement and now we are back down to 4,862. It’s still possible it could get a final push near the end but obviously a good amount of people were hoping for better with the stretch goals.

Top Bottom