A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
My main concern with Mangold's idea is that the early Republic would be "biblical." That implies it'll be about the Star Wars version of bronze age primitives, when it should actually be set during an age in which advanced technologies like lightsabers and hyperdrives already exist. Even if they do give us that, I fully expect we'll also get crap like this hideous monstrosity.

gRoDxaU.jpg
Ship designs like that would be GLORIOUS!

While not as negative as others…I’m not going to get too spun up until stuff is actually in production. They’ve announced half a dozen films that have pretty much faded into the ether.
About the only one I’m legit excited about and am confident WILL get made is Filoni’s Mandoverse film. Whether Kennedy likes it or not, Filoni and Favreau‘s little side project has become the face of the franchise, critically and commercially. I have zero doubt that the momentum is there for that project.

Cybersnark

Citizen
My main concern with Mangold's idea is that the early Republic would be "biblical." That implies it'll be about the Star Wars version of bronze age primitives, when it should actually be set during an age in which advanced technologies like lightsabers and hyperdrives already exist. Even if they do give us that, I fully expect we'll also get crap like this hideous monstrosity.

gRoDxaU.jpg
You mean that beautiful work of art.

Seriously, one of the best things about the old Tales of the Jedi comics was how they completely reinvented the visual style of Star Wars to make things look thousands of years old.

NqJj01U.jpg

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
You mean that beautiful work of art.

Seriously, one of the best things about the old Tales of the Jedi comics was how they completely reinvented the visual style of Star Wars to make things look thousands of years old.

NqJj01U.jpg
I ******* love that art. I had a magazine ad, or comic ad or something of that art that I cut out and hung on my wall as a kid.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Id like to see the Yuzzhan Vong introduced in the new series as the bad guy instead of whatever version of the Empire is still floating around.

Also, I like that group of sith image, kinda like the trailer for KOTR. Which is a scene I would LOVE to see played out in the movie as well. Shuttle crashes, 50 sith warriors come pouring out to fight the Jedi.

The more I think about it thought, as cool as it would be see characters like Kyp Durhan (I think I spelled it right) and some others from the EU, now I almost dont want them.

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Ashoka trailer looks…interesting. Hopefully could be a show more of the quality of Andor and Mando s1 and 2. I.e. good story, engaging.

The Filoni film sounds interesting too. Though it and Ashoka feeling like a setup for a loose reimagining of the og Thrawn trilogy has me a bit less hyped. But that’s more to do with Lucasfilm tossing the old EU aside, onky to keep pulling out scraps from it.

The Mangold dawn of the Jedi film is intriguing, though I’ll reserve any judgements until we here something substantial about it actually happening.

Honestly, the one thing that turns me off completely is the ‘return’ of Rey And Disney absolute commitment to the sequel trilogy. The story was a disconnected mess, they failed their new characters, crucified the ot characters and the films got progressively worse, to the point the kept having to try retroactively fixing them in the novolisations. Yet after all of that, they just couldn’t help themselves from getting to give their great Rey the victory of now not only being a Jedi Master, but succeeding in rebuilding a new Jedi Order. Luke under a bitter, lonely old hermit failure and Rey now gets to overshadow him completely.

I admit, I am being a bit overly hyperbolic, but I still thoroughly dislike everything the idea of this film represents. I have nothing against Daisy Ridley as an actress or a person. Her character however is a insufferable ‘chosen one’ who gets handed literally everything and fails at nothing.

Plus, you know, every Skywalker and Solo is dead in this universe.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Plus, you know, every Skywalker and Solo is dead in this universe.
"But we gave the Skywalker surname to Rey, so you have to like her! Right?"

Legacy may have had us tripping over descendants of the Skywalker-Solo lines, but at least they gave us a spectrum of takes on said legacy. Nat Skywalker wasn't very good at the Force(tm), so he changed his name and became a famous modder-of-tech. Cade Skywalker had phenomenal potential, but wanted nothing to do with the Galaxy's problems. Ania Solo, much like Han before her, didn't even know her name was important, while Princess Marasiah of the Fel Dynasty.... found herself in the same position as her great-great-grandmother, underestimated and somehow in charge of cleaning up the mess.

Last edited:

GodSentinelOmega

The Omega Knight Returns!
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Agreed. The old EU may not have always been good, ultimately presented a universe of optimism and adventure. Battles, failures, darkness, light etc. it was at least a positive continuation that showed the New Republic was good. Nkt always great, but not completely corrupt.

And yeah, the Skywalker/Solos kinda got everywhere, but they were always good to see.

Rey Palpatine has led this new Star Wars to ruin.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
Just me griping:

I'm rather annoyed at the Force FX Yoda lightsaber/ Grogu's almost-saber, using non-replaceable rechargeable batteries. Those don't last forever, often just a few years, and then the item just dies. I had bad results with a sonic screwdriver remote control I really liked due to that, plus phones, tablets, etc. I assume it was due to form factor or something but I'm not going for it, mostly just for that reason. There are times when AAA's are the superior technology...

Dake

Citizen
Just went to a screening of RotJ and it was fun to watch. Still didn't need the extended musical number in Jabba's palace, and still think the Yub-nub song was better at the end - but otherwise it was nice to see on the big screen again. I think I half expected there to be some other insertions but it does appear to just be the final, Special Edition version.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Happy May The 4th Be With You day!

anybody take advantage of some deals? I preordered 40th Vader, Mando w/ darksaber and jet pack and Darth Malgus. I’m hoping soon we get the republic trooper in the 6” reskin.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Got Malgus, the Wicket and Kneesa 2 pack, Ahsoka, and the Magnaguard. Overall Star Wars collecting is just meh to me outside of the few EU nods.

That said, Ir an through the new season of SW Visions. I feel bad that one of the two bigger studios I was hyped to see, Cartoon Saloon, felt like they had one of the weaker episodes. That said even the weak ones were pretty good. I really don't think there was a single episode of the 2nd wave that felt bad overall. But there really should be some planning done between Lucasfilm and the individual studios. 3 of them had pretty similar plots of a young girl finding the force. All of them came out different for sure, but again the shorts focused a lot on force users.

Which is why I will praise Aardman! The silly nitwits actually went and made a non force centered episode! And it was adorably hilarious as they ever are. Maybe a tad less, but it was definitely a version of SW seen through their unique style.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
To be fair, the first “season” had a LOT of episodes deal with falling to the dark side in regards to similar themes being used across episodes.

Even still, I think this batch was FAR stronger than the first season, when taken as a whole. The first season basically played as “Star Wars anime”, while here, each story had far stronger and distinct visual identity. As said above, even the weakest episodes still presented REALLY strong visual flair and really solid stories in their own right. Even the first season, with its disparate studios, had a certain “anime feel”. Here? We have Cartoon Saloon’s storybook look contrasting with Aardman’s claymation which is different from 88 Picture’s Bollywood inspired CGI.
“Aau’s Song” stuck out to me as one that messed with my brain trying to tie the visual elements to a single “look”. I could see elements of CGI, stop motion and even classic 2D painting. And Aardman gets MASSIVE kudos for bringing back Dennis Lawson for Wedge Antilles!

tec

Maystor missspelur
Citizen
You what I dont get about Star Wars...Tatooine you know the armpit of space that no one wants vist or come too...
EVERYBODY AND THERE BROTHER ALWAYS SEEMS TO GO THERE!
My god its got more space traffic then Corasant

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You what I dont get about Star Wars...Tatooine you know the armpit of space that no one wants vist or come too...
EVERYBODY AND THERE BROTHER ALWAYS SEEMS TO GO THERE!
My god its got more space traffic then Corasant

Spoilers from a sidequest in a now 20 year old Star Wars game:

It is heavily implied in a Kotor sidequest that Tatooine was the original home of proto-humans. The Rakata conquered them and glassed the planet, with the glass eventually breaking down into the sand that so famously covers it now. The Rakata took some of the survivors and genetically altered them into a more adaptable form (humans) that better served as a slave race all over the galaxy. The inhabitants that were left on the planet became the Sand People.

Maybe the human characters are just instinctually drawn back home?

Dake

Citizen
It's an old and at this point cliched critique. The simplest explanation is, it's that way because that's how it's written. If you really want to find a reason in-universe, any number are available. First and foremost, nine of the films tell the story of the Skywalkers, so it's not crazy to think Tatooine would stand out in these stories and their offshoots.

You could also make the argument that it's what people in-universe think of as "remote", but because that's what everyone thinks of, it's actually more well known. It's kind of like how so many Hollywood movies or shows that want to signal "small, mid-western city" seems to choose Cincinnati, Ohio. It's not that it isn't a smaller mid-western city, but it's more well known and visited than the average person realizes.

It could be because it's the most convenient of remote planets with decent infrastructure.

It could be the Force.

Top Bottom