31 Days of Halloween (2022)

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
QhOmv2q.gif

Blade trilogy

Wesley Snipes, techno music, blood and gore, varying amounts of cheese, Pearl, Del Toro, Ryan Reynolds, and at least one good laugh out of me from each installment! (though I don't think "ice skating uphill" is meant as such) The three films are so different from each other it's crazy. I mean they all had different directors, but still.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I enjoyed them.

Blade:
Cheesy action flick. It had that 90's trying too hard to be edgy charm to it. I had no idea who Kris Kristofferson was at the time. But him and Stephen Dorff really stole the show.

Blade II:
I like how it took a harder turn into horror. Predictable traitor was predictable. It might have been more forgettable if not for Ron Perlman and Donnie Yen. But as is, probably my favorite.

Blade Trinity
I'm sorry, but I just couldn't stand Parker Posey's character. Not sure if it was under-acting or over-acting, but there were plenty of eye-rolls every time she was on screen. Ryan Reynolds was fun to watch. In fact, I'd watch this movie time and again just for his performance. Dracula was...okay. As much as they played him up as making Stokers novel look trivial...he really didn't come across as any more threatening than the other big bads of the other movies.

Still...Ryan Reynolds.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
A few obscure one's I've watched on my off day are Bad Moon (1996), The chilling (1989) and Demons 1 and 2, both Italian Horror films.

That werewolf in Bad Moon looks amazing. I couldn't believe I'd never heard of that movie until a couple years ago.

I've still got to get around to checking out Demons 2, but you need to be in the right mood for an Italian horror movie. (Basically, ready to rewind a lot and go, "What the hell just happened?")

To bring it back around to Dracula, I watched the classic Universal 1931 Dracula last night. At the very beginning of the film, you see the various coffins spread around with various "night creatures" in the area. There's a scene where they use a miniature coffin to create the impression of a giant insect:

All the times I've seen this movie (including last night on TCM), it never occurred to me that they were trying to make the bee seem large. My mind goes immediately to "tiny bee-sized coffin".

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I always thought it was a tiny coffin, because that's funny and gives the film one of the few bits of personality it has.

ChessPieceFace

Citizen
Decades after I first saw the iconic VHS box cover with a little green suspender-wearing monster popping out of a toilet, I finally watched Ghoulies today. Wow, was that ever not what I expected, and awful. It's all satanic rituals, domestic disputes, dwarf slaves, and possessed college students, with the Ghoulies as little puppet minions that only jump at people occasionally. Yes, one Ghoulie does pop out of a toilet, but the scene is of no consequence and he is not wearing suspenders. A dull, dismal, total disappointment.

Frustrated, I immediately watched Ghoulies II, and it turned out to be exactly the PG-13 1980s creature feature slasher that I wanted. They don't even bother connecting anything to the first movie, they just jump right to tiny slimy rubbery monsters shanking jerks at a carnival. The Ghoulies puppets are much improved, with fun stop-motion sequences, the acting is better, the script actually has setups and payoffs, they redo the toilet scene so it actually matters, and the Ghoulies shoot things, cackle, and high-five each other. It's a delight.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
It's funny how with the "little creature" horror movies, it's details from the sequels that seem to stick in peoples' memories. Goofy Ghoulies, the giant Critter ball, mutated Gremlins, etc.

Glitch

Citizen
I recall a film called Night Shadows (1984) that I just found again titled 'Mutant' but remember it for having a monster on the poster that never appeared in the film. It's actually in full on Youtube, it's not a classic but does feature a ballsy death for it's day.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
Well Halloween is over. I never managed to get around to posting what I ended up watching, so here goes:

Only had two real nights for the Holiday. One Halloween stream, and then an impromptu Saturday Morning Cartoon stream.

For the Halloween stream we began with the Courage the Cowardly dog/ Scooby doo crossover movie. Which is a fun little time.

After that was the Halloween Tree, something requested from last year.

Then we showed Eight Legged Freaks.

After that was Cat's Eye. A Steven King Movie I doubt gets talked about much. I mainly remember it for it's third act with the little goblin and the cat. It was neat seeing some references to his other works at the beginning of the movie. Like Cujo and Christine.

Last of all we ended the night with a movie called "As the Gods Will" by Takashi Miike. If you are familiar with what he does, then you know this movie is something.

For the Saturday Morning Halloween stream, I went and found a ton of Cartoon Halloween episodes to show:

We started with the Halloween episode of "What's New Scooby Doo"
Then if I remember correctly, we did a Beetlejuice cartoon episode, one of the Hey Arnold episodes, The Ghostbusters cartoon "Halloween Door" and finished it off with Invader Zim.

It's a bit tougher for me, as I just don't care for slasher movies, and am not a big fan of gore. So I have to locate the movies that don't rely too much on those. Thus I do a lot of Horror Comedies.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't like slashers either, and it's not just a gore thing. The original Halloween isn't exactly a blood fest. It's that slashers tend to be exhibits A through at least Y when it comes to the trope of horror movie characters compounding their situation by making bad decisions and being just generally helpless. It's hard to take the monster appropriately seriously when the victims seem like they would fare just as poorly against an angry squirrel.

Monsters are more memorable and effective when they're up against capable opponents. I can think of no exceptions.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I never did get around to watching Van Helsing. I guess I still can. It's just, now that it's not October anymore, the desire just kinda dissipated. Eh, I may still go for it at some point.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
Yeah, after a month straight of just horror movies, I'm ready to throw on some westerns.

Maybe that could be a thread too, we'll talk about how close the two True Grit movies are to the novel, and show off our Josey Wales memorabilia.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Had a pretty good turnout this year, went through roughly 2 bags of candy. Went back to our tradition of setting up a fire pit in our driveway and making food over it while handing out candy.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not sure if you meant it as a joke, but that's exactly what he's going to be when he comes out. Couldn't find a group picture with him in it though. I have Mikey and Leo. I'm going to have to hunt for the others.

Ha! I did mean it as a joke, since he wasn't visible in the picture. Had no idea that he was actually going to be the Invisible Man.

Top Bottom