2019 Ongoing IDW Comics Thread

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen

Out this past week was issue #34 of the Transformers ongoing, continuing the "Lord of Misrule" segment. Completed are the Transformers: Galaxies anthology, the Transformers Valentine's Day Special, and the Transformers: Escape miniseries. Upcoming are the Transformers: Wreckers—Tread & Circuits miniseries and the Transformers Halloween Special.

I do believe Brian Ruckley has found his stride, and I enjoy how this universe keeps delivering tonnes of obscure and semi-obscure characters at the forefront.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I'm really enjoying Termagax and it's going to be a shame when she's inevitably taken off the board.

I was thinking the other day and Doubledealer might make a good base for a toy for her.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I'm a little behind, but I just finished issue #28. The first half was baffling. I'm having a really hard time following what's going on from page to page. Even the Ratbat stuff was awkward. I think theres supposed to be a gap in time between the first panel and the second where the autobots just storm the place (with Megatron and Strika in the same room?!?)

Also the dialogue text boxes have no context as to who is speaking in them until about halfway thru the issue we're supposed to piece together that its Starscream and Refraktor.

Im liking the plot but this isnt the first time the simple act of reading the comic was giving me a hard time.

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
I really liked 33 with Bee and Swindle. The scene that stood out in 34 to me was Optimus passing out Autobot badges. I do feel there is a massive cast and as such the story flies all over the place. Sometimes wish it would focus on a smaller core cast sometimes.

LiamA

Citizen
I'm a little behind, but I just finished issue #28. The first half was baffling. I'm having a really hard time following what's going on from page to page. Even the Ratbat stuff was awkward. I think theres supposed to be a gap in time between the first panel and the second where the autobots just storm the place (with Megatron and Strika in the same room?!?)

Also the dialogue text boxes have no context as to who is speaking in them until about halfway thru the issue we're supposed to piece together that its Starscream and Refraktor.

Im liking the plot but this isnt the first time the simple act of reading the comic was giving me a hard time.

You're right. That stuff with Ratbat is confusing.

MrBlud

Citizen
I stopped reading at #13 but never turned off auto subscribe so I have every issue.

I’m so very tired of Transformers fiction I have to force myself to consume rather than *want* to.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Transformers #35 - really great stuff. Getting into some full-on warfare here, with some really nice spread panels. Malkova's getting pretty good.

Beast Wars # 8 - this, on the other hand, continues to be dull. There's some slight deviations from the cartoon, but not anything major. For example,
changing the stasis pods to all be 50/50 Maximal/Predacon from orbit, so it's a pre-determined surprise when it opens, is different from it being a race to claim each one, but it feels very much like it ends up in kinda the same situation with roughly the same amount of troops on each side.
Overall the writing is just predictable and uninteresting, even apart from being the same situation as the cartoon.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This Beast Wars comic reads like an encyclopedic timeline instead of a dramatic narrative. Everything is spelled out in detail as it happens, with nothing for the reader to deduce or realize in hindsight. It could still be interesting in its own way as an experimental telling of the story, but so far the events depicted are as bland as the approach to depicting them.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I feel like there was definitely a change of plans after issue 6. Just...looking at Dinobot. I don't know if Batman Beyond Bruce-Dinobot would've been a good idea, but it was pretty jarring for him to be...just perfectly fine in the very next issue like that.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I think having the pods come down in what would be I suppose episode 6 is a great shake up from the series.

And solicitations for the next couple of issues have Skold be the focus of the next and Razorbeast join the maximals.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
I feel like there was definitely a change of plans after issue 6. Just...looking at Dinobot. I don't know if Batman Beyond Bruce-Dinobot would've been a good idea, but it was pretty jarring for him to be...just perfectly fine in the very next issue like that.

Agreed. My guess was that it was meant as an 'explanation' for why he was skilled enough to take on all the Predacons pretty much by himself at first, but is just another guy (more or less) going forward. Which doesn't really felt like it needed explaining, nor does it seem to have any potential payoff if he's just going to be fixed up.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Week of 9/29:

Shattered Glass #2 - I've always thought SG had potential as a concept, but outside of Shattered Expectations, never really took to it. I think it either needs to be played as fully over the top, tongue in cheek, or needs to be a really thoughtful look at what these characters would look like in a swapped situation. Instead most of it just feels generic, just with the names swapped. #1 really suffered from this, I think, and felt rather pointless. This one is an improvement in that regard, as some of the Megatron/Starscream stuff actually does feel like those two characters as good guys. That said, things are still moving pretty slowly and aren't super interesting. Might be dropping this one in a couple issues. I do love the homage covers though so far.

Halloween Special - decent one-shot, and was pleasantly surprised it was set in the current (2019) universe. The ending sputtered a bit, but it was some nice insight into Starscream's character and backstory. Him getting to go on naturalist expeditions with Cryak is a good spin on his 'scientist' background he had in the original cartoon.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
Halloween Special - decent one-shot, and was pleasantly surprised it was set in the current (2019) universe. The ending sputtered a bit, but it was some nice insight into Starscream's character and backstory. Him getting to go on naturalist expeditions with Cryak is a good spin on his 'scientist' background he had in the original cartoon.
It was indeed a neat story built around Starscream having a mom!

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Week of 10/13:

King Grimlock #3 - This continues to be rather meh. I like the idea of a "Conan" book with Grimlock, but the execution continues to be lacking. I can't say I get much out of seeing them go from fighting a swarm of brownish-red woodbots to fighting a swarm of reddish-brown zombies. Art-wise, there's some cool panels, but then there's also a bunch of panels where I can't even tell what's happening beyond some Grimlock-colored part blasting something. Also Arko makes a wood suit for some reason.

Wreckers: Tread & Circuits #1 - Now this was a lot more fun. I like this take on the Wreckers, both in terms of concept (stunt team as a cover for spy team) and the characters chosen. Thunderclash feels like the only weird choice, but that's just because I probably took too well to the 2005 IDW interpretation. Lawrence's art is maybe a bit too ... happy? for my tastes, and there's a bit of a weird bit where we first see them 'infiltrate' but they don't seem to actually have a mission, but everything else works very well - introduce the characters, the concepts, the plot arc and a couple hooks. Looking forward to this one.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
there's a bit of a weird bit where we first see them 'infiltrate' but they don't seem to actually have a mission
I took this as, since it's a time of peace (I think? I couldn't quite place when this issue takes place with regard to the Ruckley books) the Wreckers are just performing shows as entertainment. Alternatively (and I think I like this idea) part of their cover is that they just regularly do shows, so not all of them are for spec ops missions.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Week of 10/27:

Transformers #36 - A fun ending to this story arc (I believe), with the Enigma serving as a Macguffin to have all the characters chase around (including lots of teleport shenanigans with Skywarp and Jumpstream, only for it to end up lost, at least for the moment. There's a small bit of "well that was all for naught" feeling, but I liked how this moved along. I admit I'm a little confused as to Skywarp... I thought he was possessed by Exarchon the whole time, and trapped in unspace, with Jumpstream waking him up and bringing him back. But here it seems like Exarchon was hiding in Provoke? I guess he could've been in both Skywarp and Provoke, and maybe being stretched too thin is what left him slumbering...

Shattered Glass #3 - same as before, not much to say that I haven't said... still not really grabbing me. Apparently it's a 5 issue mini so I'll probably end up completing it anyways though.

Beast Wars #9 - more comments in the Beast Wars comic thread, but this was the best issue yet, and we're finally starting to diverge from the cartoon in the broader strokes.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Can Lawrence handle such a serious sounding book? Everything I've seen of their art is bouncy and cartoony.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
Haven't read today's issue yet, but the last page says, "To Be Continued in Transformers #40 and War's End #1", which really makes it feel like this continuity is wrapping up...

Magnusblitz

Citizen
I thought so too at first, but I had missed the announcement of War's End back in November (as posted by SHIELD Agent 47 above). Sounds like it's just dealing with the Exarchon plot, with "War's End" being a bit of a weird title (unless there's a ton of flashbacks to the end of that war maybe?) I don't think it's intended to be the wrap up to the continuity though. Certainly still feels like everything is just beginning with no end in sight.

Top Bottom