Anime

wentwood

Citizen
With 34 parts could Sailor Stars be a sort of it's own series?

Also watching pre Netflix episodes of Pocket Monsters US Dub.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I need an old Mecha anime identified.
Do you remember what color the main hero robot was? Was it blue? It sounds kinda familiar to me, if the main robot was blue, it might be Shin Tetsujin 28, aka The New Adventures of the New Gigantor. I'll have to do some scanning through episodes and see if there's one like that.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
And when you say "old," what time-frame are we talking here? And what country was it airing in (and was it dubbed)?
Ok, I don't remember the main robot hero at all. I was too struck by the trauma of the poor robot kid on the horse sacrificing himself and his gruesome corpse.

Oh! It was dubbed. Watched it in the 80s.
Could very well have been a 70s show, I can't tell. Watched it on... Betamax, maybe? If it was on Philippine TV at that time, I probably would remember watching the show again when it aired.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just been watching the second ep of Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts, the story is pretty much a beauty and the beast type story, the lead female Sariphi is the 99th offering to aplease the Beast King and the Beast people of his kingdom believe he and the previous kings have eaten all the previous 98 offerings, things aren't what they seem at first glance, as the Beast King suddenly decides to take Sariphi as his Queen

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Active series: Skip and Loafer is a super slice of life cute comedy. Love the propaganist. Slight romance but not much development there.

Binged Itazura no Kiss (aka ItaKiss). Romance/comedy but this one was bad. Breakneck speed, tons of plot devices for drama, and I only (slightly) sympathized with some of the secondary characters. The main issue was the toxic relationship b/t the two leads. Played off for laughs, naturally, but I reaaaaally dislike the superior man looking down on the hopeless girl trope. And of course at the end, everyone ends up married/with kids. It was entertaining enough to keep me watching to the end, I guess.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just been watching the latest ep of The Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure: Serving Gods Who Go Too Far, Isekai, more comedy than anything on top of the main character accidently building a bit of harm, starting by saving the princess and the king's advisor's daughter at the same time, he so OP that even the captain of the knights can't defeat him as a result, she falls in love with him and wants to marry him, despite the fact she older and taller than him, also because of what he done, he gotten the title of Baron, also, he capable of beating S rank monsters by himself, yet, he offen in trouble with the king, thou he doesn't want to get in trouble with him!

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
With 34 parts could Sailor Stars be a sort of it's own series?

Also watching pre Netflix episodes of Pocket Monsters US Dub.
Technically each season of Sailor Moon was its own series. That's why the title kept changing, as opposed to, say, Magic Knight Rayearth, which did its two stories under the same title.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
For Sailor Moon at least most series title changes were indicating the new story arc. They squeezed in an extra in R. But despite the title changes most would consider the entire 90's run as one series all together. I wish Crystal had been more consistent that way. I'm not really happy that the last two arcs are movies rather than full series.

And I have been watching Aristocrat's Otherworldly Adventure as well. Can't give you a reason why other than the comedy of the kid just being too OP for his own good and "suffering" for it. There really isn't much going for it that makes it much different than most other reincarnation Iesekai.

"Why Raeliana Ended up at the Duke's Mansion" gives me the same artistic side like "The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent" but the plot is a bit of a murder mystery mixed with the not trying to die like "Next Life as the Villainess" without the humor. It's nice series to watch for the look of it, but I'm kind of left wondering where it's even trying to head towards. Obviously Raeliana is going to end up with the Duke but the way getting there is kind of meh.

But I continue the pointless Iesekai train with the second season of "Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch!" It's a cute show. I watch it. I wonder why I watch it at times. It's probably the cute fluff anime that I can watch with the kiddos and not worry.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Slayers -> Slayers Next -> Slayers Try would be another example of the old naming model they had back then. Same characters, different story arc that still ties into the previous series, similar but new name. Saber Marionette is another.

Framing it as a seperate series may have allowed it to be an easier sell to networks(and sponsors) at the time, and making each "series" self-contained allows them to have a complete story if they can't sell the next one. In Sailor Moon's case, the source material also breaks it up the same way, maybe for similar reasons in selling it to the manga publisher? Given that's the original source material, in at least SM's case that's undoubtedly related too. It's also far from the only one with that pattern(see the Getter Robo manga) so it may just be "how things were done" at that time. Most of the examples I can think of back then that had really long runtimes were also derived from really long running manga, like Dragonball, Inuyasha, and Saint Seiya, or household names like Detective Conan(though tbf I want to say that has a long-running manga too).

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Just been watching the latest ep of Got a Cheat Skill in Another World and Became Unrivaled in The Real World, Too, this is a pretty good series, while its not really adding anything new to Isekai, its how it handling the ideas setup by other shows, such as the main character was weak, fat and bullied until he found his way to another world, but instead of loosing weight and seeing he suddenly hansome, he still thought himself ugly, but his life has turned around with a brand new second chance, because he simply saved a single girl from a scum bag! This latest ep was pretty good, thou what he does during the fire, had me kind of screaming "At least let your clothes get burnt a bit mate!"

wentwood

Citizen
Currently watching Sailor Stars.

Cosmos will adapt this for the next 2 part movie.

I wonder how Cosmos will handle the Sailor Star Lights. Also if we might see the Star Seeds plot.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Given the fact that the resent Sailormoon adaptions all been extremely close to the manga, it likely play out in a similar fashion

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, the latest chapter of One Piece was kind of a big one, and I wanna talk about it.

BIG spoilers for Chapter 1085 below! You've been warned!
I'm honestly surprised at how much Imu talks this chapter.

The fact that they refer to themselves as "Mu" (Which means void or dream...while also being the name of a old Atlantis-like lost continent) is making me think I was right, and Imu IS a woman. Talking about yourself in the third person isn't EXCLUSIVELY a female thing in Japan, but I feel like it comes up more often with female characters, as it's a way to make them slightly more "cute". And even though her gender is still technically unclear, this chapter DOES seem to confirm that Imu is 800 years old, at least. She seems to have too much personal knowledge about the Void Century otherwise.

Also this means that the "Void Century" and the "Empty Throne"...COULD be called "Imu's Century" and "Imu's Throne". Clever.

Given her attitude and personality...I'm kind of getting a "eternal child" vibe from her. I wonder if she's actually going to turn out to be a Immortal Child-Empress. Which would KIND of make sense with how the Celestial Dragons act. Maybe the Celestial Dragons were all her old playmates back when they were all children...but she's the only one who never grew up.

We only really get bread crumbs this chapter. They tease at what the "D" means. It's probably "Dawn", but they still don't spell it out. But, the idea that Lili was the one who spread the Poneglyphs around the world is a interesting piece of world building.

But, the thing I REALLY want to talk about are the Gorosei's Devil Fruits. Yes....the Gorosei seem to have Devil Fruit powers. Either that, or Imu's power somehow cloaks all her allies in shadow, because the artwork is really hard to make out. Clearly, Oda wants to tease these out a little more. But, I kind of want to speculate on what they could actually be. I'm going to assume there's some sort of theme with the Gorosei's Devil Fruits...but they COULD just be 5 random super-powerful Fruits. (It's not like CP0 or Blackbeard's crew really have themes for their Fruits) But, it's more fun for me to speculate about a possible theme that could link all of them. I'm thinking these are all Mythical Zoan Fruits of some kind. We even see the "sash" that denotes a awakened Zoan around a few of their necks. Their bodies change too much for them to be other types of Fruit, I think. Except for maybe the "Human".

They're all hard to make out, but we see: A Bird, a Human shape, a Lizard or Frog-like shape, something with Horns, and...something that looks to me like a Boar or Elephant with Tusks. And it seems like Imu is represented by a giant pair of eyes behind these 5 main shapes we see.

Given we also see something that looks like a devil's pointed tail cutting up Cobra this chapter, I have to wonder if they're based on old Demon artwork. Like the work of Louis Le Breton. But, I looked through some examples and I can't find any really great matches. They still COULD be inspired by Demonic artwork, but I'm not seeing a connection, outside of the "tail"...which could just be a "tongue" of a "dart frog" or something. I DO really like the irony of the Gorosei actually being Devils, though.

Then, given my speculation about how these guys COULD be references to Saint Seiya, I wondered if they could be based on different constellations. And that could still fit. I could see the one with "Horns" being Taurus the bull or maybe even Cancer the crab with the "horns" actually being pincers. They can't be 1:1 matches with the main characters of Saint Seiya, because if they were we SHOULD have TWO birds. One for a Phoenix and one for a Swan. Still, given the planet theming (with...ONE of their names so far), I think constellations fit pretty well. The Bird could be Aquila (or Cygnus or Apus), the Human could be Orion (or Perseus or Hercules or maybe even the Southern Cross as a "sword"), and The Frog could be Lacerta.

But, I think the theming that fits the best with the silhouettes we've seen so far is actually yokai. These shadowy, kind of crumbled and weird-looking silhouettes kind of remind me the most of classical yokai artwork. Here's a list of possibilities: Ushi-Oni (Ox-spider), Gashadokuro (giant skeleton), Akashita (Red Tongue), Ogama (frog), Kamaitachi (sickle weasel), Itsumade (bird), Inugami (dog), Mikoshi-nyudo (extending neck), Nue (Monkey-Tiger), Yume no Seirei (Nightmare Old Man), Tsuchigumo (Demon Spider). The "Horns" actually looks a LOT like the artwork for a Ushi-Oni or Tsuchigumo. The Human actually does have a similar look to some human-like yokai like Yume no Seirei or Mikoshi-nyudo. So, I think this maybe matches what we've seen on the page the closest. Them having Mythical Zoan Fruits based on yokai could actually be pretty cool.

So, yeah, not a lot to go on, but speculation is fun.

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Rewatched: How a Realistic Hero rebuilt the Kingdom, its a good series, well plotted and each of the girls who become engaged to Somora has a role to play beyond looking good as they have their own talents and skills!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I just realized there is very little difference going other than tone between Realist Hero and "In another world with my Smartphone". Both have Isekai-ed heroes with smartphones, gathering a harem, ruling a nation, etc. The biggest difference is just how OP Smartphone's protag is and how much of a cheat the Phone becomes, where Realist just gets to use it as it's basic functions and solves the problems with actual brain power and economics.

Yet I'm still watching both >_<

Top Bottom