Transformers: One - New Animated Prequel coming September 20th, 2024 - Trailer 1 Released!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Am I the only one tired of celebrity stunt casting in these movies?
I mean, these people are almost never as good as ACTUAL voice actors.
I just saw an interview with Sam Witwer (the voice of Darth Maul in Star Wars Clone Wars & Rebels), where he admits that voice acting was way harder than he thought it was, and learning to do it well has actually made him a better on-screen actor as it's given him a better appreciation of using nuance in his voice to add to his performances. Something he never did before becoming a voice actor.
And that's the problem with hiring these celebrities for these jobs; most of them just come in and record their lines and that's it. I guarantee that all we'll get is "Thor" coming out of Optimus Prime's face. Most of them don't know how to create a character using just their voice.
My only hope is that guys like Hemsworth, hopefully having grown up with these characters, will give enough of a shit about them to want to really give it his all, and not just half-ass it.

Hemsworth does a good job acting in that scene. He also was pretty good in Cabin in the woods. He can do more than just Thor, so I am willing to give him a chance.

Shadewing

Citizen
Well I guess fans can be happy, seems like they're finally making BB's fanwank opening an entire movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The more I think about the casting of Hemsworth as Optimus, the more I'm reminded that if Cullen hadn't won his audition for Optimus for the first movie back in 2007, Bay would have instead had Optimus voiced by Liam Neeson.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well I guess fans can be happy, seems like they're finally making BB's fanwank opening an entire movie.
That happiness lasted just long enough for some Paramount exec (and later news articles referencing that) to call this the "first animated movie" (which, well, we've had a decade plus of live-action movies, and, well, we've seen this before). It's since been replaced by smug um-actuallying all over the place.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
The 1986 cast did okay, but Wally Burr may have had something to do with that.
He line-read Orson Welles same as everyone else. And if you've heard the commercial recording sessions Welles did, well, good on Burr for not being intimidated by Welles' reputation.

Now that would be missing media to get a hold of....

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Wally Burr once said to one of the voice actors, "You are on two award wining shows and I am the director for both of them!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They might have gotten along fine. Orson Welles just refused to do a bad job even if he was being directed to do a bad job. A dumb script still deserved a professional reading. That's all Wally Burr asked for.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He line-read Orson Welles same as everyone else. And if you've heard the commercial recording sessions Welles did, well, good on Burr for not being intimidated by Welles' reputation.

Now that would be missing media to get a hold of....

Noooooot how I heard it...

Related:

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Noooooot how I heard it...

Informative and entertaining -- particularly the bit about Welles' arrival.

Anyway, I seem to recall that both Flint Dille and Susan Blu have stated that Burr won out (or, more likely, Welles wasn't annoyed enough to press the point). That said, it sounds like there were a few nervous Sunbow/Marvel/Hasbro executives hanging around for this session, so perhaps higher-ups told Burr to take it easy....

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Keegan-Michael Key will not be changing his voice for Bumblebee in Transformers One. The director wanted him to use his natural voice for Bumblebee:

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The only thing about that is that his voice is so recognizable that it might be distracting to me like on Avengers: Age of Ultron hearing James Spader's voice.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The only thing about that is that his voice is so recognizable that it might be distracting to me like on Avengers: Age of Ultron hearing James Spader's voice.
Spader's voice didn't bother me because it fit so well for what that movie was trying to do with its depiction of Ultron.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spader's voice didn't bother me because it fit so well for what that movie was trying to do with its depiction of Ultron.
Well, I had been watching a lot the Blacklist at the time so his voice was a bit of a distraction. Not to say he did a bad job, it was just a distraction.

Top Bottom