Hasbro to bring back window packaging.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is on the front page but here's what they sent us

We wanted to share an update on packaging for Hasbro’s 6-inch-scale figures. Based on your feedback, we will be re-introducing windows and blisters to our 6-inch fan figures beginning later this year, into 2024 for select products across our portfolio of brands, including, G.I. Joe Classified, Power Rangers Lightning Collection, Star Wars Black Series and Marvel Legends. This will eventually expand to all new 6-inch figure releases.

The new windows and blisters will be made from bio PET or recycled PET helping us achieve our priority of meeting our fans’ expectations for extraordinary packaging and superior design while still developing packaging that minimizes waste and the use of virgin plastic.

Thank you again for being one of our biggest fans and for your continued support of Hasbro.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Thank Primus.

Next step is convincing them to start packaging everything in alt-mode again...

EDIT: Re-reading the statement again, sounds like this doesn't apply to Transformers? It's not one of the listed brands and I don't think they fall within "6-inch figures."

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Thank Primus.

Next step is convincing them to start packaging everything in alt-mode again...

EDIT: Re-reading the statement again, sounds like this doesn't apply to Transformers? It's not one of the listed brands and I don't think they fall within "6-inch figures."
I thought about that. I think it mostly applies to opaque packages with no way to see the figure at all.

Though it says other brands will be doing it later down the road so I assume they'll add the plastic to Transformers that have open windows at some point

The Phazer

Citizen
Definitely suggests retailers are kicking off about damaged product.

Bio PET isn't the best for mib collectors.

BeastWarsFan95

Toy photographer, webcomic artist, dinogeek
Citizen
I think Kingdom did the boxes best, a small plastic peephole to let you know you are getting the toy on the box while also protecting it from grubby hands.

Maximal_Arachknight

Citizen
The timing of the packaging change was terrible given what was going on in a world - leading to poor distribution at best. Not to mention making it easier for product to get damaged, stolen, replaced, etc.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah. I mean companies already had to know the "head stealing" was a concern. Couple that with the rise in package swap theft on *toys you could see* I can't believe they ever thought this would be a good idea to roll out brandwide across all products.

I find it interesting that Mattel doesn't seem to have any problems with lower prices and plastic blisters on toys like the MotU figures and window boxes on their vehicles.

People could argue "Well Transformers cost more to make" but that doesn't explain GI Joe, Power Rangers, et al.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Leadership at Hasbro is just trying to maximize profits and doesn't seem to care about the conseuqences until they're slapped in the face with them (see also: the OGL situation with D&D)

Cutting out the plastic in packaging probably saved them a few cents per toy, which over millions of toys is a few million dollars, which is not much in the grand scheme of things for Hasbro but it's millions more than they had before. It's just a little bit more grease for the squeeky wheel that is investors asking for as much growth as they can possibly squeeze out of the company.

Now, I wager that it's been in practice for awhile, it's quite obvious it's a detriment to their money making. So, say, if they save a few cents on plastic, but also have ever tenth toy lose a head, making it unsellable, the retailer decides they don't need more of that shit and reduce future orders.

The environmental aspect was always a crock of bs, as they were doing NFT's at the exact same time.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hasbro's leadership has been pretty piss poor about everything since Brian Goldner passed. Maybe in a vacuum there would be isolated incidents that would have been fine on their own, but given the widespread extend of their decision making it's no wonder the stock has tanked.

I'm not even going to pretend to be a financial expert, but from the exact time Chris Cocks took over as CEO (Feb 2022) the stock had gone from healthy to today being at pandemic 2020 levels of negative growth.

Attachments

• stock.png
    stock.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 67

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I feel like that's a larger problem with the world's economy in general. A lot of industries boomed during the pandemic. For instance, people went out less, had more money and got into all sorts of hobbies like breadmaking or, you know, collecting action figures.

Now that businesses and governments are tired of dealing with the pandemic, they're declaring it over and people are being forced back into offices and all of the places they used to go are reopened (if they didn't close down entirely) and we've also been hit with a really gross price increase across the board disguised as "inflation." (Inflation was less than 10%, why are things going up in price by 30% then?) so these people now have less spare cash and thus only a few will stick to their new hobbies at the level they were at before.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe, but Mattel's stock (While valued at less) doesn't seem to be having quite the same problems. Like I said though, I'm not an expert.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I do wonder just how bad it will get when China goes nuts over Taiwan. It will inevitably disrupt ANY industry that relies on overseas factories, from cars to toys. I know Hasbro has looked at that and pulled a lot into Vietnam or the like but they still have to have the Pacific Ocean ports to get things from A to B, and any sea dispute will screw that up. And the prices will skyrocket for more expensive items that will have to be made domesticlly, if they can be made at all with what we have. I don't know if Hasbro has any backup plans if it has to de-export its manufacturing. QC has already been hit or miss enough that I'm reluctant to order anything because I don't know what will go wrong with it or how hard it will be to fix or replace. My biggest shock with Victory Saber was that everything mostly worked the first try.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for science to develop a viable alternative to plastic, though at this rate, I'm not sure if it will proliferate enough in our lifetimes to see the effects.

Top Bottom