Disappointing Yellowing Mystery

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
What has changed to cause this level of yellowing? Hasbro said they're confused by it as conditions haven't changed with them. Same plastic as always. What kind of environmental factors are at play here? Has there been any common thread identified?
wasn't something to do with not being able to do in person factory inspections thanks to covid?

also, doesn't Soundwave use a lot of paint?

Glitch

Citizen
Hasbro said their quality control suffered due to the pandemic, some think heat is the problem, mine seemed fine until a unusual heatwave hit Britain last summer.

Shadewing

Citizen
wasn't something to do with not being able to do in person factory inspections thanks to covid?

also, doesn't Soundwave use a lot of paint?

SG Soundwave is whiter then then RNC, anything not white is painted. which still leave him about 80% white.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Excikaiser used a plastic whitening gel to de-yellow a couple figures, but within a month they've started to yellow again.

Tungg's been having miserable luck with this issue, reporting seven different figures (including a Power Rangers Dino Fury toy) with absolutely horrendous yellowing, despite living in a very dry area and keeping these things in temps below 75° F:
870A235C-6F70-433F-8C49-6957E1106D95.jpeg

The fact that this issue still hasn't been solved in time for Star Saber is worrying.

Glitch

Citizen
You can add Kingdom/Legacy Blaster to this list.
Unfortunately it seems this isn't confined to Transformers products, it's happened to Star Wars and Power Ranger figures too.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
If my Luke, Han, and George Lucas stormtroopers (or ANY stormtroopers) escape yellowing I will be very surprised. I've seen many yellowed vintage ones, plus almost all vintage vehicles. I have one clone trooper helmet from the first run, it seems fine so far. What modern Star Wars are having the issue?

Luckily I have a botbots Snuggle Puggle. Any yellow can be blamed on him thinking it was snow. He has no idea why everyone's so mad...

Dake

Citizen
It's clearly a different type of plastic used for most Star Wars toys. The original Storm Troopers and Tatooine Luke yellowed pretty badly (they also leached plasticizers so they tend to be sticky). There was one Storm Trooper with a removable helmet that came out a few years ago whose helmet yellowed very quickly (so much so Hasbro rereleased him with a different helmet). My original BMF also yellowed very badly but I did have it displayed right in front of a window so I can't really blame the plastic... the bottom of the ship stayed normal. Otherwise, I have ships going all the way back to the seventies on display and even my original white TIE fighter and Rebel Transport only have the very faintest of yellowing. Certainly all the vehicles I've collected since the nineties are still clean.

Top Bottom