Star Trek Lower Decks

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm not familiar with DS9 but I thought it was a great episode.

I would have liked it if...
the fanboy Mesk had some skills used. He had the merch but maybe he could have practiced some practical applications, instead of just doing the reading? Would have made my inner fanboy happy, ala the guys with the ship trap knowledge in Galaxy Quest. Tendi could have given him something to do, like even a minor thing, cuz he wanted to be pirate-y.

Also I thought there was going to be more than canoodling.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Woooow, that new ep. Totally had a Rick and Morty vibe. Very good though.

I expected a callback to Sophia in the end but got something else.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
During the scene when Boimler was talking to Sulu, it felt to me like it was less Sulu, and more George Takei, which at first bothered me, but then it actually made the scene hit harder. It was both beautiful and heartbreaking, really.

Then he said "Horsey will bite you now.", and I busted out laughing.

Best episode of the season, in my opinion. Both of the Crisis Point episodes have been real highlights of their seasons, and hopefully there is a third along the way in a year or two.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the crisis ep and it was amazing! For Tendi Rutherford side of things. That was just sooo cool.

Boimler side, am slightly torn. Cuz I genuinely felt for him for the news he received, which was great. But then the ending happened, which was both awesome and not awesome.

I dearly loved the start when they were arguing about making the project, like, I wanna make a role playing movie with me and select friends and play it out in that kind of holodeck setup, darn!

Also, no comments on the Peanut Hamper ep?!

Also also, other Rutherford (Drofrehtur?) named the ship Sampaguita, so I guess that's the Filipino reference.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Also, no comments on the Peanut Hamper ep?!
I thought it was really good until the Cerritos showed up. I honestly figured Peanut Hamper was getting a redemption, until she didn't. Then I was left wondering just what exactly her motivations were. I guess she's a sociopath?

I'm not a big fan of Agimus, either, but I suppose those two will break outta jail at some point.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I liked it when I thought she was getting it and being redeemed, but in the end the subverting of expectations was great too, she was just SO goddamned aweful that it came around to fun again. She's such a horrible selfish brat it's impressive, and fun to see her fail.

-ZacWilliam, I'm looking forward to seeing her and the other AI return as antagonists in the future.

Kup

Citizen
Hated the Peanut Hamper episode. All four of us in the house look forward to watching this together. Not a single one of us liked it, and when this week’s aired, I even thought ti myself

”Man, last week was DS9 and this week was Sulu? This show is on a roll!”

it wasn’t until we watched TrekCulture’a review that any of us remembered that, no, that was an episode between DS9 and this one that you forgot about. Even Jeffrey Combs couldn’t redeem that trash episode last week.

This week’s was epic. Not as epic as DS9, but still amazing.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm not a Trekkie but has there been A.I. on tiny, floaty machines (with or without attitude) in any of the shows? I'll assume not, because of the cost of special effects. But I guess the slew of new Treks would have the budget for those now, if they wanted?

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Peanut Hamper is one of these:

They were able to communicate among each other, and Data in the first appearance, but came a long ways since.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Peanut Hamper is one of these:

They were able to communicate among each other, and Data in the first appearance, but came a long ways since.
Holy cow, they were real! And Peanut Hamper probably ruined their status as sentient beings with her stunts, dang.

Dvandom

Citizen
The romance subplot Boimler programmed into Crisis Point II does cast the season opener in a new light. Particularly, how he didn't just rebuff the flirting of the hotties on the raisin farm, he did a complete no-sell. Didn't even acknowledge the flirting. Yeah, he was preoccupied with the captain's trial, but but he treated the ladies as if they weren't flirting at all...in a sort of tired, "If I react I'll just encourage more" sort of way. He's definitely interested in romance in general, he's cool with shallow encounters (doesn't get much more shallow than making out with a holodeck NPC), and he likes curvy women. Plus, he had a likely fiancee back home, who may or may not have been one of the women seen in the season opener (it's been long enough I don't recall their names...heck, it's been long enough I don't recall his fiancee's name).

He just had no interest in encouraging THESE women, and they were very interested despite that. Granted, a lot of this is "Boimler is the buttmonkey" stuff, but it's possible to make it actually consistent rather than just whatever makes for a joke in the moment. Maybe he's had casual flings with all of them, they enjoyed it but he didn't, and he'd rather not get back into that. Maybe he grew up alongside them and sees them as sisters more than as romantic partners. Maybe they're just flirting to tease him, and he knows from painful experience that if he tries taking them up on any implied offers they'll laugh at him (while that fits the buttmonkey point, he doesn't really feel like someone who's as prickly about women as that sort of thing would make someone). Maybe they just plainly weren't interested in him before, he long ago wrote them off as unavailable, and now that he's a Big Damn Hero they're actually interested but his mental filing system is too rigid to let him notice that.

---Dave

Shadewing

Citizen
I feel the show is trying to get away from Boimler being the Buttmonkey. This whole season, he's more or less been coming up on top, even if he still suffers comedically. Like yes, he gets beaten up by Not-Predator and no one is willing to help him; but at the same time its revealed Not-Predator wasn't going to kill or really seriously hurt him (which in hindsight kinda explains why no one is willing to help him, as they know he'll be okay rather then it being them not giving a shit becuase its boimler) and ends up gainign a lot of repect and brownie points with his crewmates and superiors. It's not, yet (Which the season finale could still do), a Rug yank like previous seasons where he gets closer to his dreams and for some reason then gets it pulled away. He's still the comedy relief, but now he's kinda getting rewarded for it.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
They have Mariner as the lesbian already so they'd more than likely make Boimler asexual. And Rutherford can be robosexual and Tendi can be trisexual and Ransom can be galaxual or whatever -exual thing happens in the future.

Top Bottom