Prey (Predator 5) - streaming on Hulu

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
This was good. Like, not even good by franchise standards, but a legit GOOD MOVIE. The cast was great, and Amber Midthunder turned in what SHOULD be a star making turn. The film nailed the peculiar contrast that made the original so memorable: it started largely as a period piece with native Americans (and on its own merits, pretty good), then chucks in a massive space alien.
The cinematography just eked every ounce from the natural setting, looking better than films with much larger budgets. While there were a couple Easter Eggs for fans, the film never loses sight of its core objectives and nails them.

About the only flaws that could be levied against it is some rough CGI (likely a result of the limited budget) and the fact it IS a Predator film, and it does follow a particular pattern.
But, it’s like instead of trying to reinvent pizza as is the pattern in Hollywood, Prey opted to use its resources to just make a damn good pizza. And is all the better for it.

Of all the big franchise entries this year, I think Prey comes across as the freshest and biggest surprise of them all. I find it a bit sad that the film may not garner as much success as it should by being dumped on Hulu. ESPECIALLY given how good it is.

Lobjob

Citizen
I'd wager more people might give it a chance because lots of people have Hulu. I hope so. Its pretty great.

I liked the quick animated teaser at the end too.

Predators usually respect those that kill their own. I don't want to overstay our welcome in this setting but there's still some story left to tell here, if they want to.

Dake

Citizen
Yep - best entry since the original (and I liked Predator 2 when it came out but hasn't aged as well imo). Midthunder was fantastic, but no surprise after her turn in Legion.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
I've been following @DannyTRS since the Totally Rad Show days (2007?) and love seeing him grow into the director who would make this film. Fantastic film, upset we'll never get to see it in theaters.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Truly a shame dumping this on some trashy streaming service. It deserved a theatrical release, and deserves to sit alongside the first two as a blu-ray or 4K on people's shelves.

Although I'll always love Predator 2 as a schlocky 80s action flick with a sci-fi bent, Prey is easily the equal of the first Predator. Together, they make a great trilogy.

Dake

Citizen
I'm not sure I'd call Hulu "trashy", but I also wouldn't be surprised if this got a limited released in theatres based on the response.

In fact, it may have helped it reach a wider audience this way.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I heard of people seeing it in the theater, no idea where.

One would hope it gets a home media release.

It was also Hulu's biggest release, film or series.

Lobjob

Citizen
I'd rather it get released on a streaming platform so it can be a success rather than a medicre theater flub because nobody got off the couch to go see it. On Hulu, people got to stay on the couch and be pleasantly surprised.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I'd rather it get released on a streaming platform so it can be a success rather than a medicre theater flub because nobody got off the couch to go see it. On Hulu, people got to stay on the couch and be pleasantly surprised.
Fair enough, fair enough.

That said, I think the powers that be HAVE noticed the positive reception because I’ve seen an uptick in ads for the film in my YouTube algorithm. Certainly a LOT more than I saw leading up to the release of the film.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
I heard of people seeing it in the theater, no idea where.

I'm pretty sure it didn't get any kind of theatrical release that I've been able to find.

I ended up watching it in a theater this weekend all alone, but that's only because I'm Creative Director for a theater chain and can put whatever I want on the screen for myself. Might do MCU and Star Wars premieres the same way from now on.

Top Bottom