The CHUG Problem

Toolala

articulation denier
Citizen
So before I get into anything I just want to say this isn't meant to be a call out post or a way to shame people for buying mainline figures, or even some superiority complex about g1 toys, this is just something thats been on my mind for a while now and getting Liftticket this morning finally made me want to write about it.

So I've been collecting Transformers for around 10 years straight now, I grew up on Energon & Movie figures and some G1 knock offs. I've collected all sorts of lines, anything from G1 to UT to Beast Wars and Generations, I ended up settling for G1 collecting mostly just because I find them the most fun, and because WFC really burnt me out on CHUG. I don't have much nostalgia for G1 besides the 86 movie, so I look at most of the toys from the line at face value, judging them just based off how well they do what they set out to do, how fun the engineering is, how functional the alt modes are, how interesting the robots are etc.
in the same vein I look at Generations updates for those designs not as "how accurate they are" but more "how do they hold up compared to the original toy" and more often than not, I find them pretty disappointing. Now the complaints I have for Liftticket are specific to that mold, but I feel like the general design philosophy applies to most of WFC, not all of it obviously, but alot of it.

so whats the issue exactly? on the surface, the new Hoist mold seems to basically just be the original toy but with better proportions, more articulation, more paint, more cartoon accuracy, more playabilty thanks to the modulator compatible ramp & 5mm pegs on him, and no partsforming! with all of that in mind, how can it be worse?
now the most common complaint I see on this subject is quality related, and while sure, the plastic on the g1 toy is better, it has diecast metal, rubber tires, and chrome, but thats just setdressing at the end of the day, its nice to have but its not the meat and potatoes of what makes a Transformer a Transformer, the engineering.
So. Lets get into it.
First of all, the vehicle mode:
IMG_20220517_115409.jpg

again, on the surface there doesn't seem to be anything wrong, they're both boxy little cars with a weird contraption on their backs. lets ignore the vehicle they're based on because like I said, this isn't about accuracy to anything, just pure functionality.
it all starts becoming more clear when you look at it from a side angle
IMG_20220517_115419.jpg

you see how clean and elegant the bottom of the g1 toy is? you can hardly tell its even a Transformer, a tiny bit of orange and some chrome is all you get. but on Liftticket, yeeeeeeesh.
Now is kibble really that much of a problem? well, no, not really. that's not really what bothers me, what bothers me is why its even there, and the design philosophy behind this.
IMG_20220517_115908.jpg

Look at that completely hollowed out hood. again, the hollowness isn't what bothers me, its why its there. this serves no purpose, and it just feels like wasted space, had it been designed a tiny bit differently, they could have fit the arms in there a' la g1 Jazz or Prowl, but its just empty, and the arms end up sitting at the bottom, completely visible from the side, and it only looks worse from the front.
IMG_20220517_122522.jpg

it looks unnaturally high and empty, and the wheels are so thin, and all for what? this isn't a quality issue, its something that should have been figured out in the design phase but just wasn't.
again in Liftticket's defense, it does have clear Headlights and signal lights vs the g1's completely chromed out ones, and they do pop out better.
but ok, it has a major design flaw, but at least it does everything the original toy did functionally right?
well, kind of yeah. it rolls, not as well since its plastic wheels vs rubber ones, but it rolls fine. the problems start with the towing mechanism.
IMG_20220517_115502.jpg

Oof.
Credit where credit is due, it does have an actual wheel(singular) on it compared to the g1's sculpted on wheels, but that isn't really changing the fact its completely non-functional.
the railing needed to be longer to allow for it to sit low enough , but the shape of the ramp itself isn't even right, its far too thin, and it doesn't even have anything for for a car to hang onto like the tabs on the original.
I know this was meant to be sized for Micromasters, but even they don't co operate with this. the tiny little triangles that are meant to hold their wheels in place simply do not work, making this feature a complete failure.
and let me just say, the original is far from perfect, but it does work with a good bit of g1 Car bots, and because of how its attached it even allows it to turn which is pretty neat.
another thing I will say in all fairness is, the rest of the mcguffin on Liftticket's back does look better than the g1, and it doesn't have the back of his head visible on it either.

so with all of that in mind, 35 years of engineering advancements got us: a cleaner back section, and better head/turn lights. what we lost is a clean bottom, section, a vehicle mode that makes use of every segment, and an actual towing function.
not sounding great.
so, Transformation, oh boy.
naturally its more complex, but is it better or worse? I'm gonna go with worse for some very major reasons. it starts out reasonable enough, with the back section and hood coming up rather than starting with the sides.
IMG_20220517_124446.jpg

you stand them both up.
IMG_20220517_124603.jpg

this is where I find it annoying, the arms always seem to get latched onto something on Liftticket, and the way the whole belly and chest mashes down just doesn't feel good.
IMG_20220517_124645.jpg

IMG_20220517_124720.jpg

getting the head out on both is a bit of a process, on the g1 because of all of the junk attached to and around it and the double hinge its on, but on Liftticket its a simple head flip, and they still found a way to make it way too tight and annoying to pull out.
IMG_20220517_124809.jpg

so we end up with the robot modes:
IMG_20220517_120251.jpg

The g1 needs his fists/arm attachments partsformed onto his arms, so we can count that as another point in Liftticket's favor as far as advancements.
You could argue the proportions are better too, but I think they both look good for what they are. the heads are both sharp and on point, the belly is much flatter on Liftticket, and he now has an actual crotch section instead of his legs just starting from his belly, which I actually don't know how I feel about since the way the legs work on the g1 is one of my favorite things about it.
ezgif-5-6534d9a032.gif

the way the thigh slots perfectly around the tire is oh so satisfying. but the way Liftticket does it isn't terrible, just a little generic.
another would be his little flip out, shield generator...? I always saw this is as more of Trailbreaker's thing, and never really used it on Hoist, but its there, albeit tiny and kind of out of proportion.
IMG_20220517_125917.jpg

his gun is kind of bulbous and ugly in my opinion. but its fine, I think a swap out hand would have done better.

IMG_20220517_130642.jpg

One thing that really bothers me is the way they handled the arm kibble.
on the g1 toy I never even really looked at it as kibble, its just a part of the arm, it moves with it, and it has sticker detailing on the inside making it feel like a real part of the design.
the way Liftticket does it is just a bit weird, it doesn't commit to making it a part of the arm, with the outwards shoulder joint being independent from it(though this is partly for transformation) but the backwards and forwards joint being hardlocked to it.
IMG_20220517_132358.jpg

this just makes posing kind of... odd. because if you want to put his arms outward you're leaving the doors behind, if you want to take them forward you take them forward with you like the g1 toy, put those 2 aspects together and it just ends up being really bizarre looking in most poses.
IMG_20220517_131537.jpg

so these are the small little problems, just little quirks that don't really amount to much.
the real issues I have with this toy and the ones that shine a light on why I find Mainline toys so much less interesting than most g1 toys is this.
IMG_20220517_120324.jpg

No, it isn't the hollowness itself, again, its the reason its there. I'm fine with the legs being hollow, it lets them compress and make the toy bigger than most deluxes at the small cost of looking kind of ugly from the back. what matters is they serve a purpose. my problem is with the torso.
like I talked about in the vehicle mode section, its empty, and its empty here too. it doesn't change or server a purpose, it is simply a waste of space. compare this to the g1 toy which leaves practically 0 empty space in either modes, everything is utilized, the legs move out to allow the torso to fold in and fill up the body, its just a very satisfying process and it feels like a fully fledged design.
Liftticket just feels.... wasteful. its like they already had the design mostly figured out but just couldn't be bothered to give it the finishing touches it needed to really shine and feel like a satisfying experience. its big and bloated without any real substance.
it also does this and I don't know why.
IMG_20220517_115052.jpg

so at the end of the day, is Liftticket a bad toy? are all Mainline toys bad?
no, but I do think most of them are extremely undercooked and not as satisfying as their g1 counterparts.
on an objective level, there's obvious improvements this mold has over the g1 toy, some of which I've mentioned, but at the end do they actually make it better? I don't feel like they do. the toy feels less finished and lacks the functionality of the original. its more articulated, which is a good thing, I guess, but thats kind of a given when it comes to new toys isn't it? its not really impressive for it to have ankle tilts and universal hips and shoulders, its kind of just the standard. it has double jointed knees and a fairly deep elbow bend, I guess, that's relatively stand out compared to other WFC toys, but is that really special? I wouldn't say so.
what I'm trying to say here, is its lacking. comparing these toys for when they came out and what they do for their respective time period, I just find Liftticket falls short in basically every aspect, and I've felt like this with pretty much every new toy of a g1 design we've gotten since WFC started(with some exceptions) they feel shallow and uninspired, they rarely do the things the original toys did that made them feel unique, and they pretty much never replace it with anything new or special that makes them stand out.

when its all said and done, when I want to play with a funny fat robot hilux, I'd pick the g1 toy every single time over the Earthrise mold, but thats just me.

Attachments

• ezgif-5-6534d9a032.gif
    ezgif-5-6534d9a032.gif
    201.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
This is an interesting discussion, and I wish I had more time to participate this morning. Your points are very similar to one of the reasons I prefer Gobots/Machine Robo over Transformers.

The Phazer

Citizen
I think we had a period when the issues were less stark. The classics/generations era where there were more convincing tyres, superior finishes etc. But we are at a point where the primary improvements are a bit of accuracy and articulation, but against hollowness, finish and getting past those compromises on vehicle mode etc. And I worry for the future that we're getting to a point where we already have toys with the articulation and accuracy, so any new versions are just going to be worse.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
One big worry I've had is the structural situation. I've seen quite a few things in recent years that just didn't hold up, and I'm not sure why as there didn't seem to be anything wrong till it broke, usually around pivot points. That's partially why I'm so hesitant on Menasor, I see the 'pin through clear plastic' on Wildrider. There's also Menasor's ankles, that would make the hood of Wildrider move if you tilt the foot, will that also press on that joint in unhelpful ways? Some modern toys are MUCH better than the older ones (take it from someone who saw Transformers when they were new, a shelf fall for a new figure is much more survivable than an old one) but in recent times, fragility is creeping back in and I don't know why.

Toolala

articulation denier
Citizen
One big worry I've had is the structural situation. I've seen quite a few things in recent years that just didn't hold up, and I'm not sure why as there didn't seem to be anything wrong till it broke, usually around pivot points. That's partially why I'm so hesitant on Menasor, I see the 'pin through clear plastic' on Wildrider. There's also Menasor's ankles, that would make the hood of Wildrider move if you tilt the foot, will that also press on that joint in unhelpful ways? Some modern toys are MUCH better than the older ones (take it from someone who saw Transformers when they were new, a shelf fall for a new figure is much more survivable than an old one) but in recent times, fragility is creeping back in and I don't know why.
Yeah I specifically did not bring up durability because most Diaclone/Microchange molds aren't exactly solid either, if this was on some 86+ stuff I could definitely go over on how much better the durability and longevity is on them compared to a chug equivalent.

Dake

Citizen
You're not wrong, but there's only one solution to all your critiques: money. How much are you willing to pay? The engineering, materials and construction are all manageable, but are you willing to pay fifty bucks for a deluxe? Like it or not, everything is more expensive and this includes labor. Toy manufacturers can no longer pay workers in some foreign land pennies a day to make stuff. It may only still be dollars a day now, but it adds up. Throw in the increase in prices for literally every other aspect of toy making and this is where we are - you either cut as many costs as possible to meet a price point, or you increase the price point to maintain a certain level of quality.

For an example, let's look at Prowl through the years and his MSRPs (give or take a couple bucks) adjusted for inflation:

G1 Prowl 1984: 7.99/22.67
RiD Prowl 2000: 12.99/21.45
Universe Prowl 2008: 10.99/15.05
Siege Prowl 2019: 19.99/22.96

Alternators Prowl 2005: 19.99/30.31
Masterpiece Prowl 2013: 79.99/100.42

So they've remained remarkably consistent price-wise (Universe Prowl being the outlier), but in order to do that they had to make changes elsewhere and those changes are reflected in your various critiques.

Last edited:

Dvandom

Citizen
And to add to the cost issue, while overall inflation may not be enough to explain the Great Cheapening, a lot of what's kept inflation from being higher is that manufacturers have found ways to make things less expensively. They couldn't just reissue T30 Waspinator for Kingdom, for instance, because even though the price of a Deluxe has gone up since then, they can't make T30 Waspinator on a Kingdom Deluxe budget. Forget about G1 stuff. A $50 Deluxe wouldn't get what you want either, I suspect.

(The absolute champion in terms of holding the line on price has got to be Hot Wheels, which have been about a buck for as long as I can remember, back to 1978 when they were 88 cents at KMart. A 1978 Hot Wheels car without modification would be a loss-leader at the $5 price point these days.)

---Dave

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I suspect scheduling may be as much an issue as the budget. It really is a lack of finishing touches rather than a fundamentally flawed design. You're right. Those arms could have hidden away more neatly using the space that's already there. The design just didn't get that far.

I don't know if Diaclone Car Robots were designed to come out in waves or if they were just ready when they're ready, but a Deluxe Transformer today definitely doesn't have the luxury of coming out whenever it's ready. The deadline is merciless.

Dake

Citizen
Toy "waves" didn't exist back then. You got what you got for the year and that was it, though it was also available all year (and even multiple years) long.

Toolala

articulation denier
Citizen
You're not wrong, but there's only one solution to all your critiques: money. How much are you willing to pay? The engineering, materials and construction are all manageable, but are you willing to pay fifty bucks for a deluxe? Like it or not, everything is more expensive and this includes labor. Toy manufacturers can no longer pay workers in some foreign land pennies a day to make stuff. It may only still be dollars a day now, but it adds up. Throw in the increase in prices for literally every other aspect of toy making and this is where we are - you either cut as many costs as possible to meet a price point, or you increase the price point to maintain a certain level of quality.

For an example, let's look at Prowl through the years and his MSRPs (give or take a couple bucks) adjusted for inflation:

G1 Prowl 1984: 7.99/22.67
RiD Prowl 2000: 12.99/21.45
Universe Prowl 2008: 10.99/15.05
Siege Prowl 2019: 19.99/22.96

Alternators Prowl 2005: 19.99/30.31
Masterpiece Prowl 2013: 79.99/100.42

So they've remained remarkably consistent price-wise (Universe Prowl being the outlier), but in order to do that they had to make changes elsewhere and those changes are reflected in your various critiques.
I've already stated that the cheapness and hollowness isnt the problem, it's just outright weird design decisions.
this isnt a situation where they had a great toy in mind that they just had to mangle in order to fit in the budget, the arms hiding away should have been in the blueprints, the chest being completely empty in both modes just screams unfinished design.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
I've already stated that the cheapness and hollowness isnt the problem, it's just outright weird design decisions.
this isnt a situation where they had a great toy in mind that they just had to mangle in order to fit in the budget, the arms hiding away should have been in the blueprints, the chest being completely empty in both modes just screams unfinished design.
But that is money. More transformation steps = more parts = more money.

Toolala

articulation denier
Citizen
But that is money. More transformation steps = more parts = more money.
But it isnt about the amount of steps though, they chose to design the arms the way they did and the chest the way they did when some simple design changes could have allowed them to fit in the hood.
hell, if they traded the wrist swivel for fold in fists that would have already been an improvement.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
There's some ignorance about economics here that's been covered.

Anyway Sixo must love you...

I'm a fan of retro toys. I love classic Power Rangers/Sentai figures, and a lot of Brave stuff I collect has that same retro feel G1 TFers have. I even have a few G1 moulds myself. I dig it. There's a charm that these older figures have, from an era of toy design of yesteryear.

That's the thing though. Yesteryear.

Ultimately this strikes me as a rehash of the "what happened to diecast?" sentiments. I know that's not what you're saying, but the spirit is the same- old toys did X better why don't new toys do X?

And at the end of the day there's a budget. Hasbro has to meet that budget for retail. Which means everything from parts count to paint apps to needs to be accounted for.
Factor in that oil prices are higher now then they were even just fifteen years ago (much less forty when G1 was ongoing) and you realize that Hasbro isn't exactly free to do everything you'd like them to do.

Like I love the TR line. And I can only wonder at how good it would have been if it had Cybertron's budget, but that's pure fantasy. So I'm not going to hold that arbitrary comparison against TR.

Like what you like at the end of the day, my man. I even agree with you on the charms of older vintage figures.
But like...the realities of toy design and engineering today are worlds apart from the 1980s.

Frankly I think what we're getting now is pretty great given the finances and resource management involved.

But it isnt about the amount of steps though, they chose to design the arms the way they did and the chest the way they did when some simple design changes could have allowed them to fit in the hood.
hell, if they traded the wrist swivel for fold in fists that would have already been an improvement.
Maybe the way they designed the arms was more cost-efficient allowing for more money to be spent on other things- either on Hoist's mould or one of his wave mates?

Lobjob

Citizen
While he never had a toy 40 years ago, I wish Alicon's gator arms tucked away and folded somewhere in robot mode and his robot hands were concealed in gator mode. This just came to mind regarding "finishing touches".

(EDIT: Alicon not Gatorcon)

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
That's the point. It ALL costs money, and the money spent is balanced across an entire wave of toys. In order to make the changes you're suggesting, they would've had to make a compromise elsewhere (by removing a feature or paint app or something else from another toy - or more likely multiple other toys).

You can't look at just the Trailbreaker mold. You have to look at everyone Trailbreaker came out with plus most likely everyone that Hoist and Lift Ticket were coming out with. And then they balanced all the development costs out across all of those toys. And after doing all of that, they had to give up some arm storage (among other things) in order to prioritize all the other requirements they weren't willing to sacrifice. I'm with you, it'd be nice if they even put the wrists on a pin that let them fold into the forearms. It'd be nice if all the modern wheels weren't so chinzy looking. But it is what it is.

Last edited:

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Interesting discussion. I've been collecting for a long, long time and I go back and forth between favoring the relative simplicity of the G1 era the most, and favoring more modern designs and engineering.

Ultimately though, for me, the decision to buy or not buy a new Transformer hinges on what I want for it to do. Is it a character that I like that has not had toy representation before? If so, I generally buy it. Is it an update to a beloved character that I feel is an improvement over a prior version? If so, I generally buy it. Is it yet another version of *insert character here* that has perhaps been executed better, at an earlier point? If so, I usually skip it. Finally, regardless of inflation, cost of materials, the state of the world, etc., if I feel that a design (or the execution of a design) is lazy, compromised, uninspired, cheap or just not fun, I avoid buying it altogether. Doing this has enabled me to better prioritize what I buy and to get more enjoyment out of the hobby in general.

Last edited:

Top Bottom