Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
YlRLEJe.gif

Science: success!

...now if only links were by default underlined or another color or something on here.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I'm really, really glad they didn't remold the Bumblebee face to also match the Thomas face

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
It's not like it really looks like Thomas either way other than the face and the colors in alternate mode. (Not like you'd expect them to somehow completely remold the vehicle into an LB&SCR E2 just for the funny repaint)

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Seeing that Thomas deco, I kind of wish Hasbro could do a Thomas/Rescue Bots crossover figure. Seems like it would be appropriate.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The blessed AU where a rival toy company doesn't own the Thomas brand.

(And yet Mattel still allows Takara to release Thomas toys in Japan, maybe it's because Mattel doesn't have that big a presence in Japan or something?)

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
IIRC Mattel doesn’t have an specific Japanese branch and has an Asia-Pacific branch instead that is a different company operating under their name like Bandai America or Hasbro Asia.

Might also be they only own the Thomas rights in certain territories or for certain product categories

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Nah Mattel completely owns the entire Thomas & Friends franchise. Copyright information on toys will say ©Gullane (Thomas Limited) and ©HIT Entertainment but HIT bought Gullane in the early 2000s and Mattel bought HIT ten years ago, so it's all just subsidiaries of Mattel now.

But yeah it probably is just a case of them not having a specific Japanese branch to distribute the toys there so they continue the pre-existing licenses (and do new licenses) for the Japanese market instead.

unluckiness

Citizen
i see. The only specifically Takara branded Thomas and friends stuff I see are either tiny diecast trains or working traintrack sets basically the kiddy version of the adult hobbyist train sets. The rest is basically regular Mattel stuff with a sticker somewhere on the box

unluckiness

Citizen
Spiky Predaking's Predacrotch reveal is incoming. I think it kinda adds to the balance that his top half is carnivorous and the bottom herbivorous. Reject partsforming crotch, return to monke

176520692.jpg

Last edited:

unluckiness

Citizen
I like how it's not blatantly Primal like the initial chibi art tease implied. Though I dunno, if there was a Decepticon who got reassigned by HR to the Predacons, personally would have gone Apeface.

anyway, I'll treat it as a new character and give him the Transformers name Apeshit.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Everything in Legacy seems solid so far. Some of the character choices are baffling, but the designs are good.

unluckiness

Citizen
Actual toys are good but Their interpretations of non-G1 characters are all godawful. Dumb since the theme was other continuity’s characters

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Bulkhead's biggest problem is the head. It's not a bad Bulkhead head, but it's too obviously not from a G1 universe. So it's not a satisfying representation of the Bulkhead we know, but it's also obviously not what Bulkhead would have looked like if he'd been in G1 all along. It's a weird hybrid thing that doesn't really fit anywhere.

It's reverse GDO.

unluckiness

Citizen
Bulkhead's biggest problem is his everything but the head. He doesn't have anywhere near the right proportions, a randomly different type of altmode, completely different kibble placement and straight-up Optimus detailing on the torso that doesn't even try to evoke either Bulkhead. Even a straight up Prime head wouldn't be as noticeable in Bulkhead's case since his face is so consumed by his mouthguard/lower jaw and the relatively simple shapes as compared to the rest of the cast.

Metroplex shows they can pull it off near-perfectly if they wanted to. Arcee, Bulkhead and Knockout are clearly just repaint fodder which would be okay if the line wasn't marketed to have emphasis on non-G1 characters pre-release.

Last edited:

Top Bottom