Star Trek: Picard

MrBlud

Citizen
The entire Borg Collective never once assimilated a single planet that had cars?

As for Raffi and Seven. Their performance very much struck me like improv where you told people from the future to act like they were in the past. Seven took it to heart and did a good job with stuff like “take an image” whereas Raffi acted no different.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I thought it seemed deliberate though. Like the purpose of having that scene and Seven using Star Trek words while Raffi played her straight man was to imply that Seven was a fish out of water but Raffi was familiar with the era for some reason.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
The entire Borg Collective never once assimilated a single planet that had cars?
I always wondered how much knowledge is retained by a single drone in the Collective. I kinda figure it sits in some kind of instantly accessible drone powered Borg-Wiki to be used when the situation demands. But not everyone would have the entirety of the assimilated information in the individual minds.

Axaday

Citizen
I always wondered how much knowledge is retained by a single drone in the Collective. I kinda figure it sits in some kind of instantly accessible drone powered Borg-Wiki to be used when the situation demands. But not everyone would have the entirety of the assimilated information in the individual minds.
It is an awful lot of information. Certainly more than a human brain can hold. But then a computer chip could probably do it.

It might be safer not to, though. How much do you want an off-network drone to be carrying around?

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I'd guess that to a first approximation, it'd be about like any individual in any society. Their brain contains the memories of the things that have gone through it. It's just that most of those memories didn't necessarily start or end in that brain. So things the collective thinks about a lot show up in most brains.

Cybersnark

Citizen
I feel like the Borg would compartmentalize or delete any data considered irrelevant (personal details, personality, emotional context, song lyrics, how different foods taste, etc). If it suddenly becomes relevant, the Collective would have to track down the specific drone who still has that data and access it (kinda like needing to know the specific sub-directory where you stored the files for that essay you wrote in college).

Dvandom

Citizen
Keep in mind, Seven drove BADLY, but she DID drive. She got the vehicle to start on the first try (unlike Captain Kirk in "A Piece of the Action"), so she did at least have the theoretical knowledge. She might have driven something similar on some backwater planet served by the Rangers...but didn't have to deal with traffic.

---Dave

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Also, the cortical implants are probably a place data like that might be stored and she doesn't have those anymore.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Which is itself a weird thing to see if they follow up with in any way. I'd had the sense that Seven's general superhuman abilities were due to her implants and Memory Alpha also seems to think so, which implies we probably shouldn't see her doing superhero landings and dual-wielding phaser rifles like last season. It occurs to me, Jessie Gender in her review of the second episode mentioned the implants from the angle that Seven should probably feel like she was missing a limb at first, and also called out the weird detail that Spock was supposed to be able to have done math that Seven couldn't for the time jump - maybe if Seven's lack of implants had been addressed, it'd actually explain the other thing.

MrBlud

Citizen
I keep having the feeling that Jurati is going to end up with Seven’s implant (or similar) by the time they get back.

or maybe Seven will have to get a new one to get the Queen out of her or something…

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
After the preview for next episode I've seen speculation that it will be Agnes herself as the Borg Queen from the first episode that came through the rift. That makes good sense since her face was covered (needed when it's someone you'd know) and the fact that the ship is atypical of traditional Borg ships. But also, because she called him Picard instead of Locutus.

Axaday

Citizen
I am running about a week behind on the show. Last night I saw Picard and Jurati go into the chateau on the vineyard and I loved some quiet subtext on the scene. In the first episode it showed a school age Picard moving to the vineyard and there was no detail but I felt like it could touch on why this Frenchman from France had a British accent. This scene completed it. He has a British accent because he grew up in England.

Kup

Citizen
Not gonna lie. I teared up. And scared the dog while screaming like a 10 year old. Say whatever you will about literally making TNG 2.0. It’s my childhood back together. I’m gonna love every minute of this.

MrBlud

Citizen
As a fan of TNG I’m very excited! Going to be really hard to top “All Good Things” however.

Kinda feel bad for the Picard cast though. Feels a bit like jamming even more TNG cast members into “These Are The Voyages…” and stretching it over a full season.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Unless after season three we get Star Trek: Stargazer as a follow-up.

Also, is anyone else terrified that all the TNG cast will return just to get offed in some terrible way?

Anyone get Lore vibes from his bit of dialogue?

Top Bottom