IDW's Having Problems Again-Layoffs and New Bosses

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I...guess this deserves it's own thread.

Yesterday, IDW announced it was cutting 39% of it's staff. And delisting itself from the New York Stock Exchange, meaning it will no longer be a publicly traded company. And announced they'll be getting a new CEO and Editor in Chief (...which makes...Four(?) in the last ten years?)

The list of people laid off include Tom Waltz, who used to be the writer for the TMNT comic. This seems to be more laying him off from his editor position, as he'll still be writing for the Last Ronin comics.

And some reactions from those who were laid off.

Now, this might buy them a few extra years by saving them money...maybe. But...it sure isn't looking good for them, right now. It's not exactly a "death knell", but it's probably a..."death tap" or a "death brush" or something.

*Looks over at the poor, possibly-doomed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, and Sonic the Hedgehog licenses* *SIGH*

My heart goes out to all those who lost their jobs.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's sad that things have to go down like this.

That said, if there is even the slightest possibility of IDW staying alive, this doesn't necessarily hurt that chance. While their "W-we totally meant to do this, guys. We don't want to be on the NYSE anyway!" talk is a desperate attempt at a positive spin, it is true that being on the NYSE isn't free. This does alleviate some non-trivial overhead that they really never needed.

Dvandom

Citizen
Despite a few half-hearted tries, they never really managed to grow beyond being a licensed product company. That put them completely at the mercy of the licensors, who are not known for mercy.

---Dave

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I know there's been a bit of discussion about IDW in the "main" comic book thread, but I'm going to put this in here. Since, this is kind of a special thread for this kind of thing.

It seems like IDW is cancelling a bunch of creator-owned books that they hadn't even solicited yet, after all the creators were in the middle of working on them.

This is a bad look for the company. It's a scummy move to greenlight a book, have the artists and writers work on it for months...and then just back out at almost the last minute. I assume the creators can still shop these books around to different companies like Dark Horse or Boom, but it's just a unprofessional thing to do.

And it kind of makes IDW look like they're in even WORSE financial shape than some might have thought. If they don't even have the money to PRINT some of these books that they no longer believe will sell...it's just a bad sign.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It seems the creators have full rights so at least they have a chance to pitch their books elsewhere. It would be way worse if IDW canned the books but sat on the rights.

But yeah. It's another sign that IDW is barely clinging to existence at this point.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
It still seems strange, if only because, unlike Dreamwave (which had the niche high-fantasy Warlands and the just-getting-started cyberpunk-meets-Avenging-Bride Fate of the Blade as in-house lines when the bill came due), IDW had 30 Days of Night, which was a big multimedia franchise in the latter aughts.

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
From what I gathered about IDW is that they spent far to long chasing license deals and streaming deals, only to find that, it amounted to very little, so they could close their doors tomorow and nothing of real value would of been lost, the direct market of comics in the west has been in terminal decline for years now, the media outlets that try to show that the market is healthy and alive are only showing false data as much of the sales is actually manga not western comics as things just fallen apart, Disney doesn't care about Marvel comics, its only generating chump change for them, same with DC, so IDW collapse is likely to happen sooner or later as they got nothing to keep them going and should they go bust, the only real valuable stuff is the offices and everything in there!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
And we have another round of people being let go, this time mostly from higher level positions.

Supposedly, this means that IDW's entire HR department is now gone. But, I guess when you have almost no employees left, other than independent contractors, you don't really need a big HR department.

They also recently lost the guy who was responsible for their oversized "artist editions" of books. Although, I think that was his own choice.

So, not a great couple of days for IDW.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They probably could function without any of these positions if they had any money. But they don't.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
At this point I just need them to stick around long enough to release the hardcover collection of TMNT up until ots soft reboot.

Top Bottom