Now this is how you spend a warm spring afternoon!

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
A nice breeze, a hot cup of tea, and a sunny back deck... in the path of totality for the solar eclipse. It just began in my lattitude, so I'm steeping some tea and will check once I get a nice cuppa.

Anyone else going to be observing today?

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Still better than niagara falls. The city is overloaded with eclipse viewers, some hotels charging upwards of 1K a night for the privilege.

It's ******* overcast out there. Nothing to see till totality when it gets dark for 3 minutes.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
We're battling clouds here in Northern Ontario, but my family and I are enjoying what we can see!
20240408_145033.jpg

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I just tried to be clever and take a picture through the protective glasses, but it did not work. What kind of setup are you using, nova?

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Luckier than me, I tried with my tablet and only got a white, crescent shaped blob.

But still: it was quite the experience. The temperature was just right so that you could feel the transition between light and dark. The birds, the squirrels, suddenly still and quiet, and the ominous darkness.

Well, see you all in 157 years for the next one!

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
We're right in the path of totality, but it turns out my camera sucks so I'll just have to post my observations in text form. They handed out free eclipse glasses at the library last week, and I kept switching between looking at the eclipse through those and observing my surroundings. The latter of which was much more interesting because the view through the glasses is just a black void with an orange crescent moon shape.

For the longest time it didn't seem to be getting noticeably darker out even though the sun was more blacked out than not. The human eye is more sensitive to differences in light at the low end (which necessitates screens being on a logarithmic scale; #808080 is actually only a quarter as bright as #FFFFFF but it looks half as bright), and of course all the shadows remained sharp. Eventually it started to feel like I was looking through a pair of sunglasses or a tinted window, and my eyes were apparently adjusting to that because the glare off my neighbor's backhoe (you know, the glare from a sun that was four-fifths gone) was uncomfortably bright, as were the emergency lights on his garage.

By the time the sun was a mere sliver, it got genuinely eerie. There was still direct light, but it was dimmer than I'd ever seen it. It felt like a cross between daylight and a bright full moon. I hope someone shot some professional grade time-lapse footage and uploaded it.

When totality hit, I couldn't even see the sun through the glasses, and according to the information I was going off, this was my cue that it's safe to take them off and stare directly at it because all you're getting is the light from the corona. There was an eclipse here back in 1994, but I'm positive it wasn't actually total because I would have remembered something like this. The sky got dark like late sunset, and a star even appeared (my star chart app tells me it was Venus). The weirdest part is that the horizon looked like a sunset all the way around.

And then the whole thing happened in reverse and I only had the patience to stay out for a little while. When I went inside, though, I noticed that even though the shadows were sharp through the windows, the passive light from the sun inside felt more like a cloudy day.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Far less impressive than the 2017 eclipse for me but glad that Canada got to witness this in greater totality.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Yeah, we were able to see both jupiter and venus during totality. Considering it was like quarter after three... an eerie experience. But still awesome.

Packed the glasses back up. Doubt we'll ever get to use them again, but you never know.

Also: everyone take a minute to seethe in jealousy of my brother and his kid: whom watched the eclipse from their hot tub. It was my nephews idea.

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
I'm in Southern Illinois and it was fantastic. In 2017a big gray cloud covered the whole thing. This time I got the full experience.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
20240408_131352.jpg

We weren't in the totality band, and didn't get the glasses, so I settled for a pinhole in a LEGO box. Phone camera didn't like the white sticker background, so I had to adjust, and only took this early pic with my phone, anyway. My wife and I had a lot of fun watching the change in light (and explaining what we were doing to people who didn't believe this worked!) while we ate lunch.

EDIT: A pic from my wife's phone, later in the eclipse:
IMG955079.jpg

Last edited:

Top Bottom