Street Sharks return. JAWSOME!

TriBlurr

Citizen
So yeah. Mattel is releasing a line of Street Sharks figures to celebrate the 30th Anniversary

Updated arm and leg articulation. The rubbery "shark skin" remains. Seems the lineup is:

Wave 1: Ripster, Jab & Slash
Wave 2: Streex, Slammu & Dr. Piranoid

I'm admittedly very tempted. It was such an obvious turtles rip off. But I loved the show as a kid.

Big nostalgia vibes with this.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Was it really that popular? I barely remember even watching it as a kid, I couldn't tell you the plot of any episode from memory.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
No. But it's so aggressively 90s that it makes people nostalgic anyway. I have plenty of memories of 90s toy aisles, but the memories are very fuzzy. I remember what store it was, what I was looking for, and what I got, but most of the aisle is a useless dreamlike blur. Did I see Street Sharks though? Yeah. That is a very clear spot standing out in the blur. It's unforgettable.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I see people harboring nostalgia for it, but I'm pretty sure they skew younger. The ones who were the age at the time that I was around the start of MotU or TMNT.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this offers anything more for info, but if you prefer to consume your content in video form...

spikeriley

Citizen

Embedding this solely for the stop motion animation I cannot find anywhere else on YouTube.

As for was it popular? I dunno. But it had three seasons, and even led to another show named Extreme Dinosaurs.

But this is jawsome news. The Street Sharks was one of those cartoons I saw on the USA Network (back when they had the Action Xtreme Team, and showed children's programming), and now, they are back to do what they do best: they bite, they fight, they stand for everything right.

TriBlurr

Citizen
I was 10 when this came out. Made sure I watched the toon every Saturday morning. Both versions of the theme song are forever burned into my head.

It's not a huge cast of characters either. So they could bang out most of them pretty quick if these sell well.

Ripster
Big Slammu
Jab
Streex/Blades
Rox
Moby Lick
Manta Man
Benz
El Swordo

Dr. Piranoid
Slash
Slobster
Killimari
Repteel
Tentakil
Robo Shark
Clammando
Shrimp Louie

Not sure if they'd do the Dinovengers or just go straight to Extreme Dinosaurs with those designs.

Maybe make thier Father. But he never had an official design for his mutation.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I was primarily a Fox Kids child growing up, so I missed out on stuff like Mighty Max or Street Sharks if they didn't air on the main programming block. I REMEMBER Street Sharks, but don't have any major connections to the franchise. I remember the commercial for the hand puppets, for some reason. Those seem to get a big push.
But I'm just glad to see the 90s start to get their due in the nostalgia space. Maybe Mattel will remember they still own Mighty Max.
Flashback to Sears in 1995 for some looks at the old line:

ALSO!
Tubi TV has the entire (?) series up to watch with ads:

spikeriley

Citizen
I was primarily a Fox Kids child growing up, so I missed out on stuff like Mighty Max or Street Sharks if they didn't air on the main programming block. I REMEMBER Street Sharks, but don't have any major connections to the franchise. I remember the commercial for the hand puppets, for some reason. Those seem to get a big push.
But I'm just glad to see the 90s start to get their due in the nostalgia space. Maybe Mattel will remember they still own Mighty Max.
Flashback to Sears in 1995 for some looks at the old line:

ALSO!
Tubi TV has the entire (?) series up to watch with ads:

A Mighty Max reboot would be cool, but it may be done differently like how Polly Pocket has been done over the years, so the toys do not pose a choking hazard.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why didn't they get Vin Diesel to make the announcement?
Has Vin Diesel ever shown any affinity for Street Sharks since rising to superstardom?

Legit question. It'd be awesome if he was some sort of fan and it was more than just a job for him, and he'd do it for them at a reasonable rate if they just asked.

Otherwise... yeah, there's probably a big bill attached to such an idea.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Has Vin Diesel ever shown any affinity for Street Sharks since rising to superstardom?

Legit question. It'd be awesome if he was some sort of fan and it was more than just a job for him, and he'd do it for them at a reasonable rate if they just asked.

Otherwise... yeah, there's probably a big bill attached to such an idea.
Click the link in the post you quoted. ;)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Click the link in the post you quoted. ;)
I'm familiar with the video, but the question still remains.

I mean, it could have just been another job. Just like how for so many people who made Transformers back in the day, it was just another paycheck, at least until they saw the fandom around it today. You hear it all the time when they do panels at conventions.

So, is he an actual fan? Or was this just a paycheck and a way to get noticed back in '94?

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, but at the same time some actors can get attached to shows, regardless of how minor a connection they might have to them. Like Bryan Cranston; some of his early work was voice stuff for PR, and heck one of the main characters was legit named after him, and they got him to be Zordon in the reboot movie.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, but at the same time some actors can get attached to shows, regardless of how minor a connection they might have to them. Like Bryan Cranston; some of his early work was voice stuff for PR, and heck one of the main characters was legit named after him, and they got him to be Zordon in the reboot movie.
And I'm sure he was paid handsomely for it.

Which raises the question of how handsomely Mattel is willing to pay Vin Diesel for what amounts to a bit?

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Paying VIN Diesel for a promo bit would have probably cost more than what this entire LINE cost to develop

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Paying VIN Diesel for a promo bit would have probably cost more than what this entire LINE cost to develop
Precisely.

With the possible caveat I mentioned, that he might possibly legitimately enjoy it and not have just seen the promo gig before as just another job, then he might be willing to do them a solid. But otherwise?

Precisely what you said.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
oh, I was definitely 80% joking. That other 20% is the slim chance that Vin Diesel WAS actually super into Street Sharks, or was at least in on the joke enough to do the gig for minimum wage just for the fun of it.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ah, fair enough.

FWIW, it's the internet... you just know someone was seriously thinking that same thing. We just don't necessarily know who...

Top Bottom