If Hasbro were to reissue the G1 Citybots as Titan Class figures, would you get one?

Would you G1 city bot reissues at the Titan price point?

• Total voters

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I can't imagine that, if Hasbro decided to back out of a deal with FAO Schwartz because of the lack of health in that company, the "drop test" would be the excuse they'd give us.

Well, yes, its all conjecture on my point, but it doesn't sound too far off. if you are Hasbro, and want to release an exclusive $100+ toy to a store chain, why would you keep going with them? I mean at their peak, they had 40 stores in 2001, but by 2003 when they would have been getting things nailed down, FAO dropped to 23 stores, and then declared bankruptcy in April of 2003 losing another ten stores. And a mere 8 months later all of them would be shut down again due to a second bankruptcy. Hasbro gets a little funny about sending merchandise to Toy stores that are declaring bankruptcy (See TRU and KB Toys). If they say they pulled out due to Toy safety issues, which could even exist but be exaggerated, then no problem. If they say they are pulling out due to FAO going out of business then that might be make them liable for either breach of contract or slander or something.

Like I said, it is all conjecture, but I find it interesting to think about.

Doghouse Reilly

Citizen
Bear with me because this is a personal collecting realization I'm just articulating for the first time, even in my own thoughts.

I was born in '76, so I grew up with Transformers and have had a place in my heart for the brand for its entire life. The G1 characters and settings will always be my jam (or JaAm, if you prefer), but I've got to say I'm pretty much over the original G1 toys themselves. They're lovely for what they are, and when I see well-curated examples of them in beautiful condition, loose or boxed or slabbed or whatever, it does trigger some sweet, nostalgic feelings. But I really don't feel a need to collect or own them anymore when there are modern equivalents that are just all-around better toys. Collecting G1 TFs doesn't feel like collecting toys to me anymore; it's more like collecting museum pieces, and I guess that really doesn't interest me personally. Outside of rescuing some beaten up Throttlebot or Firecon from a flea market or Goodwill, I never see myself buying an actual G1 toy, original or reissue, again.

It kind of crystalized for me when I picked up the G1 Hound recolored reissue when Walmart had it reduced to like $9.99. A G1 Hound is one of the very few US G1 toys that, for whatever reason, I never owned, so it seemed like something I should have. I open it, transform... sorry, convert it, and realize it doesn't even feel like a Hound toy anymore. Like, every other Hound toy I have is more evocative of Hound than the original Hound now, and that's even after a fresh coat of paint doing its best to evoke the animation. Collecting original G1 toys (and reissues) just feels like a different animal now than being a collector of the modern toys, and as someone who has been here since the start, that was an odd realization for me. I'm certain it's a very obvious one to younger collectors, but as someone whose collection has grown organically and contiguously from a child's Christmas and birthday presents to an adult's spending hundreds of dollars in advance on massive crowdfunding projects, it's kind of just snuck up on me.

Anyway, long story short, I guess it's finally time to sell off all those G1 toys sitting in my basement.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Bear with me because this is a personal collecting realization I'm just articulating for the first time, even in my own thoughts.

I was born in '76, so I grew up with Transformers and have had a place in my heart for the brand for its entire life. The G1 characters and settings will always be my jam (or JaAm, if you prefer), but I've got to say I'm pretty much over the original G1 toys themselves. They're lovely for what they are, and when I see well-curated examples of them in beautiful condition, loose or boxed or slabbed or whatever, it does trigger some sweet, nostalgic feelings. But I really don't feel a need to collect or own them anymore when there are modern equivalents that are just all-around better toys. Collecting G1 TFs doesn't feel like collecting toys to me anymore; it's more like collecting museum pieces, and I guess that really doesn't interest me personally. Outside of rescuing some beaten up Throttlebot or Firecon from a flea market or Goodwill, I never see myself buying an actual G1 toy, original or reissue, again.

It kind of crystalized for me when I picked up the G1 Hound recolored reissue when Walmart had it reduced to like $9.99. A G1 Hound is one of the very few US G1 toys that, for whatever reason, I never owned, so it seemed like something I should have. I open it, transform... sorry, convert it, and realize it doesn't even feel like a Hound toy anymore. Like, every other Hound toy I have is more evocative of Hound than the original Hound now, and that's even after a fresh coat of paint doing its best to evoke the animation. Collecting original G1 toys (and reissues) just feels like a different animal now than being a collector of the modern toys, and as someone who has been here since the start, that was an odd realization for me. I'm certain it's a very obvious one to younger collectors, but as someone whose collection has grown organically and contiguously from a child's Christmas and birthday presents to an adult's spending hundreds of dollars in advance on massive crowdfunding projects, it's kind of just snuck up on me.

Anyway, long story short, I guess it's finally time to sell off all those G1 toys sitting in my basement.
FWIW, I'd gladly settle for a new Fort or Brave Max that manages to be at least as good as the original.

That includes -- nay, necessitates the city mode being comparable. And I feel the TR one was very much not.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
^Yep. The alt mode for TR Fort Max (and Metroplex before him) definitely felt like an afterthought. What bugs me the most is that I shouldn't be seeing giant, visible hands in the alt mode of a $150 - $200 figure. Especially when they occupy a prominent spot of the alt mode. Not being able to hide them away was/is extremely frustrating. I would have preferred them to be removable if they couldn't have been worked into the transformation.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Metroplex seemed fine to me other than the hands (his city mode was always just the robot sprawled out), but Max was a half-assed remold and could really use a second attempt as a unique toy.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
UGcBiO2.jpg

I fan-moded a combined city mode for Energon Omega Supreme and TR Fort Max because I never really was a big fan of either of their alt modes on their own.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Metroplex seemed fine to me other than the hands (his city mode was always just the robot sprawled out),

It's been 10 years but I'm still going to bite every time. At least the original squat proportions and sideways knees make the robot thighs less glaringly obvious. And at least the arms attempt to be evocative of buildings. And the head actually tries to hide. Yeah the results are modest but it genuinely accomplishes more than the T30 toy. It doesn't deserve this "Well it was always that bad" reputation. It really wasn't.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Even in as far as the similarities go, T30 Metroplex was a bit TOO sprawled out; sideways knee bends let the original keep at least somewhat condensed in city mode.

With TR Fort Max, it's impossible to separate Cerebros without a mode looking like it's missing something, which kind of kills the point of making him a Head -- er, Titan Master.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
I'd just like to say, as the owner of a 1987 edition Scorponok, that a re-engineered Fasttrack (whether sold as an army-builder drone or a unique character) would be nice.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Yeah, I think that the modern Fasttrack might be a bit on the large side to interact with a vintage Scorponok - especially in city mode. But then again, his weapon mode might be kinda cool for him to hold, so...to each their own, I guess!

Top Bottom