One favorite thing from each era (or line, or year) of Transformers

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not to steal any thunder from tec, who's been doing great with the fun 40-year retrospective threads, but with the few minutes I have to myself this week I'm waxing a little nostalgic. And we can always use a bit more positivity about things (idk about you, but I'd love some), so here goes. Might be nice to have a thread where we each pick one standout thing for each era, or year, or line, of the brand's 40-year history. This can be something you were alive for, like us old farts, or something younger fans backtracked and discovered in more recent years.

This doesn't necessarily need to be super structured, so you can organize your list according to what fits your thoughts better (year, toyline, etc). It might be a good idea to limit it to one pick for each, just to force you to prioritize? But even then, why limit what we can be thankful for?

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Here's mine, by era:

G1 - The movie. I've largely moved away from the toys, the cartoon can be hard to watch much these days, and I never liked the comics. But the movie is still just pure joy. I'm always happy to see it on.

G2 - Megatron Attack!

Beast Era - Megatron in the BW show. He's what made that show so great.

UT - Tidal Wave. I loved his being able to combine with Megatron and his role in the game. I'm really looking forward to the Titan. I have to give an honorable mention to Armada Jetfire. I loved him in the show, and I absolutely adore his toy.

Movies - Arrival to Earth, both the scene and the music. I still get chills every time it plays.

Animated - The threat level of the Decepticons. Having each one of them be a threat that would push the entire team to their limits really raised the stakes. Every appearance of any of the Decepticons became a highlight.

Aligned - I really enjoyed the unified lore. I'm really looking forward to getting a full set of the 13 Primes.

Prime Wars - The focus on combiners. They've always been my favorite type of Transformers. Seeing so many updates to classic combiners, plus several new ones, was just fantastic.

Cyberverse - Hot Rod putting together a mixed Bot/Con team, and eventually working together with Soundwave, was just great. I loved that season.

WfC - I absolutely love the emphasis on robot-mode scale. I always hated the wild scale discrepancies going back to '85. My collection just feels so much more cohesive these days. I've been loving all the figures from WfC forward so much that I'm finally willing to part with many of my older figures that have now been thoroughly replaced.

Legacy - The increased focus on lines past G1. I still focus mostly on G1 since that's the toyline that just hasn't held up nearly as well as anything else. But even though subsequent lines don't need the update as badly, I've been really surprised just how much I've been enjoying all these figures.

Earrhspark - I dunno. I'll get a Paramount+ subscription one of these days, but there's just too much else going on these days to get to it yet.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
G1 - Gah, how to choose one thing. There are a ton of the toys and media that mean a LOT to me but if I had to narrow it down I'd maybe go with the Dinobots. Even as a kid they were something special. I grew up one of those kids obsessed with dinosaurs. Knew all the names, loved trips to museums to see their bones, had a scrapbook where I saved every dinosaur thing I came across. I also loved robots and star wars, fantasy and science fiction stuff. And then at 9 years old along come the Dinobots - who are robots AND dinosaurs and have cool swords and are bad@ss warriors. I think the Dinobots could probably be credited from turning Transformers from "one of the toy lines I liked" into my favorite thing in the world.

Beast Wars - my favorite thing about Beast Wars was the writing in the Cartoon. The toys were great and all but the Cartoon's writing made all the characters classic and the story still one of the best Transformers has had.

Anime Era - I got married a short way into Armada's first season and moved into an apartment with no cable so I'm slightly disconnected from this era though I still collected the toys. The best single toy from this era was Fire Convoy, but I think my favorite thing about the era in general is how much they were toys. All the Armada guys gimmicks mark them as entirely separate beasts from today's mandatorily fuly-poseable main lines. Armada stuff were thick and durable and PACKED with gimmicks and it didn't really matter if parts of them were brick-like because there was so much to play with. I miss that deep kids-toyness to them.

Animated - Derrick Wyatt

Aligned - I loved the attempt to make a unified history and future for the brand. It would have been kinda nice if they'd stuck with it forever honestly and then just kept going forward with shows set each later than the last in that same universe. I get why that only lasted for like two sub-eras "Prime/Rescue Bots" and "RiD/RBAcademy" but it would have been cool to see them keep it up. And after typing all that I realize that while I very much like that, my FAVORITE thing from this Era is just Rescue Bots. It rocks.

Gen Trilogy Eras - There has been a lot of good in the Wars/WFC/Legacy eras and also a lot of things I wish they'd do a bit different (bring back fiction attached to the toy-line on package, in blurbs and bios, cards or pack-ins or comics and just in "concepts"!) but my favorite thing, that these years have done wonderfully well is expand the line to include so much more of the history. We've gotten Obscure characters we would never have imagined before from all sorts of media and places. The modern lines have blown that out of the water. There's literally no one too obscure or from too odd and out there a source to get a main line figure now. And that's awesome.

-ZacWilliam, can't wait to see where we go from here.

Last edited:

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Anime Era - I got married a short way into Armada's first season and moved into an apartment with no cable so I'm slightly disconnected from this era though I still collected the toys.
According to the wiki, I got married right after Armada premiered. I was back home in Michigan for a few days, so I definitely wouldn't have been able to watch it live. There was no On Demand back then, so I'm curious now how I managed to watch it. Probably caught it on a rerun, I'm guessing.

I'd just moved to San Diego two months before. The Armada toyline coming out was one of the highlights of my very brief bachelor period. Paying KB Toys prices to get them was a bit painful though.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Pre-movie G1: The Dinobots

Post-movie G1: The Targetmasters, specifically Blurr

G2: The minibots and Cyberjets tie: G2 minibots were the first versions of those characters I ever owned, while Hooligan holds up as a transforming figure to this day!

Beast Wars: the cartoon

Beast Machines: the Vehicons (though it took me way too long to realize this!)

Machine Wars: the basic spring-loaded figures (and their RobotMasters redecos)

RiD01: Optimus Prime and Scourge tie: First Optimus Prime I ever owned vs a solid toy with a first-rate deco. How can I choose?

Armada: the Minicon play-pattern was pretty inspired, even if it didn't always work right. Spiritual successor to Targetmasters.

Energon: Tow-Line is my favorite bit, but pretty much the whole line of Deluxe-and-smaller figures. Some of the larger ones were...questionable.

Cybertron: Downshift. Love that figure. But this was also the series that gave us Legends of Cybertron, the first size class that made larger figures in a smaller scale, so there's that.

Movie era: okay, it starts to get a bit murky here: Movieverse Blackout and Barricade were great characters, RotF had the superb Basic-class line of figures, and DotM had the 1-2 punch of simpler transformations on Deluxe figures and the beginning of the Cyberverse Legion-class subline, (which was also carried in Prime) and I loved it!

Animated.

CHUG...: We're all pretty fatigued by it now, but the modern updates of G1 favorites was pretty exciting back in the day...

Prime: besides the aforementioned Cyberverse subline, Beast Hunters was pretty cool!

RiD15: Honestly like most if not all of the Decepticons in this series.

CW: Liokaiser and Victorion tie

TR: Targetmaster Blurr (except he's a Headmaster?!?)

PotP: I liked the Pretenders in this, but my favorite is Dinobot Slash!

Cyberverse: Spark Armor Sky-Byte

BB: Shatter

WFC: Battlemasters! (Targetmasters!)

Legacy: Not Just G1! (But through a G1 lens...)

Earthspark: Arcee! Want a deluxe version of this version so bad!

RotB: Beast Targetmasters!

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
This is going to be fiction based since that's primarily what I enjoy about the hobby and the toy collecting (Especially now that I'm loaded up on toys) is more a reflection of that. Especially since they quit doing fiction for Generations.

G1 - I'm not even sure how to answer this. As much as I deride the fandoms over-focus on G1, it's that way for a reason. It's foundational. It's harder to find stuff that doesn't tie to G1 in some way. One of my favorite things about G1 though is that it was a kids cartoon and comic from the 80's, so it was allowed to have fun and do some really wild stuff that nobody had to put thought into and it results in one of my favorite aspects of Transformers: that they're basically space elves. The ark takes a 4 million year nap and when they wake up Cybertron is basically the same as it was 4 million years ago. And the war existed for millions of years before that! There's a phenomena as you get older where time appears to move faster. (I've definitely been noticing it recently. We're nearly two months into 2024 already, what the hell?!?) and adding immortality to that idea makes me often wonder what it'd be like to live at Cybertronian scale, being functionally immortal and basically immune to the ravages of time so long as you stay in good repair. Would you wake up one day (or pop out of a sleep mode or whatever) look at the calendar and go "Damn, where'd the last aeon go?"

G1 (Cartoon) - Iconic voice cast. God damn. Cullen and Welker at the top of their game and good lord that Starscream. RIP Chris Latta.

G1 (Comic) - Being able to exist well past the cartoon meant they got to highlight a bunch of characters who otherwise would have been relegated to obscurity. Nightbeat, Thunderwing and Bludgeon all owe their popularity to this comic lasting long enough for them to show up and then having good stories written about them.

G2 - Jhiaxus. God I love Jhiaxus. I mean, he sucks, but that's just because he's a great villain. Dude who puts on airs of being evolved beyond the Autobot/Decepticon war, until the combined forces of Megatron and Optimus bring him back down to their level where he completely loses it. I miss the galactic despot Jhiaxus, but as long as Megatron is around, like most Decepticon leaders, he gets relegated to mad scientist.

Beast Wars - I feel like sparks were an incredibly important addition. The fact that they basically became the default speaks volumes to how it shaped the franchise. Giving Transformers a soul, but in keeping with their mechanical nature, making it a physical object is fun and offers a lot of interesting storytelling ideas, and when properly utilized can be used to give finality to death that was lacking in the franchise before. Not that it stops anyone from bringing back the dead.

Beast Machines - Coupled with Dreamwave's idea of having some of the gimmick lines from G1 lay the groundwork for the Beast Wars era, I'm endlessly fascinated with the idea of technorganic bodies being the future of the Cybertronian race, as if it was the destiny lying in wait for them after they fulfilled their duty in killing Unicron. Still basically the canonical ending to G1 for me even if the execution wasn't great.

Beast Wars Neo - Big Convoy was fantastic, especially when thrust into the role of mentor for a bunch of rookies, his matrix making him spew out tidbits of wisdom that he found embarrassing to be saying aloud. Just a real "Wolverine is the headmaster now" vibe.

RiD - While the image of Optimus Prime with missile batteries on his shoulders is what really got me back into Transformers as an adult, Sky-Byte is the thing from RiD that has stuck with me the most. I love Sky-Byte.

Dreamwave - As I said, the idea of taking the weird gimmicks from the 80's and turning them into the bridge technology between G1 style bots and the smaller downsized Beast Wars bots was a *chefkiss* idea.

Armada - I love me some micro transformers and making them into a third faction of Transformers was a neat idea.

Energon - Probably the most we'll ever see of two planet sized entities beating the holy hell out of each other.

Cybertron - The colonies! Love the work laid here that paid off in spades later in IDW. A planet obsessed with racing actually makes a lot of sense for a race of beings who can turn into cars.

IDW Phase 1 - Just what a breath of fresh air this was despite being a remix of G1. Dropping the 4 million year nap and changing the war to an active conflict and Earth to just some backwater that happens to become the most important battlefield was great, and Megatron's entrance into the story STILL sticks in my mind to this day. Also the complete lack of a toy tie-in meant pretty much whoever the writers wanted could show up. Nightbeat and Hot Rod effectively being second wave characters is wild.

Bayverse - Barricade was cool, and there's a good chance if these movies hadn't been the successes they were, that the franchise wouldn't be where it is today.

Animated - Just a love letter to the fandom, top to bottom. And the best part is the references and homages never got in the way of the incredibly storytelling or Animated being it's own thing in the end. Just the franchise firing on all cylinders. There's no one element that stands out to me, it's all gravy.

War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron - While the aesthetic isn't something I'd want for everything, it fits the world of a videogame perfectly with these super chonky robots and this giant, expansive Cybertron. Kudos to whoever decided to not put those games on Earth.

Prime - This is probably the best Transformers ever did with the idea that they're supposed to be robots in disguise - the world ain't supposed to know about them and even Megatron wants to keep a low profile. Also probably the best Welker has sounded as Megatron since G1.

IDW Phase 2 - Probably my all-time favorite bit of Transformers fiction. Post-war, RiD going full on political intrigue on a tumultuous Cybertron while MTMTE is doing wacky space adventures was everything I needed, and when Dark Cybertron flipped the script with Autobot Megatron, introducing the colonies and Prime struggling to find his place without a war to fight, the books truly became something special. These books did so much for expanding the fiction around Transformer culture, politics, biology and on and on and on. It all comes together into something truly special It's not just my favorite Transformers comic run, it's one of my favorite science fiction comic runs of all time.

RID '15 - I actually liked the Decepticon designs, though I wish they had some sort of explanation for it. Also credit to Sideswipe for being the first person in history to get tired of Prime's "Grandpa Wartimes" shtick.

Prime Wars Trilogy - Megatron was pretty great in this as an old curmudgeon the heroes have to convince to come out of retirement to aide them.

IDW Phase 3 - More misses than hits, but there was a moment there where it was cool to see all of these properties mashed together. Sadly it went off the rails incredibly fast, though Aileron and Arcee made a cute couple.

Cyberverse - Letting the hot war between the Bots and Cons turn into a cold war with a segregated Cybertron was a cool idea. Also Clobber is a sweetheart and I'm so glad they let her be her own thing and not just a renamed Lugnut.

BB - Shatter is probably the first good live action Transformer villain. Also John Cena asking the question every human should always ask when dealing with Decepticons.

War for Cybertron Trilogy - That part where Deseeus starts cutting off their faces until they reach consensus was legitimately creepy and had they not JUST introduced that character, would have been a major shock moment.

IDW2 - The mentor system is up there with sparks in the pantheon of ideas I hope becomes a common occurrence. Giving Transformers something approaching the idea of family and parenthood without just making it those things (because, obviously, it wouldn't make sense) provides for so many storytelling ideas. It kills me IDW2 only lasted a few short years.

Earthspark - God damn I love the Terrans and I'm going to be sad if they vanish from the franchise after Earthspark.

I probably missed some stuff, but yeah.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My favorite TFs by year:

1984: G1 Optimus Prime. Great toy!
1985: G1 Shockwave. Great play value and good articulation! Honorable mentions Devastator and Omega Supreme.
1986: Predaking. Honrable mentions to Metroplex, Trypticon, and all the scramble city bots.
1987: Computron. Honrable mentions to Sixshot, Fort max, and Scoponok.
1988: Power Master Optimus Prime. Great toy!
1989: Monstructor. Honorable mentions to the Micromaster line.
1990: Action Master Axer.
1993: G2 Megatron.
1994: Sizzle.
1995: Laser Optimus Prime
1996: Optimus Primal.
1997: Airrazor.
1998: TM Terrosaur
1999: TM2 Jawbreaker.
2000: BM Jetstorm
2001: RID Omega Prime
2002: RID Scourge
2003: Aramda Unicron
2004: Energon Scorponok
2005: Cybertron Optimus Prime
2006: 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime
2007: Classics Jetfire
2008: Animated Megatron
2009: Cyclonus with Nightstick
2010: Animated Arcee
2011: Scourge
2012: Bruticus
2013: Metroplex
2014: Arcee
2015: Devastator, with honorable Mentions to the other combiners.
2016: Fort max with honorable Mentions to the entire Deluxe Titans Return line.
2017: Trypticon
2018: Predaking
2019: Omega Supreme
2020: Soundwave
2021: Galvatron
2022: Menasor.
2023: Tarn.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
This is fun! I will try to cobble together some of my personal "high water marks" from over the years:

-G1 - Just Transformers existing in general! They're all pretty incredible, but Prowl and Trailbreaker were my first in '84, so they'll always be special.

-G2 - Tank Megatron and Sideswipe in a black deco. *Chef's kiss*

-BW - Transmetals Ravage. A very cool nod to G1 and a really fun retool of TM Cheetor.

-BM - Tankor, Jetstorm, and Thrust - The triumphant return of vehicles cannot be overstated.

-Car Robots/RID - Super Fire Convoy, JRX, Car bros.

-Armada - Lots of fun/cool stuff but Unicron takes the cake for me. Never saw it coming and was impressed with what we got.

-Cybertron - Sideways, Downshift, and Vector Prime.

-Energon - Scorponok.

-Classics - Optimus Prime, Starscream.

-Masterpiece - Prowl and Sideswipe.

-Live action Movies - Sorry, just not my cuppa. The Last Knight Megatron toy was pretty awesome though.

-Modern Stuff (CHUG/Kingdom/Legacy/Whatever) - This has been going on in different forms post-Classics, so I'll say that UW Devastator, TR Overlord, Generations Arcee, Legacy Devcon, Commander Jetfire, and Titan Omega Supreme take the cake.

-HasLab - Unicron. The toy that I would have - and did - wait an eternity for!

Deathy G1

Citizen
I’ll try my best to remember all of this. Lots of the CHUG stuff blends together for me. I’m limiting this to toys I’ve actually owned at the time of original release. No reissues or vintage purchases.

G1 Pre-Movie: Optimus Prime - How can I not? Runners up are Shockwave and the Constructicon Gift Set.

G1 Movie & After: Rodimus Prime - Hard to ignore the tattoo on my left bicep. Runners up are Powermaster Optimus Prime and Goldbug.

G2: Rapido - The only G2 toy I bought new. I wasn’t really into buying toys at the time, but I found myself curious and grabbed him from Kay Bee.

Beast Wars: Transmetal 2 Megatron - It just looked so damned good. Runners up are Optimal Optimus and the original gorilla Optimus Primal.

Beast Wars Neo: Big Convoy - He's the only Neo I bought at the time of release, but he was oh so cool.

Machine Wars: Starscream - Big and cool. Runners up are Prime, Sandstorm and Soundwave. I can’t really decide here. I just didn’t like the basics.

Beast Machines: Nightviper - There’s never been a better snake transformer, and yes I’ve had Corahda. Runners up are the Tank Drone and Blast Punch Optimus Primal

Dinobots (remember this line?): Striker - Always a stego fan. Runner up is Airraptor.

Mutant Beast Wars (remember this line??): Ice Bird - I just remember liking him. Runner up is Razor Claw.

RID/Car Robots: Spychanger Ultra Magnus - This little guy was so much better than he had any right to be. Runner up is Megabolt Megatron.

Alternators/Binaltech: Binaltech Tracks - I love Corvettes, especially diecast ones, even if they made Tracks yellow. Runner up is Hound.

Armada: Unicron - The only logical choice for an old G1 fan. Runner up is Starscream.

Smallest Transforming Transformers: Hot Rodimus - The original toy downsized to Micro Machine size. Runner up is Soundwave.

Universe 1: King Atlas - I love this mold, and no longer had my MW Starscream (I also no longer have KA either). Runner up is Silverbolt.

Energon: Rodimus - I was so happy for a modern version. Runners up are Galvatron and Starscream.

Robotmasters: Convoy - Nice little basic sized Optimus. Runner up is Reverse Convoy.

Cybertron: Starscream (Voyager class) - just fantastic. Runner up is Galvatron (so shiny).

Classics: Astrotrain - I still think we haven’t had a better Astrotrain than this one. Runner up is Rodimus.

2007 Movie: Barricade - Can’t go wrong with an evil police Mustang. Runner up Concept Camaro Bumblebee.

Animated: Shockwave - A way more effective take on the double spy concept than Punch/Counterpunch ever was. Runner up: Rodimus.

Universe 2.0: Cyclonus - Finally! Runners up: Sunstreaker and Sideswipe - Nice use of a retool.

Revenge of the Fallen: Honestly, I hate most of this line. Bludgeon was pretty good though. Starscream as runner up, I guess.

Generations (prior to Thrilling 30): FOC Shockwave - Fun and whoosh-able. Runner up is Dirge.

Reveal The Shield: Legends Class G1 Megatron - How did this get made? Runner up is Laser Optimus.

Prime: Knockout - Mostly I love it for the character. Runner up is First Edition Bulkhead.

Dark of the Moon: Deluxe Starscream: His figures keep steadily improving. Runner up is Scan Series Ironhide.

Thrilling 30: Metroplex - Finally a new City! Runners up are Orion Pax and Goldfire.

Age of Extinction: Scorn (Deluxe) - Scorn is the best of the Dinobot designs by far. Runner up is Evasion Mode Optimus.

RID 2015: Twinferno (Warrior) - I remember not being able to put him down for a while. Runner up is Warrior Optimus.

The Last Knight: Scorn (Voyager) - Bigger and more accurate = even cooler. Runner up is Deluxe Barricade.

Prime Wars Trilogy: Six Shot - What a fantastic update. Not hampered by the Titanmaster gimmick either. Runner up is Trypticon.

Cyberverse: Slug (Deluxe) - Nice update. Runner up is Deluxe Arcee.

Studio Series (main): AoE Galvatron - How did they pull this off? Runner up is Leader RotB Optimus Primal.

War for Cybertron Trilogy: Cyclonus: Magic was used in the design process. Runners up are Allicon and Buzzworthy Origin Bumblebee.

Studio Series 86: Ultra Magnus - It’s basically an improved cheaper MP. Runner up is Hot Rod.

Earthspark: The only toy I have is Megatron, and mainly for his character. The toy itself is nothing great.

Studio Series Gamer Edition: Starscream - Unpopular opinion, but I love him. Runner up is Optimus Prime.

Legacy (so far): Shrapnel - Perfect. Runners up are Buzzworthy Origin Jazz and Magneous.

Masterpiece: G2 Sideswipe - I can’t believe they made the extra accessories. Runner up is Ironhide.

Generations Selects: Powerdasher Cromar - I can’t believe he exists. G2 Megatron is the runner up.

Reactivate: Optimus Prime - It's just nice. Runner up is Soundwave.

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Revisiting this with some time to think, but I'll try and go slow.

GENERATION 1 (1980s/original run)
This is cheating a bit as it covers so much ground, but I'd be mad to say anything other than the 1986 Movie was the most formative part of original G1 for me. Never got the comic, the cartoon was great; there are some memorable bits of that first couple of seasons. But this was the era of big kid-property franchises making a splash on the big screen. Even the Berenstaeinhoweveryouspellit Bears had a story about a popular kid franchise getting a movie, and the tropes of huge cast, collectibility, and spectacle were definitely part of that.

The 1986 movie was an unabashed Star Wars ripoff, but I was mercifully too young to realize any of that. Not that it would matter. It checked the boxes of the fledgling "cartoon turned feature film" genre at the time, from continuing existing fiction (rather than introducing new audiences to the property by retelling an origin story or intro arc), to being carried out as a standalone rather than as the first if a trilogy or franchise, to going beyond what the show had done (a mainstay female Transformer, a transforming city, a transforming PLANET) to making a splash with a new lineup of characters with new toys to sell.

The Movie gave me characters and designs that would leave an indelible mark on me. Galvatron is such a cool design powered by Nimoy's sinister gravelly voice. Cyclonus doesn't get much to do but damn if he doesn't look awesome. The immense Ultra Magnus, the unique Blurr (a hovercar!), triple changing futuristic vehicle guy Springer, and definitely Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, who made me mentally apply flames to every vehicle I came across for years.

It traumatized me and introduced me to narrative tragedy -- in the slaughter of Autobots on the shuttle, with the lights in Prowl's eyes fading as goddamn smoke belched forth from his lifeless open mouth, but even further when Optimus Prime himself fell. (It also introduced me to the fact that people would eventually reveal that they never grew up or came to understand narrative arcs since that point.)

It gave me a handful of moments that were instantly memorable, with rule of cool in full effect. How does Hot Rod transform? In whatever way seems cool at the moment. The way the SS86 toy captures the torso twist is magic, but I still wonder about seeing the Lookout Mountain three-panel fold in a physical toy (but SS86 does approximate it). Optimus Prime charging into battle with his own theme music. Unicron reformatting Megatron into Galvatron. Optimus turning gray upon dying. Hot Rod becoming Rodimus Prime. All those gorgeous designs with lavish detail in such wildly perfect 80s composition. (to this day I'm still wowed by the basic cel technique they use for the Matrix and other glow effects).

And the music, well. Finally tracking down the soundtrack on CD years after was such a win (old person alert, kids, it really used to be that difficult to get music), turned up another notch by eventually finding MP3s of the rest of the DiCola score. Everyone at home hated me for a bit because I played The Touch and Dare a ton of times -- but c'mon, I hadn't heard them in over a decade, and now I could hear them in full as many times as I wanted. And I wanted many many times.

Funny enough, the one thing I missed out on and never really got to make up for was the toys. We were just not buying much stuff at the time, and certainly not to keep up with media we got late in our country anyway. But once reissues became a thing and international shipping was accessible, I finally got a Hot Rod Rodimus Major of my very own.

In the end I can say nothing G1 from that era has had the impact on me that the movie had. And as such I'm the easiest mark for anything homaging it. I think a not-insignificant part of this is that it was the biggest thing G1 had done; it was a pillar of that era of the brand for sure, remaining a hot topic of discussion and shared enjoyment well into the 90s conventions.

Likewise, the media consumption of the era was a factor: there's a joke that a whole generation of people grew up knowing backwards and forwards the handful of movies their family had on tape because this was all they could watch and rewatch on demand. Of course some families would have iconic classics, mixed in with random other movies -- and decades later we'd be happily surprised to discover we weren't the only ones who had the latter memorized this way.

For me, that meant I saw the Movie a few times on replays on TV and that was it for YEARS. So when I stumbled upon a terrible quality copy at a relative's house one summer (idk how it never occurred to me in the interim to rent a copy) I watched the bejeezus out of it. In that comparatively media-starved landscape, the Movie WAS G1 for me. It was a single sit-down experience, no multiple episodes to sift through, no multiple tapes or copies to track down. And it was gloriously memorable.

Last edited:

Top Bottom