Transformers Legacy toyline

Octavius Prime

UT Enthusiast
Citizen
"place them into a universe of their own"
"multiversal war" and the figure being literally named "Prime Universe Bulkhead"

Why aren't the design direction and the story direction consistent with each other?
My assumption is that the non-G1 characters come from other universes but are made more G1-like in the process. I already had this in my head canon for CW Armada Megatron. Of course the real explanation is that that they simply want to do more G1-looking takes on non-G1 characters. I don't have a problem with this, but for those that do, maybe they could expand what they are doing with reissues

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Given Menasor’s appearance in the cartoon and Motormaster’s whole ass trailer; he is uniquely able to pull something like that off.

You can’t get away with that with the others though.
Yeah, I was really disappointed they didn't show off his limb mode, after they kept hinting at it. I want to see what they're going for here. Are they completely abandoning the Scramble City gimmick to focus on better character-specific engineering and cartoon accuracy? (Completely ignoring the actual Scramble City special, of course.) I mean, they did keep specifically referring to his third mode. Makes sense that they could get better, less generic toys by abandoning the need to have each limb bot be able to form either an arm or leg that's compatible with any torso.

Definitely going to be keeping all my CW combiner sets in any case.

I keep seeing this sentiment, but I never had the original mold. What makes this worse?
Nostalgia.

In all seriousness though, it really looks like the main figure is a great update to the original. The G2 figure's articulation was fantastic for its time. In this day and age, a guy whose signature weapon is a sword, but who doesn't have any wrist articulation, is disappointing. He's also missing other articulation that is pretty standard these days, like a thigh swivel. It would be disappointing if he doesn't have a gun (can't tell if that gun on the base mode is removeable or not), and he loses out on the light-up weapon effect if you care about that (I don't), but he gains more than he loses IMHO.

The place where the original is legitimately better is the trailer. This new one seems fine, and even captures the look of the original better than I was really expecting. But the original is a much bigger base with multiple weapon emplacements that actually launch missiles. There was no way any modern toy was going to match that. So if that trailer/base is important to you, the new figure is going to be a letdown.

Deco-wise, the new one maybe features less-vibrant shades of red and blue (though the actual toy appears brighter than the renders) and lacks the ultra-90s decals, but otherwise is very faithful. The biggest change I see is it adds in the movie Optimus truck nose flames instead of just randomly switching from red to black, which is a change I really like. He does lose paint apps for the horns and lights on the truck roof. The other deco differences are very much a matter of taste, and I'm sure Toyhax will provide a set for those who want them.

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
It would be disappointing if he doesn't have a gun (can't tell if that gun on the base mode is removeable or not),

the description SAYS it comes with a blaster, but one isnt shown. it also says the design was inspired by the g2 animated series so i guess dont trust descriptions?

and lacks the ultra-90s decals

cue reprolabels!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
They said in the video that the tower gun is removable. They just didn't show it off.

Last edited:

Darth_Prime

Citizen
So far, not a fan of this line. But I’ve also never been a fan of Skids. Not sure how I feel about the G1 Bulkhead. Arcee looks decent. Laser Prime looks good, not sure if I’ll buy him though.

Curious to see some of the rumored figures like Armada Starscream. IMO they nailed the figure a couple of years back and no need to repeat it. I’d rather see an Updated Hot Shot, Blurr, Scavenger and Megatron.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I had been operating under the assumption that the "Iguanus" listing was definitely going to be Beast Wars Iguanus for a whole variety of reasons. The original Pretender Iguanus was one of my go-to toys as a kid, so I was totally down for a new version of him, it just didn't seem likely.

Damned if that isn't Pretender Iguanus on the poster, though.
For me I was assuming it would be G1 Iguanus, and holding some hope for it to be BW and who knows maybe they're planing a repaint down the line.

Glitch

Citizen
We'll probably see Needlenose in this line too, I recall a few years ago there was a Hasbro poll featuring Gnaw, Runamuck, Needlenose and Shrapnel, fans chose Runamuck but Gnaws been done for SS86, here's Kickback so expect Shrapnel and Needlenose down the road.

Echowarrior

Citizen
We'll probably see Needlenose in this line too, I recall a few years ago there was a Hasbro poll featuring Gnaw, Runamuck, Needlenose and Shrapnel, fans chose Runamuck but Gnaws been done for SS86, here's Kickback so expect Shrapnel and Needlenose down the road.
Shrapnel seems more likely than Needlenose, though. Hasbro presented Needlenose as an option on fan choice polls for years and he never won. They seemed to take that as a hint that people weren't interested in him as a new toy.

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
Somebody at Hasbro really liked Needlenose. Too bad he was always up against season 1/2 characters and/or fan favorite comics characters while all these years later, the only thing he had going for him was when his helmet looking like Tracks' was a plot point

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Laser Prime looked great when first revealed, like it's neat that trailer seems to capture the vibe of the original even in these rather cut-down times.

But the more I look at it the more I can't unsee Earthrise Op's waist and legs and the accompanying proportions and the less impressive it feels.

Maruten

Citizen
Arcee could defeat them all singlehandedly. At least, she could have back in the good old days when she had no nose.

Top Bottom