Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I don't think the scene from that trailer with Elena saying "This can't be real... This can't be real... (Arcee waves) It's real," is actually in the movie.
I watched Rise of the Beasties for a second time and, you're right! They didn't include that scene in the movie, after the fight.

It wasn't Primal who first appeared. It was the other guy. But, c'mon, anybody watching it for the first time would assume the first one seen was Primal. Easy mistake.

Something I heard the first time but forgot until I heard it again was the kid Chris on the walkietalkie whatever called Mirage as Knuckles. Noah Sonic, Chris Tails and Mirage Knuckles, haha

I figure Noah would call himself Airwave when he comes back, perhaps cuz of his tech skills, in communication (he was, uh, breaking into a cable unit whatever) but it's really just him and Chris saying 'Don't use real names on the airwave' or something. But Airwave's name is Cliff Mewlett, not Noah Diaz.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Just got back (and caught up with the thread).

Easily my second-favourite TF movie. Far too much of the magical cartoon logic that Bay introduced, but even Bumblebee couldn't get away from that, so I guess we're stuck with it until someone does a full franchise reboot.

- What the eff type of Transformer is Mirage in that he can shed excess body mass when injured and go into stasis lock like that WHILE combin with a human!!?
Exactly.

Plus being rebuilt from scraps of an ordinary car, and the whole reformat-on-the-fly thing that Bay introduced and which obliviates the entire point of transforming.

They did my girl Nightbird dirty too. She barely had any personality or speaking time.
So, just like G1! :sneaky:

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I saw RotB yesterday and enjoyed it quite a bit. Of course, I was going into it not expecting too much, and I had a good time. There are a few things that I would like to have seen done / handled better, but for the most part, it did not disappoint. Crucially, too, it featured a lot of screen time for the Transformers themselves, which is what I wanted. They weren't relegated to background characters in their own film, so that is a win for me!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Some have described this movie as feeling like a Saturday morning cartoon, and I know exactly which one it feels like.

The 1992 X-Men cartoon.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I guess that "Saturday morning cartoon" is a good descriptor of the movie, but yeah, I don't quite get the spoiler reference.

In thinking a little more about the movie (which is probably not something that is encouraged!), a few things that stick out to me are:

1). I'm sure that this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I wish that Mirage was just Jazz - plain and simple. Not really sure why they needed to reinvent the wheel with him, but yeah, kind of an unnecessary head-scratcher for me.

2). Why was Airazor not able to be revived - when Bumblebee was - and more importantly, why did no one else in the movie seem to care that she wasn't? Unless I missed something, which is possible, Bumblebee's loss was palpable and he was truly mourned, whereas Airazor got the "oh well, she's dead" treatment.

3). Optimus Prime: dear god, keep the faceplate closed! His non-masked face and weird lips, IMO, did not look good at all. However, I think that they did really well animating the other "faced" Transformers in the movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I could do with some further explanation.
The movie had a large ensemble cast of heroes and villains with each of them getting their own time to shine (some more than others, but no one is forgotten or relegated to just appearing once or twice in the background like in the Bay movies), with the plot driven forward by a whole lotta action scenes that mainly focus the story's emotional core on things the characters are doing in the heat of the moment of crisis, all accompanied by an incredibly 90s soundtrack.

And, well, Optimus was practically Wolverine in this movie, being the most aggressive he's ever been, always growling at his fellow Autobots and having an emotional chip on his shoulder.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
I felt like Cheetor and Rhinox were not fantastically showcased during the movie. They were just there, in the background, barely having any lines. I was hoping for at least a shot in the final battle where Rhinox pulled out two massive chainguns and let loose, but I barely remember seeing him during it.

That's really my only gripe with the movie, which otherwise was top notch.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Rhinox was there; he was the one with the Big Freakin' Hammer knocking Freezers into the distance like Team Rocket.

I feel like the "glorified cameos" are a necessary evil for a franchise that wants to sell toys. At least they were clearly seen on screen, and Hasbro did think to make toys of them this time.

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
I will say this about Rhinox and Cheetor...they were present and clear characters. They weren't like show up and disappear characters like in the Bay films (jolt or Arcee triplets, Sideswipe, etc;). They didn't get much screen time, but they were there and acknowledged.

Lobjob

Citizen
If they are not forgotten they could shine in the next one. What I enjoyed is the transformers that were used got lots of things to do. Airazor may not have transformed, but she was so good. They should have let the energon heal her (who cared if it made sense or not) for the final battle.

Then Primal and Prime could have rejoiced in having their friends back.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
My cynical take on Airrazor is

She died and didn't come back so they didn't have to animate her transforming or being in robot mode.

Also I'm surprised people thought Mirage died. I figured if the exosuit survived, so would he. Granted I didn't expect him to come back as a human-built junker, but I guess there's a reason I don't write these movies.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I hope I didn't say this here already, but I did rather like how the meeting of the Autobots and Maximals kind of had them pair off with their respective counterparts:

Mirage and Cheetor, the kid appeal guys.

Rhinox and Wheeljack, the tech guys.

Optimus and Optimus, the Optimus guys.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Other than Pablo's glasses, there wasn't anything that made him seem technically inclined. Loved that he hung out with Arcee during fights.

Btw, when the Terrorcons arrived, the lights and cars on the bridge were blinking out. Then the museum lost electricity. This is like Blackout using an emp. Which Terrorcon was causing it?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I just want to say how impressed and honoured I feel being part of this website. Almost every other TF site is usually full of potty-mouthed, entitled posters who would think nothing of filling a thread like this with raw spoilers and who would then think nothing of unleashing pure vile at anyone who critiqued it.

Kudos to you all.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
My cynical take on Airrazor is

She died and didn't come back so they didn't have to animate her transforming or being in robot mode.

Also I'm surprised people thought Mirage died. I figured if the exosuit survived, so would he. Granted I didn't expect him to come back as a human-built junker, but I guess there's a reason I don't write these movies.

That's probably not far off. I think that they missed an opportunity to have an epic, "phoenix rising from the ashes" style comeback for her. She could have still stayed in bird mode, given Bumblebee a ride into battle, and flown around burning enemies like a fire-breathing dragon. Oh well.

Lobjob

Citizen
Also giving her a wonderful fire inspired colorscheme. Even if she didn't transform that would be cool. Oh, and SS contaminated Airazor will definitely exist at some point. Also gimme Apelinq.

Cybersnark

Citizen
Y'know, switching some things around and adding/changing a character, this would've been a great opportunity to introduce Tigerhawk.

Like, replace Cheetor (who didn't have much to do) with Tigatron, give some of Primal's lines to him (the ones about allying with the humans and Earth being their home --Primal can keep his plot exposition scenes about the Key and all they've lost to get here), and let him have the tragic fight with Airrazor, resulting in both their deaths. Then the energon-infusion hits, and their merged bodies are revived as a new being.

Top Bottom