Studio Series discussion

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
(Copy and paste of my reply at the Legacy thread)

SS86 Magnus would have to be really good to get me to consider switching out my upgraded CW Magnus. About the only thing I'm missing is ankle tilt, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay the Commander class price to get it.

I also worry that if it stays true to SS86 ideals, the inner robot would be omitted altogether, and I would very much miss the extra play value of it.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
(Copy and paste of my reply at the Legacy thread)

SS86 Magnus would have to be really good to get me to consider switching out my upgraded CW Magnus. About the only thing I'm missing is ankle tilt, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay the Commander class price to get it.

I also worry that if it stays true to SS86 ideals, the inner robot would be omitted altogether, and I would very much miss the extra play value of it.

Take a look at the figure online first, if need be, see some reviews prior to jumping the gun!

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
I really wish Studio Series' first Commander was more exciting. The size class devolving into nothing but bots with trailers is pretty dull itself, but then they go with a character that's just had two different figures in a few short years.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
It used to be that if you didn't preorder within ten minutes of the announcement you never saw what you were looking for, but aside from things like HasLabs where the preorder is literally the only window, things have generally been a lot better lately (not counting Cosmos...). For financial reasons I'm not ordering much of anything right now, but I'm a lot less concerned about missing something, too. I'd like to see reviews of things too, especially nowadays in the world of questionable QC.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
One of the big reveals in the latest batch of listings was a Studio Series Commander class Ultra Magnus.

In my gut, I feel like they’ll end up going for the “Masterpiece-lite” by omitting the cab robot and opening up the trailer for car storage, along with making him a little bigger with more than average articulation, akin to what happened to Starscream when he got retooled for the Coronation release. Probably including provisions to allow for him to store a Matrix in his chest, and maybe a slider for his “shades” style of eyes.

But between Kingdom and possibly even SG for me…I’m not sure I have any pressing need for another redo of the same traditional Ultra Magnus design. Much less at the Commander price point.

If they can't manage to make a slightly more articulated figure that can both combine and store cars like the G1 version, I'll stick with my OSKO Siege version.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
If they can't manage to make a slightly more articulated figure that can both combine and store cars like the G1 version, I'll stick with my OSKO Siege version.

In other words, you want hands similar to Jetfire & Star Saber and also look like a car transporter that can have cars ride inside of the trailer as the G1, RID 2001 & CW verison, while also being able to do the poses other figures can do with the inner robot still being able to convert into a cab section for the trailer, am I correct? If so, Hasbro & Takara have their work cut out for them, hope they don't mess it up

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
NewAge nailed it. I know, they operate at way more budget per inch, but the interesting thing is that there is actually nothing complicated about how their armor works. Something like that could easily work with a much simpler inner robot.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I absolutely love both Rodimii for what they bring to the table! I couldn't see me parting with either. I've always been a huge sucker for super modes.

One thing I do hope with this SS86 Magnus is that it leads to a new PMOP down the road. I'll be more than happy to move along my TR copy if it's done right.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I"ve got POTP and the Shattered Glass version too. Although I am happy with the SG recolour, the regular version is an awfully designed figure that I am desperate to finally get rid of. I also hope a better official Primal Prime gets released so I can be rid of my POTP version too.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
POTP Rodimus is unrefined brilliance. I want another attempt at that concept.
I’d just be happy to see a new release (same with Optimus, for that matter) that just omitted the damn stickers. I’d gladly pay up to $70 or so to get that toy without the worry of stickers falling off, or get a few extra paint apps.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
POTP Rodimus is unrefined brilliance. I want another attempt at that concept.

Its not that great of a figure, the gimmick really hinders the figure, Primal & OP use the evolution gimmick better and they don't involve parts forming, I'm not one against that gimmick, its just that you can't really do anything with Rodimus's parts outside of a trailer, Primal, you can have basic robot mode and monkey mode, Optimus, you can use the trailer in a base mode without taking anything off it, so, POTP Rodimus, is not really that great of a figure if you ask me.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
20210716_091535_HDR.jpg
You just have to use your imagination 🙂

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That looks fine to me. It certainly offers more shielding than what the original trailer had.

There was really no template for how to turn Rodimus' trailer into armor, unless you count the old Fansproject set, which set aside most of the trailer as a weapon. Hasbro wanted to turn the entirety of the trailer into armor, in as few pieces as possible. I think they did okay.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
While unlikely, the POTP Rodimus, combining gimmick and all, would be great given a 'Golden Lagoon' style treatment and sold as Primus. All forms would be perfect for such a thing. The trouble is people are scared of gold and chrome (myself included) but the Golden Lagoon things I got are still solid and non-flaky. A similar approach would probably be very interesting if intelligently handled. Any lack of scaling to other figures could be dismissed as Primus being Primus.

Top Bottom