Wednesday (And Family)

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I've watched 4 episodes so far. I don't really like who they have for Gomez. The original show and Raul Julia were both tall and thin...and looked nothing like this guy. But so far everything else is just spot on perfect.

It's not really comedy, though there are funny bits in it. It's more of a mystery suspense. But it's still got that dark, twisted Addams Family vibe I just absolutely love.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Although I have to admit I do prefer the somewhat darkly suave, handsome version of Gomez (who's still goofy) popularized by the two 90s films, the history of the character does allow for either interpretation, as shown above. As far as Wednesday goes, I think they did a stellar job casting Wednesday herself. Christina Ricci's performance is a hard thing to follow, but Jenna Ortega was really marvelous in the role. Her line delivery was perfect.

Taking the Addams Family and surrounding them with others like themselves, though... I'm not sure that's where I'd have gone with it, personally. The humour of them stems from their being pretty much alone in a world populated by normies, the point of their stories often being that normal people are, in fact, the weird ones, not the Addamses.

It's a cute enough show, very well produced. But it feels a lot like an episode of Sabrina or Riverdale... or pretty much any contemporary oddball teen drama show.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I finished the show and I rather liked it well enough. I didn't like the first fatality tho. That was an interesting character.

I would have liked Thing's stump to be like the movie, being more concave. The bulge part is off putting to me. Same with the stitches. Poor TV Thing.

I sorta need an Addams Family baseline of invincibility. Cuz they joke about enjoying pain and torture but there should be a set level of their cartoonish invulnerability.

It confused me at how worried I should be about Wednesday's safety. Cuz I don't know what injuries she could bounce back from or not. I was slightly shocked when she got a cut that bled near the start.

Shadewing

Citizen
I've watched 4 episodes so far. I don't really like who they have for Gomez. The original show and Raul Julia were both tall and thin...and looked nothing like this guy. But so far everything else is just spot on perfect.

It's not really comedy, though there are funny bits in it. It's more of a mystery suspense. But it's still got that dark, twisted Addams Family vibe I just absolutely love.

Have you seen the original comic and media aside from those two?
Morticia & Gomez

I too have my issues with Gomez in this series, and its not completely based on his looks. As I do realize its an attempt to look the original artwork. My issue is that he doesn't FEEL like Gomez. He comes off too wishy-washy. I've watched the entire series and I don't see any of his natural charisma or bravado that ALL other Gomez's have, regardless of their looks. He feels completely neutered so that Wednesday and Mortica can shine. I also have the same feelings about Pugsly, though with him there is a bit more precedence to the weaker characterization.

Taking the Addams Family and surrounding them with others like themselves, though... I'm not sure that's where I'd have gone with it, personally. The humour of them stems from their being pretty much alone in a world populated by normies, the point of their stories often being that normal people are, in fact, the weird ones, not the Addamses.

I feel that the idea works, because we STILL get that. As the series goes on, we see how honestly normal the 'creepy' Kids and school is. But they are still hated by the nearby town, and the town has a history of being the bigger monsters. Including the fact that most the antagonists in the series are just... normies. It might not be as strong as in other versions; but the idea and concept that 'The weird ones are more normal then people give credit for' is still there. I feel because it mostly remains thematic to the series; that is is a better take then Sabrina; because while the series imo starts off really try-hard; it settles to a point where it's not all grimdark and drama. That's what Wednesday wants it to be, because that's just who the character is; but its still largely about a cast of creepy outcasts in a normal world.

We're just now seeing what happens when Wednesday has peers. I like the idea, because it does give something new to the formula, without imo, completely rewriting it; since you can't really do too much of a darker take on the Addams Family; which was already completely surrounded by the dark and maccabre. The whole 'super natural murder mystery' gets away from the series being more comedic, but it works in context here, since its not taking a fun happy character in normal world and making them dark and overly dramatic. We have a Dark character in more or less their normal world dealing with something a bit darker then usual and they're just fascinated by it, because of course they are.

However; Its weird that to me this series at its base concept is... MLP:FIM. Secluded girl that is happy being secluded and doing things her way, is thrust into a new environment by her guardians and forced to make friends to deal with prophesized threat. It's lead me to refer to the series as "Addams Family: Friendship is Tragic."

Caldwin

Citizen
Have you seen the original comic and media aside from those two?
Morticia & Gomez

I mean, I have seen them, briefly. But I'm more used to (and was introduced by) Raul Julia. So it's like, yeah, I know those other versions exist, but they're not what I think of when I think of Gomez.

I should be able to finish up the season today. I'm about to start episode 6 after I have breakfast.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I really liked it. I thought it was very good overall.
Like others, though, I do have my issues with the depiction of Gomez. I have no problem with Louis Guzman, but his depiction was very low energy. I like Gomez to be much more manic, much more overly enthusiastic. Guzman's is a great deal more subdued and I don't care for that. I am hopeful that in season 2 he lets himself go a bit more.

Caldwin

Citizen
E395B1E8-91FB-4A0E-A508-E6E087E7A571.jpeg

This felt appropriate for the season.

Caldwin

Citizen
9615673F-8512-4BA4-8D6A-20DA1AABBD1C.jpeg

Wednesday: Hey, mom? Can I have some string? I need to get rid of this darn tooth.

Morticia: Oh dear! Is it hurting you terribly?

Wednesday: Not yet.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I enjoyed the show. Wasn't perfect, but definitely entertaining.

Surprised that this show had the most viewing hours for an English language series on Netflix so far (or something like that).

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I read it the was second most viewed in English. Probably after Stranger Things. Beat out Dahmer.

I bet Squid Game had the most viewed, in a different language.

Caldwin

Citizen
AA6A6513-F33B-4A70-9DA2-45620759D16A.jpeg

Got this last night. Two hit points, no extra lives or continues, if you die you go all the way back to the beginning. Well, I may not be playing this too much.

Top Bottom