The Super Mario Bros. Movie

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's...huh. I forgot about that. So while Sega has its own quirks and specific bits of old canon they strike from the records, they're more willing to acknowledge older material. Peach is not Princess Toadstool but Dr. Ivo Robotnik is the birth name and Dr. Eggman is the nickname. I wonder if part of it is that Mario isn't supposed to have a continuity but Sonic explicitly does (even though it's fluid). Also, Nintendo closely guards its IP while Sega is more openly willing to let others play in the sandbox, for better or worse.

Well, Super Mario 64 has her sign off her letter as "Princess Toadstool, Peach", which is generally taken to mean her full name/title is "Princess Peach Toadstool."

That Nintendo has never changed it in any re-release, nor even in the DS remake, suggests they're okay with this.

Incidentally, SEGA's been a lot stricter (and stranger) about things in recent years, especially when it comes to Shadow, it seems.

I think with Mario Odyssey one could maybe make the claim their originally from 'New Donk City' and ended up in the Mushroom Kingdom later. Its sorta a compromise between the 'New Yorkers isakai'd to another world' plot of the 90's and Nintendo's current stance of 'They were always resisdents of this world'

Yeah, between DK'94, Donkey Kong Land's Big Ape City, and New Donk City, I think Nintendo's trying to make it more that Mario comes from a New York-like place, rather than from New York.

Kinda funny, given where their store is located.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yeah, between DK'94, Donkey Kong Land's Big Ape City, and New Donk City, I think Nintendo's trying to make it more that Mario comes from a New York-like place, rather than from New York.

Kinda funny, given where their store is located.

I'm kinda waiting for the fiction that makes them the same place. Like 'Big Ape City' is the nickname of New Donk City, in the vein of New York being 'The Big Apple'

Blot

Citizen
If you go back to the original Super Mario Bros. NES manual, all of the bricks and power-ups are transformed Mushroom Kingdom citizens. Mario's been massacring his way through civilians for decades. What's a little cannibalism on top of it?
That's something people misread from the manual. It later goes on to say that only the blocks that give you power ups are the transformed citizens-- the power ups being their way of thanking you for finding them.
2h6SvFv.png

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
A thought crossed my mind about Chris Pratt's Mario voice. Based on what little of it we hear in the trailer, this voice would have been perfect for Luigi.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
While we're waiting on more info on the new Mario movie, anybody curious about the fascinating behind-the-scenes history of the old Mario movie?

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Did a big article about it in the... third, I think? ...issue of Nintendo Force, too.

Shadewing

Citizen
Good to know there film will include nothing but a 30 minute still shot of Peach's thrown room.

Miyamoto: I wanted to cast people with a wide vocal range to capture the characters. *casts Chris Pratt as Mario*

Like seriously, he's still just sounds so ******* bored in this role, while everyone else is nailing it.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Took a while but Illumination put up the trailer by itself, without the Nintendo Direct parts with Miyamoto, Anya Taylor-Joy, and Seth Rogen:

Shadewing

Citizen
Honestly, his voice would have been perfect for Luigi.

No. Luigi's VA is already doing a damn good job. Its only Pratt who has this 'I'm only here for the paycheck' voice. Boswer and Luigi is the best scene of this trailer, becuase they both capture their characters so well. Then you got the Peach scenes that have her and the toads being awesome and Mario has all the range of plywood.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean, I was in for the watch when I saw the first trailer, and this didn't change my mind. Kinda makes it seem like the movie will be... crowded and rushed just to fit in the references and game IPs... but still going to watch it.

Shadewing

Citizen
Based off the two trailers, I think I've a vague idea for how things happen.

Bowser starts making his play for world domination, and Peach tries to summon a mythical hero (based on Bowser's comment of how a human with a mustache and letter cap will get in his way). Mario and Luigi get isekai'd into the mushroom kingdom but split up somehow. Luigi finding E-Gadd and Bowser, and Mario finding Toad. Toad leads Mario to Mushroom Kingdom. Mario is touted as the hero becuase he fits the description. Skeptism leads to a test vs the Kingom's strongest Warrior. Mario gets creamed. Peach decides she needs to teach Mario how to be a hero, having faith in the mythical hero when everyone else is doubting him. blah blah blah Mario gains confidence and proves himself, gathers the Mushroom Kingdom version of the Avengers, goes to fight Bowser.

Though I do admit this might be a better animated series then a movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Based off the two trailers, I think I've a vague idea for how things happen.

Bowser starts making his play for world domination, and Peach tries to summon a mythical hero (based on Bowser's comment of how a human with a mustache and letter cap will get in his way). Mario and Luigi get isekai'd into the mushroom kingdom but split up somehow. Luigi finding E-Gadd and Bowser, and Mario finding Toad. Toad leads Mario to Mushroom Kingdom. Mario is touted as the hero becuase he fits the description. Skeptism leads to a test vs the Kingom's strongest Warrior. Mario gets creamed. Peach decides she needs to teach Mario how to be a hero, having faith in the mythical hero when everyone else is doubting him. blah blah blah Mario gains confidence and proves himself, gathers the Mushroom Kingdom version of the Avengers, goes to fight Bowser.
So, in other words, it's The Lego Movie.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Watching that Japanese trailer, Mario's Japanese VA sounds like he's at least genuinely trying to channel the spirit of Charles Martinet's Mario voice, even if he's not trying to match the sound of it.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Chris' voice doesn't bother me that much. Sure, he could emote more, but I'm still hearing emotion in his voice. Reserving judgement until I see the movie. Also like that Peach's VA in English and Japanese sounds tough/not so cutesy.

Most likely not gonna happen, but hoping Bowsette is at least referenced at some point.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I'm genuinely wondering if they poached some animators from Disney for this, specifically ones who had worked on Wreck-It Ralph, because the facial animation on that Toad saying "Look at us, we're adorable" is giving me some serious Vanellope vibes. Illumination has a pretty distinct house style, and I'm not seeing any of it here.

Top Bottom