Andor - streaming on Disney+

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
If nothing else, that ending stinger REALLY helps recontextualize the entire prison arc. Seems a LOT of people were left wondering about the whole work prison thing to begin with, but the end products’ use DOES explain much of it:
If you are building a major project in secret, you want as few people as possible to be even tangentially aware of its existence. The Empire COULD have built a full manufacturing facility with droid stations…but that would mean having people build the facility. People to install and program the droids. People to maintain the droids. Imperial assets to protect the facility. Documentation of the existence of the plant and record of its input and output. That’s tens of thousands of people to build, operate, and protect a plant that has a paper trail.

But in Andor? It’s a prison, designed to be secure and keep people in. The design lends itself to requiring a relatively small number of staff to operate. As a labor facility, the average intelligence of the workers are likely to be low enough not to be able to grasp what they are building (and are kept working enough so as not to think about it). Coming from a prison labor camp, the paper trail is easier to “fudge” to keep its product(s) a secret. The labor force is basically expendable, either dying by “natural causes” or though some other means of their choosing for the paperwork. The workers can’t communicate to the outside, and the “flexible” sentencing means they never have to let anyone go, just work them to death. If a fuss is raised? Wipe out the floor. And the Empire’s increasingly restrictive laws and lackadaisical legal system ensures a steady supply of bodies to keep the process running.

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
As a labor facility, the average intelligence of the workers are likely to be low enough not to be able to grasp what they are building (and are kept working enough so as not to think about it). Coming from a prison labor camp, the paper trail is easier to “fudge” to keep its product(s) a secret.

I assumed they were working on Death Star parts because there were absolutely no aliens in the camp. The Empire would never let an alien work on their masterpiece weapon of war. Remember they're not only fascists, they're racists... or speciesist? Xenophobic?

Axaday

Citizen
I hate subtitles. Even when it is a made up language, my brain would rather listen to the gibberish than read the subtitles and it is hard to do both.

So I missed how Cassian got the Quadjumper from those aliens on Narkina 5. I know they had an idea to run and grab it, but then they talked to the guys and it seems kind of implausible that they could then run over there and get in and get it started without interference. Did they make some kind of deal?

Cybersnark

Citizen
I hate subtitles. Even when it is a made up language, my brain would rather listen to the gibberish than read the subtitles and it is hard to do both.

So I missed how Cassian got the Quadjumper from those aliens on Narkina 5. I know they had an idea to run and grab it, but then they talked to the guys and it seems kind of implausible that they could then run over there and get in and get it started without interference. Did they make some kind of deal?
The fisherfolk hated the Empire because the prison/factory had poisoned the water (leaving the locals to starve). They (well, the one who spoke sorta-Basic) mused about turning the prisoners in for the reward, then decided "hug the Empire" and let them go once he found out where they were headed.

I actually kinda assumed the aliens left with them, honestly. It'd be cramped, but (based on the cutaway) you could squeeze four people in there easily, assuming it's a short trip.

wentwood

Citizen
I'm currently finishing Bad Batch I on DVD with 11 more. I have yet to see Boba Fett.

Obi Wan made me feel like they filled some gaps in on the Skywalker saga.

Mandalorian looked like they were leading up to Episode VII.

Hopefully Andor will build another bridge.

Axaday

Citizen
Does the Death Star need to be so big all for the sake of the weapon? Or was it meant to be a super secure mobile headquarters with a vast array of multiuse?

I saw a recent thing that pointed out how lucky it was, when the thing is many many miles wide, that Leia's cell and the tractor beam switch were so close to the docking bay. But that COULD be because only a small area around the docking bay is inhabitable, right?

Judging only by the orientation of the docking bay when they went in and out, it seems like the Death Star is a spherical building with a bottom and top rather than a small moon with a surface and gravity coming from the core.

That's all for now!

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
Wookiepedia said the size of the DS is a result of how big the superlaser needed to be. Most of it was empty space with a thin inhabitable "crust."

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So I gotta say as well as this went showing Star Wars in a more serious tone, I'm very mixed about it. In all reality there's so much juggled that feels unneeded. Like the whole thing about Cassian looking for his sister, there's a lot more than could have been ejected and not come back to later. I really don't care for following the obsessive guy with mommy issues. The prison episodes feel a bit like padding out the episode count out to me. I found them interesting but it really doesn't feel like this was going to push Cassian further towards rebellion than he already was. It just felt like an excuse for him to not be there for his mother and the others.

And the cadence of two episodes of build up before an action heavy episode for the majority of the season felt so slow.

But odd the things I did enjoy, All the Mon Mothma scenes. I'm actually into the political intrigue more than the nitty gritty stuff with Cassian. And seeing the ISB at work a bit. I'd be more into it if we had an Isard as acting director, but I do like seeing the Imperial Security at work. And yes that does lead into the prison episodes with Cassian, but nothing is all good. I enjoyed the intrigue with Luthen playing in the larger world of everyone. But the scene with Saw felt like a padding insert for cameos sake somewhat. If there was more than one interaction I would say it would of been good, but even with it being a good scene with Saw, it just felt like more padding during those prison episodes.

But as much as I don't care for the prison episodes, damn Andy Serkis needs an Emmy for his performance.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm the opposite. I'm actually not about the political stuff with Mothma and the other guy. Gimme all four arcs, the blackmarket deals, the heist, the prison escape and the manhunt.

Dake

Citizen
Does the Death Star need to be so big all for the sake of the weapon? Or was it meant to be a super secure mobile headquarters with a vast array of multiuse?

I saw a recent thing that pointed out how lucky it was, when the thing is many many miles wide, that Leia's cell and the tractor beam switch were so close to the docking bay. But that COULD be because only a small area around the docking bay is inhabitable, right?

Judging only by the orientation of the docking bay when they went in and out, it seems like the Death Star is a spherical building with a bottom and top rather than a small moon with a surface and gravity coming from the core.

That's all for now!

It's very much a top-to-bottom construction. They have gravitational technology in the SW universe, and it's safe to assume that tech is used to orient it a certain way (and to overcome it's natural, inward gravitational force).
Wookiepedia said the size of the DS is a result of how big the superlaser needed to be. Most of it was empty space with a thin inhabitable "crust."

I got a look at the plans once and that isn't how they looked.

Yeah - that "crust" thing must be a change that came from some new media somewhere. All the cross-sections we've seen over the years point to a densely packed construction built around the giant weapon components.

QPMxjzh.jpeg

Cybersnark

Citizen
Note that the only place where North/South is up/down is the equatorial trench where the big hangars are (and possibly the main reactor core, though it's hard to tell as we're seeing it from the perspective of ships with their own internal gravity). When we see the surface during the battles of Yavin & Endor, it's oriented like a planet's surface, with "up" being the sky, debris falling toward the "ground," and clearly-defined "buildings."

wentwood

Citizen
I just ordered Star Wars - Andor on DVD. I saw week 1 on Disney + and it looked good so I got it for my DVD library. I hope Andor is another bridge builder like Kenobi and Mandalorian were. It'll be interesting to see it tie in with the movies.

I need to get The Book Of Bobba Fett next so I can fill in my Star Wars library. Andor keeps things up to date on DVD.

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
I just ordered Star Wars - Andor on DVD. I saw week 1 on Disney + and it looked good so I got it for my DVD library. I hope Andor is another bridge builder like Kenobi and Mandalorian were. It'll be interesting to see it tie in with the movies.

I need to get The Book Of Bobba Fett next so I can fill in my Star Wars library. Andor keeps things up to date on DVD.
Andor is the best thing to come out of Star Wars in probably about 40 years. That's my own opinion, and there isn't much of Star Wars I don't like (Resistance is the one exception). It's premiere storytelling and ties into Rogue One (or at least will once finished).

Dake

Citizen

Where are you buying these bootlegs from (how's the quality)?

wentwood

Citizen
No these are actual DVDs. Region 1. I got them on E Bay. I just ordered The Book Of Boba Fett. Also Andor.

Currently I'm finishing Dino Fury and Cobra Kai will be back for the last series on Netflix. So I'm watching Disney + shows on DVD while I have Netflix active so I don't fall behind.

The DVD quality is like all stream shows released on DVD. The studio releases them.

Sometimes the quality is weak due to a lousy connection. If you watch off wi fi pretty smooth actually. So I watch stream shows on DVD if I can.

Top Bottom