HasLab Deathsaurus

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Frankly, at this point, the only way I could see Victory, just Victory, ever getting dubbed in English is if it were given the same treatment that Car Robots got when it was dubbed as Robots in Disguise. Present it as a standalone reboot, with Star Saber renamed "Optimus Prime", Deathsaurus renamed "Megatron", God Ginrai renamed "Sentinel Prime" (he's Star Saber's immediate predecessor, so he'd get the name of Optimus's immediate predecessor), and everyone else renamed with either name-slapped existing names or wholly new names. All specific references to Masterforce would be rewritten and reworked to be more vague and generalized, all instances of characters giving each other the finger would be cut out, and when Wheeljack and Perceptor show up they'd each have new voices and personalities that sound nothing like those of Chris Latta's Wheeljack and Paul Eiding's Perceptor, respectively, to make both stand apart from the originals.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
It would be an interesting concept. It wouldn’t be super hard to do. But I don’t know if the juice is worth the squeeze. And as much as I love the show, imagine if we got an Armada dub quality?

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I could definitely get behind a better subbed copy. And I certainly get the idea that any release of the JG1 series is going to be limited interest. However, a fan can dream...
I would love to see Masterforce and Victory Frankenstein'd together and dubbed into something more Hasbro-ey. The crazier the better.

I was going to say, I think any version of this needs to have at least some Headmasters to bridge the change from the G1 S3-4 cast....

...But then I remembered that Masterforce is kind of a soft reboot. Transformers are not really a known entity on Masterforce earth. So it would be possible to combine Masterforce and Victory without being beholden to any G1 or Headmasters. Transformers Anime-style.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Mashing Headmasters, Masterforce & Victory sounds neat but the reailty is that all three have slightly different animation styles and it be hard to believe they are the same series, but in reailty, I seriously doult Hasbro would bother to dub them over, well, at least Headmasters as its a direct contuination of G1, they might decide to use Masterforce & Victory as a filler line of sorts, given the smaller scale casts, but how offen do we see the actual shows from yester year get bought back to mainstream TV in a big way, not offen I bet and it would be a slippery slope for them because then they'll have fans asking for offical dubs of the anime Beast Wars series (2 & Neo) besides, these things cost money and I doult Hasbro would want to spend serious amounts of money on a show that not got a toyline running along side it!

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
The fun thing about subtitles is that you can put multiple ones on the disc, so you could have your americanized version and your japanese accurate version.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The fun thing about subtitles is that you can put multiple ones on the disc, so you could have your americanized version and your japanese accurate version.
That's what Karyuudo Fansubs did for most of their subtitled Transformers releases.

Though, unlike Shout! Factory, Karyuudo's Americanized subtitle tracks didn't rewrite any dialogue to say anything different from what the Japanese dialogue says.

Blot

Citizen
I honestly don't think it'd be worth the money it'd cost to do dubs of these shows tbh.

Like yeah you can say 'It'd make them more accessible' but let's be honest, the actual market for the JG1 anime is already hella small.

(Honestly I'd just be fine with a rerelease of the JG1 aseries with better subs that don't randomly do shit like translate 'Ninja Staff Officer' as 'Phase Sixer' or refer to Chokon Power as 'Energon Power' or call the Breastforce 'Chestforce' I can deal with using the American names for the characters shared between the US and Japanese continuities [even tho I prefer the subtitles to actually reflect the names used myself] but that other nonsense is just dumb and defeats the point of subtitles)
Pfft, who knows what a ninja is? Now "Phase Sixer", that's a term everyone can understand at a glance and is totally timeless.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
"It's...Gendou...?"
*Deathsaurus enters the room...*

-I saw this as part of Eva: ReDeath at an anime con years ago, while I have no idea what meme is appropriate here, this should be good enough...

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Mashing Headmasters, Masterforce & Victory sounds neat but the reailty is that all three have slightly different animation styles and it be hard to believe they are the same series, but in reailty, I seriously doult Hasbro would bother to dub them over, well, at least Headmasters as its a direct contuination of G1, they might decide to use Masterforce & Victory as a filler line of sorts, given the smaller scale casts, but how offen do we see the actual shows from yester year get bought back to mainstream TV in a big way, not offen I bet and it would be a slippery slope for them because then they'll have fans asking for offical dubs of the anime Beast Wars series (2 & Neo) besides, these things cost money and I doult Hasbro would want to spend serious amounts of money on a show that not got a toyline running along side it!
Hasbro is not going to spend the resources to use 30+ year old cartoons as a foundation for their current initiatives. I still remember Gundam's momentum going off the rails when Bandai, in their infinite wisdom, thought a dub of 1979's original series was a valid next step after the success of Wing.
Even then, as you can see with Headmasters, there are some significant cultural discrepancies at play in how Transformers is done, even to this day.

Headmasters is a "safe choice", until you remember most of the G1 cast have aged out or died. Plus, most are LA-based, which means they cost a good bit more than Canadian or New York dubbing options. Masterforce is just WAY too odd to play as Transformers series here to begin with.

I HAVE been a fan of "selective episode dubs", especially for stuff like the HasLabs Victory Saber and Deathsaurus. Instead of the full series, select a handful of episodes (introduction and key event episodes) and dub those as a marketing support for the HasLabs. Especially at the moment with the Victory Saber shipping, Deathsaurus's HasLab, the release of Galaxy Shuttle, and the probable plan for a Dinoking (and Power of the Primes Battletrap combiner seems like a solid prototype for the Landcross members).
It would also work as part of a "Tales of the Transformers Legacy" where Hasbro could highlight legacy episodes (or maybe even create a few shorter episodes) to explain some of the more obscure characters in the Generations line.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Headmasters is a "safe choice", until you remember most of the G1 cast have aged out or died. Plus, most are LA-based, which means they cost a good bit more than Canadian or New York dubbing options. Masterforce is just WAY too odd to play as Transformers series here to begin with.
Not to mention that those still among the living are very much not anime voice actors. The few among them who have dubbed any anime have only done so either in very small capacity (like dubs of Studio Ghibli movies) or as part of the original Voltron cartoon, which had dub voice acting that was laughably horrendous.

The only real exception to this is Michael McConnohie, who has since become an anime voice actor. But even then, neither Tracks nor Cosmos had any speaking parts in The Headmasters.

Lobjob

Citizen
I'd love to see what a bunch of writers could come up with by either reworking or reeditting the japanese series' together for a new audience. I'll sign off on that idea. Like, it would be one hell of an undertaking, but throw it on a streaming service and see what happens. New and old material. Transformers season 5+. I'm there.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
We can't even get good voice actors for their prestige Netflix show, do you really think we'd get anything worth a damn for a redub of a 30 year old anime with no toyline to promote?

Lobjob

Citizen
Realistically no but we can dream. Also, generations could just double as a line for these things. I mean, we know how often we get figures for designs that are thirty plus years old.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
The biggest problem with this imo is that Headmasters isn't very good. And I mean that in both an animation and in a writing and pacing sense. Could you write and edit the slow moving plot, drawn out pacing, and bland characters of Headmasters to fix those flaws? Maybe with a lot of work, but it'd be a ton of work and you'd still be left with slightly sub-par 1987 tv animation.

ZacWilliam, Masterforce is a better show in every way and it's still not good enough for Hasbro to sink money into adapting it and I love Masterforce...

Top Bottom