Mental Health and Suicide

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
And dad is finally home. We've still got a fair number of questions, mostly about the instructions not having key details (like the sutures come out on friday: and we don't know if we go there, they come here, we go somewhere else... yeah.)

But he's home, so at least there's that.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Got to hear the names of the some of the meds dad is on: the whole lot sound like long lost cybertronian colonies.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He's taken a turn for the worse. We don't know why. I am trying to talk him into going back to the hospital.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'm a bit late to the party, so I hope this has already been resolved. But absolutely, get him to the hospital. You just don't want to eff around with cancer.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I finally got him into the hospital today. I don't know what's going on. Test results so far are both happily and frustratingly boring. I'm not seeing much that I didn't already know. He's malnourished from not eating but I don't know why he hasn't been eating. Nothing so far screams "OMG cancer is back all over the place."

wonko the sane?

Citizen
He's just come off aggressive treatment: his appetite is going to be kinda fucked up. If you have to: feed him three times a day just to set the routine. It should sort itself out as long as he's getting some exercise.

The tests are boring: THAT'S A GOOD THING! You're still beating this.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Nothing got done today. I'm hoping the hospital's lack of urgency is due to a, well, lack of urgency. It is very different from the way they acted last year. Last year they were scrambling, doing tests and retests trying to find the result they expected.

But they really should take the day off your bill if they don't do anything.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Back in a hospital. It's not good.

But it is a different hospital at least. That other one is fired. This new one seems better so far. I just hope they can do something.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
He is (very.) slowly getting better... despite still acting like he was just cut open yesterday. He's basically hobbling his health for the rest of his life because he's sulking over the fact he had to have surgery.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He is still in the hospital, but he is alive and not on life support.

He went downhill very suddenly. I was up all night Wednesday. By 5 in the morning Thursday I was trying to talk him into going to the hospital. He refused, seemed feisty, and around 8 he enjoyed breakfast. By 9 he was being hauled away on a stretcher, responsive but completely incoherent. Away he went. A few minutes later I got a phone call asking if they had permission to put him on life support if it came to that. I saw him Thursday night and they had him coherent again. I did not get to speak to a doctor, and neither did he all day as far as he could remember, though he doesn't remember much.

He's been adamant about not going back to the hospital because he's been feeling very close to the edge, and he had a feeling that if he went back he wouldn't come home again. Yesterday morning when the paramedics lifted him out of his seat he looked right at me. There was hardly anybody home. He was completely delirious and couldn't tell what was happening anymore, but I could tell he remembered that he didn't want to go. That still hurts.

I visited all day today. Yesterday morning his blood sugar was dangerously low. Critically low. This hospital has never seen it so low in someone who wasn't already in a coma. He's a freak. They have it stabilized now, and they want him off insulin. It was hurting more than it was helping, if it even was helping. He's conscious and grumpy and wants to go home, but they're keeping him for observation. So I'll be visiting all day every day like last time.

This is his third stay in this hospital and every time all they've had to do to fix his symptoms is fix something the first hospital did.

The root of it all is that the first hospital never though he'd live this long. They refused to tell him how long he'd live, and when they told him to make a followup appointment and he asked if that meant he'd at least live that long they clammed up like they'd been caught in a lie. They thought he was already done for. So they didn't care if their treatments were right for him, or if the treatments would cause problems down the road. They didn't think it would matter. They just wanted to ease his pain so he could die comfortably in a few days or whatever.

That's why he's been so reluctant to go back to a hospital. Any hospital. He doesn't want to be sent off to die. That's why he looked at me the way he did yesterday morning when the paramedics started carrying him away. He couldn't remember why he was afraid of that moment but he knew that he was.

Top Bottom