Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection - Transformers: Legacy subline at Walmart

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I'd kinda forgotten about Sideburn, but I wonder if Arcee, Bulkhead, and Knockout haven't made them gunshy about making a character that doesn't look like the original toy.
You might be right, but Sideburn in a Hot Rod body type is already an established G1 version for the character (as opposed to the Legacy Prime characters, who didn't really have a G1 appearance yet). Granted, I don't know if or how much Hasbro is concerned with ideas that came from the TFCC (though they've run wild with Shattered Glass, it seems), but I feel like Sideburn was one of their more successful adaptations of a non-G1 character in a G1 aesthetic.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
In before someone goes "Well, akshuwally, Car Robots Speedbreaker was always a G1/BW character in Japan." :rolleyes:

Though, the reason the Classics Rodimus redeco as Side Burn worked in the first place was because of the exposed engine he had on his chest like Side Burn's original toy. Looking over Hot Rod's toy history, that toy and the Titans Return Deluxe are the only Hot Rod toys that have that feature.

The SS86 mold would just be Hot Rod wearing Side Burn's colors, like how Super Side Burn is just Side Burn wearing Hot Rod's toy colors.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Valid points, although they could side-step the last one by calling it Super Hot Rod, thus closing the redeco circle...

But, I can't see a better way to release a new Sideburn: licensed vehicles don't happen outside of Crossover figures, and Sideburn's very shellformery design simply doesn't happen with modern transformers. Unless someone at Hasbro/TakaraTomy is VERY committed to producing a new Sideburn figure, with engineering that emulates the robot mode without the shellformer aspect, it would be hard to stay faithful to the original without simply reissueing it. So that leaves a "close enough" redeco; Hot Rod is the established body form, maybe one of the Stunticons might work with some faux parts remolded? Granted, there's no reason to think anyone among the powers that be wants to do a new Sideburn, since this only came up as a possible Hot Rod redeco, but I would like to see more of the RiD01 cast get new figures...
...of course, I'd really like them to be in Core class, but that's any entirely other discussion. What do you think, sirs?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Valid points, although they could side-step the last one by calling it Super Hot Rod, thus closing the redeco circle...
Hehe:

Unitedtoy-RodimuseHobby.jpg

Glitch

Citizen
Munka Spanka would be a good addition to this line. AKA Jazz.
Also this Dragstrip could signify a Decepticon range including G2 Nightracer and Armada Wheeljack.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Yeah, but we could always use a G2 Universe Jazz
Sure, but the excuse given by Mark Maher about the door number on SS86 Jazz being 14 instead of 4 was so that customizers could have the option of using the 1 in 14 to turn him into G2 Jazz.

Last edited:

Shadewing

Citizen
Sure, but the excuse given by Mark Maher about the door number on SS86 Jazz being 14 instead of 4 was so that customizers could have the option of using the 1 in 14 to turn him into G2 Jazz.

Have you seen G2 Jazz? He's not just G1 Jazz with a different number. He's still a white car, but his racing decals are all music based. Considering we get things like Buzzworthy Terrorsaur who is just Golden Disk Terrorsaur with some purple paint, I don't think there is much reason they could do him.

And baring that, they could go the oddball route and give us:

LaserCycleJazz.jpg

MrBlud

Citizen
I feel like combining Actionmaster and G2 Jazz would be the best of both worlds as far as setting him apart from the regular G1 Jazz goes.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I am most certainly part of team magenta, but when you put Studio Series Roddy next to any other figure that is definitely red...imo, he's pretty magenta. I always want MORE magenta, mind you, but still.

View attachment 9376

This is the deco we need. And honestly, maybe this should be the Rodimus repaint?

Maybe for Generations Selects?

Echowarrior

Citizen
Have you seen G2 Jazz? He's not just G1 Jazz with a different number. He's still a white car, but his racing decals are all music based. Considering we get things like Buzzworthy Terrorsaur who is just Golden Disk Terrorsaur with some purple paint, I don't think there is much reason they could do him.

And baring that, they could go the oddball route and give us:

LaserCycleJazz.jpg

Well, that would be another easy reuse of the Legacy Arcee mold.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I am most certainly part of team magenta, but when you put Studio Series Roddy next to any other figure that is definitely red...imo, he's pretty magenta. I always want MORE magenta, mind you, but still.

View attachment 9376

This is the deco we need. And honestly, maybe this should be the Rodimus repaint?
I will buy and and all of them anyway, but yes, this is up there.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In before someone goes "Well, akshuwally, Car Robots Speedbreaker was always a G1/BW character in Japan." :rolleyes:
I had to do a double take when I saw who posted this, because you're usually the one who chimes in with continuity stuff like that.

That said, Side Burn blue is not a deco I want to see on this mold AHEAD of the others (I'd like at least one or two of the black redecos and a magenta, first) but it would look really nice. The Classics redeco was quite a pleasant surprise.

Top Bottom