Timey Wimey Business- a thread for Doctor Who

electricidad

Citizen
Which means they should be announcing the new Doctor sooner than later.

I'm cautiously optimistic! There is the potential here for some fantastic storytelling.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I do think the BBC are desperate because under the current Showrunner, the ratings have fallen off a cliff and the writing has been god awful on top of poor preformances by the actors, I gave Jode's era a shot and frankly, I was bored by the Kablamman ep and stopped watching, then I heard the promise of changes for the next season, so I tried with Spyfall and found NOTHING had actually changed, they only bought in the Master who was just plain lame and didn't really seem to have a plan, Missy was a much better character and had a much better actor playing the character, sure the Moffet era had its ups and downs but at least he was trying to entertain people, the current era, feels like it was written for those who put something on in the background and not really care, sort of, day time TV or boring soap operas that are on just before the start of what was "prime time" TV! With Davis return, hopefully there will be some quailty writing once more along with visuals and music but with the BBC and Hollywood going all in on this divserty and inclusion BS, I worry that he will be strong armed into doing just that, despite his previous sucess, so the BBC faces a uphill battle if they want to get the show back to its previous heights, if he can't turn their fortunes around for the show, they might as well put it on hidus once more, its not like it has been "MUST SEE" TV any more!

Telly

Sack of monkeys in my pocket
Citizen
Maybe theyll keep her around for one more go to see what a competent writer can do

Maruten

Citizen
Thought this must be a joke when I first saw it. How bizarre.

I don't have anything against RTD really, we owe him a lot. But as neo-Who goes, he gave me my least favourite era and my least favourite Doctors so other than novelty and a pleasing recognition of prior service, I don't personally see anything terribly appealing here.

Oh well! Who should we get for the role?

Judi Dench
Tony Head
Olivia Coleman
Charles Dance
Greg Davies
Bob Mortimer
Tom Hardy
David Mitchell
Thandiwe Newton
Lena Headey
Liam Cunningham
Anyone else from... Masters of the Universe
James McAvoy
Peppa Pig

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
I've tried being fair and unbiased with modern Who, but Chibnall's run has been an absolute certifiable disasterpiece I'm glad to be done with. Just a damn shame our first female Doctor was burdened by a showrunner who clearly had absolutely no idea of what to do with what he was given.

I'm also hopeful this means the Timeless Child nonsense will be quietly and quickly forgotten about. Gallifrey's back, no explaination given, but they straight up refuse to let the Doctor land there any more because "Whenever you're around we get shunted into pocket dimensions or all turned into Cybermen and thank you but no thank you. Good day sir and/or ma'am."

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Maybe theyll keep her around for one more go to see what a competent writer can do

Not happening, after the "specials" she is leaving so that would wipe the slate clean for Davis to try and salvage this mess, if he can, because its plainly obvious that the series has nosed dived hard under Chibnall and people are abandoning the BBC because they no longer reflect the British public and have leaned to far to one side of the isle, besides, the BBC license fee is more viewed as a tax at times and its been going up and up and currently stands far higher than the cost of most streaming serivces!

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
So there is one thing about this news that is genuinely bothering me the more I think about it.

Jodie is leaving the series after the three specials that are going to air next year, I get that. It's the end of her run as the Doctor and of Chibnall's run as showrunner.

But based on the announcement, the first thing that will be happening under RTD's second run as showrunner is the 60th anniversary special.

But like, does that mean the 60th will also be the Fourteenth Doctor's first full adventure? That honestly seems like a bad idea since no one in the audience will have any attachment to that incarnation of the character yet.

The only real alternative I could see is if they do something like having the Thirteenth Doctor regenerate partway through her final special and then the rest of the special is the Fourteenth Doctor. But that scenario feels like it'd be insulting to both the character of the Thirteenth Doctor and Jodie herself because it'd be like 'Yeah it's the finale to the run of the first female incarnation of the main character of the literal longest running science-fiction TV series. Oh and also said female incarnation is only actually in the special for the first half.'

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
So there is one thing about this news that is genuinely bothering me the more I think about it.

Jodie is leaving the series after the three specials that are going to air next year, I get that. It's the end of her run as the Doctor and of Chibnall's run as showrunner.

But based on the announcement, the first thing that will be happening under RTD's second run as showrunner is the 60th anniversary special.

But like, does that mean the 60th will also be the Fourteenth Doctor's first full adventure? That honestly seems like a bad idea since no one in the audience will have any attachment to that incarnation of the character yet.

The only real alternative I could see is if they do something like having the Thirteenth Doctor regenerate partway through her final special and then the rest of the special is the Fourteenth Doctor. But that scenario feels like it'd be insulting to both the character of the Thirteenth Doctor and Jodie herself because it'd be like 'Yeah it's the finale to the run of the first female incarnation of the main character of the literal longest running science-fiction TV series. Oh and also said female incarnation is only actually in the special for the first half.'

It have to be a BANGER of a 60th to get people to tune in, but then again, it could be that they will have a series going into production next year under Davis and ready to air in early 2023 if the ratings haven't fallen so far that nobody tunes in for the specials, then again, it could be that the second could be Jode's last and the third special starts off with her regeneration, but we can only specluate at this point and wait for "offical news" to come out in regards to the show!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Actually, I could see them doing something with the post-regeneration amnesia the character sometimes has. Something about trying to remember who they are, while revisiting a bunch of old companions or familiar enemies or even have a couple of past Doctors pop up in their mindscape or something. All the while learning who THEY are, and what their personality will be like right now, in the process. It can work. The trickiest bit would be doing it without turning it into a complete clipshow.

I'll admit, I'm surprised by RTD returning, but...that's probably good news. If Chibnall doesn't address the big continuity questions in these specials, I think we can trust RTD to figure...something out.

Top Bottom