Transformers Legacy toyline

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Armada is my favorite show after G1, only because I grew up on G1 then Armada brought me back into the fold years later. Yeah, the dub is bad, but it has a good overall story. I never read the comic for Armada so I missed out on that. As for the deaths, Smokescreen and Starscream had the most memorable. Thurst's was funny and well deserved so I think very few felt bad for him.

Energon started off really strong and interesting. I still remember when that first episode was done and I went RUNNING to my computer to come on here and let The Allspark know my feelings on the show, I remember a lot of us being really excited by it. I think the gentle inclusion of the Armada folks made it an easy transition. Then....yeah. Then...Cybertron. yikes. At least with G1 when older characters were brought back they were in their original form and colors and accents.....looking at you Jetfire....

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Somehow cracked the pin housing on one of the grey shoulder tabs on menasor so now it not only barely holds on to the piece, but you can't get the leverage to transform it anymore.

I'd return it but I don't want to deal with the hassel of mailing it back.

EDIT: The cracked half fell off, but it gave me room to manuever the piece into it's proper place so I can transform him now. It's not 100% stable, but it's surprisingly not as flimsy as I'd expect.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Armada does so much right. Everyone talks about The Unicron Battles but it starts getting better way before that.

Energon starts off so interesting that it retroactively makes Armada better. I have reboot fatigue at this point. It's hard to get attached to a new generation knowing the reset button is coming as soon as they win. Armada is more interesting knowing their struggles did build a future, and we get to see it. And then we get the threat of Megatron rebuilding his army and tearing it all back apart, and the dilemma of ex-Decepticons wondering whether to rejoin the old gang or stick with whatever place they've managed to find in a post-war world. God on paper the premise is so good. What happened?

Somehow cracked the pin housing on one of the grey shoulder tabs on menasor so now it not only barely holds on to the piece, but you can't get the leverage to transform it anymore.

I'd return it but I don't want to deal with the hassel of mailing it back.

This is unfortunately common. It seems like they got the pin sizing wrong.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Then....yeah. Then...Cybertron. yikes. At least with G1 when older characters were brought back they were in their original form and colors and accents.....looking at you Jetfire....
It's funny you mention that since I recently came across a short Japanese DVD promo for Galaxy Force released ahead of the series's premiere in Japan that seems to clarify some things about its relationship to the previous two series.

First, this promo attempts to bridge the gap between Superlink and Galaxy Force by explicitly using footage (some of which looks completely new and original, rather than recycled existing footage) from both Superlink and Legends of the Microns to represent the past history of Galaxy Force's universe, with narration from Galaxy Convoy talking about how peace has finally been achieved after so much fierce fighting in battles, only for a new crisis to arise with the appearance of the black hole.

Second, Galaxy Convoy refers to himself in this promo as the "new" Supreme Commander, the Autobots' "new" leader, as if to say that, while keeping in mind the idea of Galaxy Force being the same universe as LOTM and Superlink, Galaxy Convoy is still not the same person as the Convoy/Grand Convoy from those first two series, but rather his successor. This would also lend credence to notion of Exillion, Dreadrock, Guardshell, and First Aid also all being separate individuals from Hot Rod/Hot Shot, Jetfire/Skyfire, Landmine, and Ratchet (I'm using all the Japanese names here since I am specifically talking about the original Japanese versions of these shows, not their English dubs).

However, the promo also talks about Master Megatron. Namely, it describes him as having "returned from Hell", specifically using the word "Jigoku" or Hell in reference to the place in Japanese mythology where evil people go when they die. At the end of Superlink, Galvatron did die when he plunged himself into the energon sun, and this Galaxy Force promo treats Master Megatron as the very same Emperor of Destruction having returned from the dead. Likewise, Starscream is implied by a second Galaxy Force promo to have also "returned from Hell" like Master Megatron, which also matches up with Nightscream dying with Galvatron in Superlink.

In the end, with all of this information taken into account, it would seem that Galaxy Force was indeed always set in the same world as Legends of the Microns and Superlink after all, with Master Megatron and Galvatron having returned from the dead, BUT with the caveat of all of the familiar-looking Autobots actually being all-new characters, explaining why some of them behave so differently. And because they were all new characters, Hasbro's attempts to make them be those same familiar people in the English version caused quite a mess of things, especially with all of them (minus Optimus) having their voice actors recast.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
IIRC that was one of the biggest disconnects between Japan and America was is Cybertron a continuation or is it it’s own thing, which then explains why Jetfire gets a new accent.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
IIRC that was one of the biggest disconnects between Japan and America was is Cybertron a continuation or is it it’s own thing, which then explains why Jetfire gets a new accent.
Yeah, the Cybertron dub at times felt like it was shooting itself in the foot. It added in a bunch of continuity references to help strengthen its ties to Armada and Energon, while at the same time it also recast everybody except Optimus, Megatron, and Starscream, making everyone who was supposed to be the same character as before sound nothing like they did before, and at times even rewrote things to make even less sense with Armada and Energon, de-strengthening the connections that Hasbro was explicit about the dub needing to make.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, reading over the last few pages, two thoughts:

1) I really wish we'd see some of these newer Optimus Primal toys released with Universe color schemes.

2) I'd have liked Armada Megatron killing G1 Galvatron a LOT more if doing so turned him into Armada Galvatron.

Alexcoene

Citizen
So wait, Megatron's rivalry during the Galaxy Force show is with some guy he never met before? And the entire cast from Energon just vanished? Their home planet is being swallowed up by a black hole, it's not like they could go on a vacation.

I feel like that explanation just bring far, far more questions than answer.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So wait, Megatron's rivalry during the Galaxy Force show is with some guy he never met before?
They meet in the very first episode. Their rivalry is established right then and there. And being a Supreme Commander, Galaxy Convoy would have known of Megatron by reputation.

And the entire cast from Energon just vanished? Their home planet is being swallowed up by a black hole, it's not like they could go on a vacation.
How's that any different from the dub? Inferno, Ironhide, the first Wing Saber, Omega Supreme, Rodimus, Prowl, Bulkhead, Cliffjumper, Downshift, all the Omnicons, Superion Maximus, Snow Cat, and Demolishor are all still absent no matter how you slice it. At least Fun Pub wrote additional stories for the dub to account for a majority of these characters' absences from the cartoon.

Heck, you could even question Energon about most of the Armada cast's absence. Where was Red Alert during Energon before his sudden unexplained reappearance in Cybertron? What about Blurr, Scavenger, Side Swipe, Hoist, and Wheeljack? Scavenger was at least accounted for by a Fun Pub Cybertron story, but the rest were all never seen or heard from again. Why did none of them ever help out during the many crises that occurred throughout Energon? Energon/Superlink is no less guilty of this than Cybertron/Galaxy Force.

Shadewing

Citizen
I always liked Armada Laserbeak tbh. But yeah, I'd love if we could get a battlemaster version. Maybe since the next phase of Legacy is gonna have an Armada focus, least from what I understand, maybe we will see someone packed with Laserbeak like how Pointblank has his targetmaster.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They have to do Armada Laserbeak for 5mm hands at some point. The idea is too obvious.

But then again the idea should have been just as obvious during Armada when they could have made a Minicon, but they didn't.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Not knocking retro-style Targetmasters (seriously, Hasbro, an accessory pack of Pointblank's Targetmaster in all colors of the rainbow would be a welcome thing for me...),
but the level of articulation for a deluxe accessory would not do Laserbeak justice. I think a Core release would allow for the parts count to get the wings and head articulated enough to replicate the original's transformations.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I’m honestly shocked there isn’t a selects / mall exclusive of G1 accurate ish targetmasters being released.

I mean, yes, agreed, but I would hope they don't limit themselves to the G1 red/grey/blue/black color palette. There are all colors of Transformers that should get matching Targetmaster partners. I'm actually good with the articulation of the G1 versions (vs modern Battlemasters), if it means more color variety.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Obviously Legacy has a lot of areas available to them, but I’m honestly surprised RID / Car Robots isn’t getting talked about more. Scourge was an obvious repaint. I would love to see an updated Landfill or car bros.

Top Bottom