Transformers Legacy toyline

unluckiness

Hello everynyan!
Citizen
If i had to guess, the dragon neck and tail are on a rotating assembly of some kind inside the torso to get them where they need to go for either mode, with the torso clamshelling open to manipulate it. The dragon pecs/dragon arms swap places inside the torso between dragon and robot mode respectively since you can see the robot pecs behind the dragon chest.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I have the original. I don't mind weird, but I hope this one's a little easier to transform. I rarely transformed him before as a result.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
Blanker eh? Should've just went full Headmasters.

Crankcase, can't say I care about him, unless I ever want to do a Scavengers team.

Dead End, yup that looks like Dead End.

Skullgrin looks a bit weird, like he's wearing bits of his pretender shell on top of his robot mode? But I kinda dig it, a second head would do wonders though. I wonder why they made him deluxe, I thought Iguanus next to my Prime Masters was going to bug me.

Here we go, Transmetal 2 Megatron! Uh... From Prime universe? Seriously Hasbro? Anyway he looks tall and imposing on the slide photo. His face does look off, but remember it turned grey when he got that form it was no longer the grape purple, or is there something else I'm not seeing? I wish it wasn't the usual sneering/growl face.

Alpha Trion/Orion Pax two pack, looks good I've wanted Trion from Scourge for a long time but I don't know if I want that for $66.

SeeveeRay

I'll get better someday, hopefully.
Citizen
Alpha Trion and Orion Pax are great.

I'm very pleased with Crankcase, Skullgrin, Dead End, and Blanker.

Transmetal II Megatron well exceeds my expectations and it's fantastic. But... What's with his teeth in robot mode? I watched Beast Wars not too long ago. I don't remember Megatron's teeth looking like that as a TM2. I'm pretty sure his teeth looked the same across all his BW forms. Do I remember it wrong? It's not a huge deal to me, but I would understand if others were disappointed because of that.

I ordered Override and Blurr quickly. Got tempted into Road Rocket despite having Arcee. But I missed Cosmos. Curse my sleeping in. :-/

The Phazer

Citizen
Megatron looks... okay? He just seems to be lacking in presence a bit, and the dragon has a very awkward transition from it's shoulders to it's neck. But otherwise it seems fine. It helps that the original toy is really not very good, trapped between a dozen half finished gimmicks as it was.

Pointblank worries me. The legs are very hollow, they've just completely screwed up his waist and the boxy chest section suggests his alt mode is going to be as much of a mess as Override's. Pointblank has by far the best design of the Autobot targetmasters and it's a shame to see such a halfassed effort.

I really do despair at showing off a non-entity like Crankcase without his guns, surely the only interesting thing about Crankcase. But as far as a Skids retool goes it looks fine?

I am also a bit worried that I cannot see any clear sections for Dead End's windows. Apart from that he's serviceable, but the toes etc don't look brilliant.

Skullgrin... just what are they trying to do here? They said that this is the format for Pretenders from now on, but you literally did Iguanus differently in the previous wave and... this direction isn't very good? The OG Pretenders are generally pretty wretched robot designs, and keeping 85% of that and then grafting on a bad monster head just makes him look like someone wearing a bulky cosplay outfit. He has none of the imposingness of the pretender shell, but also can't function as an inner robot. It just doesn't work. And the alt mode might be even worse and lower effort than the G1 toy, and that's saying something. The Pretenders are hard to do well, but this isn't it.

I'm really worried about the drift with Legacy in general. Everything feels like the cost cutting has become too significant for the line to be sustainable in doing what it's trying to do, and it's just a disinterested coast of stuff that you shrug at and think "well, I guess it could be worse" but none of it is good.

On a slightly more positive note, the Trion/Orion two pack looks pretty great. Just enough remolding to really sell what they're going for, and we've needed a decent Alpha Trion for decades.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Skullgrin .... I wonder why they made him deluxe, I thought Iguanus next to my Prime Masters was going to bug me.

You mentioning it is the first time that I actually realized that Skullgrin IS a deluxe, not core. I still like the design, but now I wish Iguanus had been a deluxe. It does always bother me when "team members" are the wrong scale in regards to each other.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The Alpha Trion/Orion pack is a get for me.

Blanker too, although I wonder what kind of "captive battle master" shenanigans we'll have to put up with this time to get Peacemaker.

Skullgrin is a likely pass, at least for now. The execution on this is not as good as with Iguanus; more of the shell would have been better for both modes (a non-boxy bone-spike laden tank would be great).

Dragonmegs looks pretty solid, but I agree that he lacks a bit of oomph. Still, well executed overall. If they make a Cryotek, I'm likely to get that instead of the red.

Crankcase I'm kind of baffled by, especially the execution on that chest. Might get, but after the others.

electricidad

Citizen
I'm in for Pointblank and Dead End. I'm used to buying the occasional Nonnef upgrade, and I imagine one will be coming eventually for Pointblank. (Also, "Blanker"? Did they lose the rights to "Autobot Pointblank"? The name "Blanker" makes him sound like he's the Autobot who's always swearing.)

Crankcase is pretty likely, too. I've always liked the Scavengers.

Megatron and Inferno, I'm holding off judgment until I see them in store. About 75-80 percent sure I'll snap 'em up.

Same for Skullgrin. . .I actually kind of like this robot mode. Holding off any hate until I see an alt-mode.

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
I always thought original TM2 Megs was pretty rad
my main problems with it were
1. dragon neck is a bit unwieldy
2. the show model had a more organic design which made the toy even more inaccurate than just having a typical beast wars scowling toy head(which this still has but even more so?)

and having seen Skullgrin's alt mode
oof, that's just a rectangle with a turret, isn't it? shame cause I really like the robot mode myself

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I think it's amusing that we went from the huge pelvis of G1 Pointblank to....whatever that is on Legacy Blanker. Other than that, it seems like a solid update, and having had the original as a kid, I'm definitely in for the new one.

That Skullgrin alt-mode, though....yikes.

Plus the whole "robot mode" only reveal at the presentation itself...Hasbro's just asking for the leakers to eat their lunch, aren't they?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hmm...yeah, that is a disappointing hover tank. I'm still a big fan of the robot mode, but I think that they somehow managed to make his altmode a DOWNGRADE from the original pretender inner robot. Not an easy task!

Future_Erika

singularly focused
Citizen
it's the front legs that really ruin it
just sticking out there barely transformed
Legacy-Skullgrin.png

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
it's the front legs that really ruin it
just sticking out there barely transformed
View attachment 7833

Agreed. The original was the classic "robot folds in half and stick on accessories" pretender transformation, but the end result was actually a fairly interesting looking sci-fi combat vehicle::

r_skullgrin-115.jpg

I feel like just some additional molded tank-looking bits on the side of the legs would have helped this new one. It wouldn't have detracted from the robot mode any and would have helped the alt mode not just look like a pair of tucked-up legs.

Shadewing

Citizen
I feel like the reason his front is like that, with the toes just pointing out, is to try an mimic the front of the G1 vehicle, but it just doesn't work. Skullgrin was one of the better looking guys, despite his simple transformation.

Top Bottom