Thor: Love and Thunder

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
Adds a wrinkle to something that has confused me. Are regular Asgardians totally mortal? I had assumed that they were all freakishly strong and long-lived with advanced technology that seems magical. Until Ragnarok that seemed to be all Thor was, but he's gotten a lot stronger and the whole lightning thing and I didn't rethink it all, but it doesn't seem like the people in New Asgard are anything special. So has Odin's family just been resident Gods on a planet of mortals?

MCU Asgardians have always bugged me. In the first two movies they were so afraid of doing anything too out there that they were like, "No, we're not mythological, just lifeforms with technology indistinguishable from magic. Definitely not immortal, either, we just live for a few thousand years."

Then Taiki's movies somehow made them both more and less fantastical. I swear, when Gorr showed up on Earth and started attacking, I didn't even know those were Asgardians. I thought he kidnapped a bunch of random townie kids until someone specifically said it.

MrBlud

Citizen
Going by AOS (and it’s questionable canonocity) Asgardians *are* exceptionally long lived and have superior strength compared to humans.

It’s possible Thor’s enhanced abilities post Ragnarok are a result of him possessing the Odinforce but the Movies haven’t explicitly laid that out.

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
It’s possible Thor’s enhanced abilities post Ragnarok are a result of him possessing the Odinforce but the Movies haven’t explicitly laid that out.

It's funny, when Thor
passed his power on to the kids at the end, I didn't really have an issue with it. I actually thought it was kind of clever; Odin could do it, so now that he's gone, of course Thor can do it.
But you're right, they really didn't establish that at all.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
I've always viewed them as being dramatically longer lived, somewhat stronger and heartier than humans but nothing crazy. Just like humans they have exceptional warrior, that arn't truly super human, this would be the warriors 3 for Asguardians, Hawkeye, Blackwidow etc for humans, and then super powered being like Thor, Himdal, Odin, Valkyrie etc.

Dessl0ck

Citizen
The ABSOLUTE worst thing about Love & Thunder is the fact that Ragnarok exists. It's the Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi problem all over again.

Axaday

Citizen
I've always viewed them as being dramatically longer lived, somewhat stronger and heartier than humans but nothing crazy. Just like humans they have exceptional warrior, that arn't truly super human, this would be the warriors 3 for Asguardians, Hawkeye, Blackwidow etc for humans, and then super powered being like Thor, Himdal, Odin, Valkyrie etc.
What superpowers does Valkyrie have?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The thing that puzzles me about the whole "gods vs. not-gods" thing with the Asgardians, Odin's family, and now the new things introduced in this movie, is that sometimes these movies pretend like they actually are divine in nature, and sometimes the movies act like they're just really powerful alien beings whom mortals have simply worshipped as gods but are not actually deities themselves. The MCU really needs to make up its mind about which it is.

MrBlud

Citizen
Given Clark’s third law “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” is there a meaningful difference?

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
It's funny, when Thor
passed his power on to the kids at the end, I didn't really have an issue with it. I actually thought it was kind of clever; Odin could do it, so now that he's gone, of course Thor can do it.
But you're right, they really didn't establish that at all.
That part made me tear up. A whole new generation. It was like Shazam. Made me think of Legion of Super-Heroes too.

He did say the powers were temporary but I'd love to think that the weapons held over a small spark and they would eventually become Mjolnir types when they become of age.

Top Bottom