Obi-Wan Kenobi - streaming on Disney+

Xellos

Citizen
Wonder if Luke and Leia ever talked about being chased by lady Inquisitor, when they were ten, and on the same week too. Wouldn't be surprised if there's already a Marvel comic being writen about the trio reuniting.
Well, technically...
He is told they are being attacked by Tusken Raiders, leaves the room he was in right before Reva came in, and she had the lightsaber off while following him in the dark. I think they were trying to show that he never saw her fully, never saw the lightsaber on, and was knocked out and stayed unconscious. He probably always thought it was a Tusken Raider attack.

Axaday

Citizen
Remember when we first heard that Hayden would be in it and fans were saying "You know the 'Obi-Wan once thought as you' line actually does leave an opening to stick a story in." But they didn't stick a story in there.

It was really spooky to me to hear the mix of Anakin and Vader's voice coming from the broken head in the broken helmet. It makes you see Vader was actually a lot more like Kylo Ren than you'd usually think. The suit and the vocoder make him big and imposing, but he is neither really. It's getting me more interested in the character today.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
It was better than Book of Boba Fett but that's a pretty low bar.

That being said

Obi-wan has now had TWO chances to end the deadliest man in the galaxy. The first time I can sort of let slide because "brother" and whatnot. I mean, leaving a person you love to slowly burn to death on the side of a lava river seems pretty rough, but he just couldn't bring himself to finish Anakin off - ok. But now you discover that the murderous Sith cyborg terrorizing the galaxy is none other than the very man you left for dead, who you have at your mercy and you STILL don't do it? Come on man.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
It should have ended more like this, except with something else preventing the killing strike...

Cradok

Citizen
Yep, that was definitely six episodes of events.

Less cruelly, I did enjoy a lot of it, even if someone was clearly copying Fallen Order's homework. Everything with Leia was great. Hayden and Ewan were both great. Acting in general was good. But...

A question that every prequel needs to be able to answer is 'why does this exist, what is interesting about this story about which we know the future that needs to be told'. Why do the Prequels exist? To tell the story of Anakin, the Republic, the Rise of the Empire. Cool, that's all good, something people had wanted to know about, something you can work with. Why does Rogue One exist? To fill in the story told by the opening crawl of A New Hope, that's got to be interesting, how those plans were stolen.

Why does this exist? What story is so important that it needs to be weaved in and around what comes after?

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Maybe first 30 - 45 min covered episode 1 and finding Anakin. Skip the pod race and him feeling cold in space.

Dvandom

Citizen
"When I left you, I was but a learner," has now had to be extensively recontextualized. It originally felt like "I haven't seen you since I was your student," now it's "Let's just forget those two fights a few years ago and just focus on when I left the Jedi Order."

---Dave

Sean Whitmore

Citizen
Eh, it's no more recontextualized now than it had been by ROTS.

Because you're right, the original interpretation was definitely "I haven't seen you since I was your student." Some people think the Mustafar scene sidesteps an incongruity, that Vader still considered himself a "learner" in that meeting because he lost the fight. I am not one of those people, but if that's the standard (learner = I lost), it doesn't apply any less now.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw it.

I replayed the holo Reva got from ep5. It didn't seem like enough of a statement for her to go do what she did. Like, considering what happened to her, she'd probably assume Vader wants more younglings to kill (haha).

Dake

Citizen
Yeah. Watching it with closed captioning and the transmission says:

"If he's found you... If he's learned of the children.... I'll head to Tatooine.... Owen wi - ... help the boy."

There are a few issues there then. Reva never knew who Leia actually was, she only kidnapped her b/c of Bail's connection with Obi-wan. I think we're supposed to assume that she remembered the name Owen from their previous interaction, so I suppose that explains how she knew where on Tatooine to start looking. But yeah, it still doesn't really explain why she would look for Luke to kill him. Not to mention, Bail never actually showed up!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
That's what I thought too. What was her motivation? I thought perhaps she'd capture whoever the boy is and try to bring him to Vader, to try and get in close again. Or maybe even protect the boy. But she really was out to kill him?

Axaday

Citizen
Yep, that was definitely six episodes of events.

Less cruelly, I did enjoy a lot of it, even if someone was clearly copying Fallen Order's homework. Everything with Leia was great. Hayden and Ewan were both great. Acting in general was good. But...

A question that every prequel needs to be able to answer is 'why does this exist, what is interesting about this story about which we know the future that needs to be told'. Why do the Prequels exist? To tell the story of Anakin, the Republic, the Rise of the Empire. Cool, that's all good, something people had wanted to know about, something you can work with. Why does Rogue One exist? To fill in the story told by the opening crawl of A New Hope, that's got to be interesting, how those plans were stolen.

Why does this exist? What story is so important that it needs to be weaved in and around what comes after?

It was fun and people really wanted to see Ewan McGregor play an older Obi-Wan. The story was made to provide that with as little impact on continuity as possible. I'm okay with that. I would love something with more meat, but I can accept this.

Dake said:
I think we're supposed to assume that she remembered the name Owen from their previous interaction, so I suppose that explains how she knew where on Tatooine to start looking.

I don't know what the population of Tatooine is. I suppose she could assume that if Organa is contacting Kenobi concerning "Owen", then Kenobi is closely associated with Owen and Owen lives in the area of Mos Eisley. Maybe that is a hunch worth playing if it is important. But I still chuckle at her internal monologue. "Wait a second. I MET the Owen on that planet!"

Dvandom

Citizen
It's pretty clear from the Owen homestead fight that Reva somehow made the connection that Luke was Anakin's son, even if the story doesn't really support her figuring that out.

---Dave

Axaday

Citizen
I feel like it could be that someone could hide on Tatooine because it is a wilderness planet and no one keeps records.

But maybe that part just doesn't really happen in a futuristic galaxy long ago. Maybe as soon as she listened to the message, she got to a computer and found there is only one Owen, an Owen Lars, in the vicinity of Mos Eisley and he lives at that moisture farm there and yep he's the guy I met last week and he has a foster kid named Luke SKYWALKER.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Yeah of the many decisions lucas made, having anakin have the last name skywalker/not having them change lukes name when he went into hiding... not his best.

Top Bottom