Obi-Wan Kenobi - streaming on Disney+

MrBlud

Citizen
That was a nice cliffhanger but I don’t know how exactly Reva is supposed to do anything about it with a “fatal if untreated” chest wound trapped on an abandoned planet. Provided she doesn’t die there, whatever solution they come up with is going to strain credibility I fear.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well she already survived one stab through the gut as a youngling, Not too much of a stretch for her to use her hate to power on through to make an attempt on Luke and Owen

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
Wait, kid Reva getting stabbed was a literal event and not some weird metaphor thing??? Jesus this show is stupid

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
This is Star Wars. It’s not meant to be high art.

2ED1B0B5-C457-40DF-8A20-DE28C7D28551.jpeg

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I kind of get the feeling the wonkiness is a result of it starting as a movie, got converted to a series, and then that original series got retooled later on. The first three episodes in particular, felt like there was some wheel spinning for the sake of getting a full 6 episodes out of this instead of settling to 3 or 4 with tighter pacing.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Some musings of mine in no particular order...

I wish someone would tell the guy in the Vader suit that it's okay to do something with his hands. He doesn't have to let them hang slack by his sides all the time.

The way Vader didn't even bother igniting his lightsaber and simply used his Force powers against Reva is how I always thought Yoda and the Emperor should have fought in the prequels.

I wonder why Vader didn't use that little trick of his to prevent the Falcon from escaping Echo Base in TESB.

And what the hell is it with stormtroopers closing to melee range when fighting Jedi? They sacrifice their biggest tactical advantage by doing that.

They'd be even smarter if they actually sought cover so the Jedi couldn't easily deflect their blaster shots right back at them.

How many stormtroopers did that ragtag band of fugitives take down, anyway? Was that supposed to be Vader's 501st Legion?!

I'll say this much, it was nice seeing prequel-era Obi-Wan and Anakin not acting wooden for once. Their performances actually felt more natural for a change.

I guess a competent director really does make all the difference. I can only imagine how different many would feel about the prequels if Lucas had simply hired someone else to direct them.

Did they even bother de-aging Hayden's face for the flashback scenes? He's one rough-looking 20-year old.

Dake

Citizen
I think they figured Hayden was close enough to not de-age (as long as you hadn't watched Ep 2 in a while). That being said, I think it would've worked better if they gave him his ROTS hair since he was supposed to be a bit more grizzled by then.

Anyway, I continue to enjoy it. Sure there are some pacing issues (which seems to be the case for almost every Disney+ show Star Wars or Marvel), but I think they've done a good job fitting this in without throwing things off.

Pale Rider

Citizen
To make it even worse, that flashback takes place before AOTC. You can see that Anakin still has both flesh-and-blood hands in it.

Dake

Citizen
To make it even worse, that flashback takes place before AOTC. You can see that Anakin still has both flesh-and-blood hands in it.

Yeah. The only thing I can think is they thought it would be weird for them to be sparring after Anakin had been made a Jedi Knight and given a Padawan of his own.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Well todays episode was... better? I dunno it had issues and the persisting weird logic going on. It was a least more entertaining

Pale Rider

Citizen
Can anyone think of a reason why Reva didn't just slice through that door from the outset? Why try to batter it down with the blaster cannon?

Pale Rider

Citizen
In before "iT'S A KiDs sHoW AbOuT SpAcE WiZaRdS!1!!" is once again used to excuse bad writing.

Last edited:

Cradok

Citizen
If I had a nickel for every time a black Jedi trainee felt the Order had failed her and became an Inquisitorial Sister whose turn was followed by an unwinnable fight against Vader, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Neither is it "turn your brain off" entertainment. I've been enjoying a fair amount of Star Wars content lately, and while a lot have their odd quirks, it never gets so bad I have to throw logic out the window and convince myself that's normal.

In before "iT'S A KiDs sHoW AbOuT SpAcE WiZaRdS!1!!" is once again used to excuse bad writing.
It's so cute that you've convinced yourself otherwise. Sure the franchise can be deeper and has some thinking moments but overall SW has never been a bastion of good writing. If you over analyze it there's no doubt your going to find flaws in every piece of the franchise. You can try putting it on a pedestal as something that is supposed to be an epic saga worthy of the best authors ever, but your just setting yourself up for disappointment. Heck we already know George's writing is pretty bad without someone to reign him in.

But niticking over it will always kill the enjoyment if you overdo it. Why did Vader do this now when he didn't do it later in ESB... Part of it is expansion of the media showing the force off in greater capacity and some of it has to do with the increase of special effects in the last 40 years. Theres certainly a lot more they can do with CG over Practical effects over time.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Like all the Star Wars live action shows, it had good moments intermixed with some otherwise questionable writing. The one thing about this episode that bothered me most was:

Did the empire not have enough people to cover both the front AND back door of the rebel stronghold? Why did anyone think that opening the launch bay doors would do anything but let the bad guys in? I mean, they were right, but the shouldn't have been!

PiratedTVPro

Ancient Protoform
Citizen
I kind of get the feeling the wonkiness is a result of it starting as a movie, got converted to a series, and then that original series got retooled later on. The first three episodes in particular, felt like there was some wheel spinning for the sake of getting a full 6 episodes out of this instead of settling to 3 or 4 with tighter pacing.
I agree. There's only a movie's worth of plot that's being pulled into six episodes. This episode especially could have been 20 minutes and been better for it. At some point tracing rows of stormtroopers with different angles just seems overindulgent the fourth or fifth time.

Edit: to say that I eagerly await the two-hour fan edit.

Pale Rider

Citizen
Like all the Star Wars live action shows, it had good moments intermixed with some otherwise questionable writing. The one thing about this episode that bothered me most was:

Did the empire not have enough people to cover both the front AND back door of the rebel stronghold? Why did anyone think that opening the launch bay doors would do anything but let the bad guys in? I mean, they were right, but the shouldn't have been!
Even a couple TIE fighters circling overhead to provide air support would have been good enough, I think. It's not as if the stronghold was defended by a shield or laser cannons.

Top Bottom